V4 i/c replaces V1 i/c

Search this Thread

Old 11 December 2005, 12:40 PM
sti69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool V4 i/c replaces V1 i/c

At last the mod is complete and i never want to do this again

As the title says i decided to upgrade my intercooler from the old slanty type to the proper tuned sti type (V4). I bought the i/c of ebay (£60) and purchased TCS22 samco hose (£48 from scoobyparts). So the first mod was to remove the elbow of the i/c and have it blanked off via some TIG welding (thanks to Flavell welding 01642 678808 £10) and the next step was to clean up and straighting some of the cooling veins.

Old i/c before the tool box came out!

New i/c wouldnt fit so a little mod to the bodywork was needed (rubber hammer and a hacksaw) to help fold the metal work!

Out with the old and in with the new...

Then chop a large chunk of the hose to help make it fit...
Now this bit was a complete nightmare, there was now room to fit the hose (i/c to t/body) so large hacksaw was needed... about 6mm was taken of the i/c and also the t/body (made sure no metal deposits was in the i/c and t/body). Then the next nightmare i had was trying to get the hose onto the turbo with a lot of patience it finally went on.

The end result...

The next thing to do is to make up a bracket to hold the i/c to the engine,that'll be fitted tomorrow when im at work!

After a few test runs in the car the boost gauge is down 1 psi, had a look this morning and the hose from the turbo to the i/c is a little distorted (flat). Wonder if the hose does expand when coming on boost. I'll keep a eye on that and if probs occur then the old i/c will be going back on.

I read a thread that someone fitted a V5 i/c to a classic and was wondering if he had the same problem with turbo hose?

Have fun anyone who's gunna do the same mod!!!!