Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do people do when you undertake them?

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2005, 10:09 PM
WRXTURBOWAGON
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face what do people do when you undertake them?

ok, after much thought on this (and passing the mid-twenties age) i no longer feel like the bad guy when undertaking someone who is in the wrong lane.

so what have lane hoggers done to you when you've flown past them on the inside lane?

i've had several who then go into tailgate mode, a couple that pull along side to give me the finger, and one idiot beckoning me to race bouncing up and down (quite mad) as he is arguing with his wife

but yeah, always used to feel like the bad guy doing this, but i hate tailgating to get people to move aside, it's not safe, so after say ~10 seconds of closing up on them i usually drop back then undertake, so sue me
Old 10 December 2005, 10:19 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Depends on the situation really, if there are lots of cars in the left lane and the guy was just overtaking someone - i usually give them plenty of time to realise that everything is clear to change lanes safely.

On the other hand if there arent any cars to be seen within 10 miles radius, why wait 10 seconds - as the guy is clearly an idiot
Old 10 December 2005, 10:22 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I don't undertake, it's illegal and dangerous.
Old 10 December 2005, 10:27 PM
Arctic Chill
Scooby Newbie

There is a difference between undertaking and making progress. If someone is in the centre or outside lane and safe progress can be made in the inside lane then do it. As long as you're not swapping lanes in and out of traffic it is not undertaking.
Old 10 December 2005, 10:33 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

After giving them 2 x 130w blasts of light and no reaction then I will undertake, If i get flashed the window goes down and a finger goes out pointing to the left of me but after driving down the M4 to newbury last night and trying to negociate the rutts in the inside lane I now have a somewhat different opinion
Old 10 December 2005, 10:39 PM
paulg1979
Scooby Regular

I don't let it bother me. I'd just sit behind them until they get bored of being an **** and move over. I just cruise past and smile. A sort of what a *** smile!!!
Old 10 December 2005, 10:41 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do a lot of mileage around the UK and find that I have to do alot of undertaking in the Birmingham area, esp. the M6 toll road.
Is there some local law that permits Brummies to keep in the outside lane at all times?

As to what the hogger does, 99% of the time nothing as they seem to be some sort of trance.

Nick
Old 10 December 2005, 10:46 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I did my BMW "live in the fast lane" trick yesturday to a Chavelier in Lane 3 whilst the other two lanes were empty. Hovered close enough so his mirrors was filled with headlamps (if you get too close he won't see the headlamps..better to give a 1.5 car lengths for optimum dazzling, and making sure the headlamps filled both his interior and offside mirrors.

Got the message after 30 seconds, politely indicating and moving out the way.

I was in no particular rush so I was quite happy to annoy him as much as was annoying me

However, if if I'm in lane 1 or lane 2 and doing under 70mph, where traffic slows on the outer lanes. Then I'm quite happy to procede and undertake with caution. As it technically is legal. Let the feejits get on with bunching up with 1ft between them in lane 3- it's their insurance
Old 10 December 2005, 11:03 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Undertaking through anticipating traffic slowing in the lane youre in and pulling left is good driving in my book. The main danger with undertaking is that many drivers will not expect you to be there on the left of them and you will be in their blind spot for a few cruicial seconds as you go past, to minimise this risk try and go past at at least 120mph(only joking). But its far worse the tailgating that goes on on motorways, lets face it how many times have you seen 3 or 4 cars all in the back of each other in the fast lane. I used to come down from jct 16 of the M6 a lot and there would be empty middle and slow lanes and a full fast lane, I quite often pull across into the slow lane when undertaking so that anyone diving from the fast to the middle has some space, on one journey a car had got annoyed because i had undertook him and had been determined to get past me which he did by undertaking and then getting back into the fast lane and promptly getting involved in a multicar shunt which i watched with amusement from the slow lane. The mistake people make is concentrating on one car and preventing them getting in front instead of anticipating and being aware of the entire environment.
Old 10 December 2005, 11:15 PM
WRXTURBOWAGON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
never?? every driver in the land of realism knows that the motorway lanes are 70/80/90 the driver that is driving 70mph in the fast lane (with a driver close behind him) thinking to himself "i am doing the legal limit" is a danger on the road, as people above have said, it's about awareness.

i guess you must stick to the speed limit in a Scooby () all the time to say that, don't stay in the RH lane if the LH lane is clear, it's pretty simple really
Old 10 December 2005, 11:46 PM
stevie boy
Scooby Regular

i give a couple of flashes, maybe a blast on the horn and if no reaction proceed to send 44 ton up the inside. idiots doing 45/50 in the middle lane are the danger and they don't have enough **** about them to have a licence or at least be on a motorway.

its not technically illegal to undertake when in a traffic jam or heavy sub limit speeds.

stevie
Old 10 December 2005, 11:47 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Normally I flash them repeatedly from behind. If they don't move over into the slow lane I overtake them on the right side. Then with hazard lights on I aggressively cut accross into the slow lane to draw their attention to which lane they ought to be in and to alert them to the fact that they are a hazard.

Sometimes I undertake, but slowly and try and make eye contact as I go past. Never had anybody give chase because I've undertaken them...

They are a damn annoyance though and the motorway would flow so much better if they moved into the correct lane. I am sure though as they sit their in the middle lane, oblivious to the problems they are causing behind, they are congratulating themselves on their excellent driving - they are sticking at 70mph. Probably wondering why they are getting 'road rage'... lol.
Old 10 December 2005, 11:56 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

'Undertaking' isnt illegal, although it isnt particularly safe. If you do end up having an accident then youll almost certainly be held partly responsible, even if the other driver just pulls into you.

Simon
Old 11 December 2005, 12:01 AM
Arctic Chill
Scooby Newbie

I agree with GC8, although it all depends on the circumstances. Weaving in and out of heavy traffic is a no no (people still do it anyway), but a carefull passing move is fine. It's all about that word carefull.
Old 11 December 2005, 12:16 AM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
agreed. just sit tight and flash them if need be
Old 11 December 2005, 09:00 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
'Undertaking' isnt illegal, although it isnt particularly safe. If you do end up having an accident then youll almost certainly be held partly responsible, even if the other driver just pulls into you.

Simon

Undertaking is illegal if you change lanes to the left with the specific intention of getting past another vehicle - although rather than a named offence I believe it falls under Due Care and Attention. However, if you are already in a lane to the left, then it is perfectly legal to sail past the numpty in the wrong lane - which is what I do.

Generally I never get any reaction. Maybe once or twice they've then moved into the correct lane, but mostly they just trundle on, oblivious.

M
Old 11 December 2005, 09:16 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

OOH one of my pet hate on the motorway - along with lack of indicating !
If I judge that its safe to do so then I will undertake and the ones that are vaguely awake tend to eventually move back to the n/s lane. The really dangerous one IMHO are the ones that are in thumb in **** brain in neutral mode and dont move back.
If I'm feeling inclined I just slow down (still in n/s lane) let them over take me and then and move to the o/s and overtake them and then move back to the n/s while
slowing down and very pointed indicating.
Was looking at led mesage board for the back windows to diplay message such as observe correct lane disapline (SP??)- any one know the legality on them ?
richard
Old 11 December 2005, 09:17 AM
speedy1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lane discipline in the UK is pretty poor, especially in Ulster. Go over to mainland europe to see how its done . I have/do undertake, but with a close eye on the copus mentus pilot who's on autopilot. If you look at them closely you'd probably see them dribble , or overtake them then shoot straight across into the inside lane, soon they do the same - wheres all the coppa's
Old 11 December 2005, 09:26 AM
speedy1
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oh yeah and see when the traffic is heavy and slow, you get the C*CK undertaking to pull back into the outside lane, or the T*at who pulls into your braking distance OOOOOOOOOOOO (in a Yo samity sam tone). , Im going now cos im getting mad.
Old 11 December 2005, 09:34 AM
pnbond007
Scooby Regular

If I didn't lane change 'with caution' dependant on traffic flow, I would still be going to work last Tuesday.

The M1 is a typical example of a motorway where this happens, on the whole quite safely, however white van man comes along without respect for other road users, darting in & out of gap's, it's these guy's who put other road users at risk.

M6 Junc 3 to M1 Junc 14 daily....
Old 11 December 2005, 09:36 AM
DMC12
Scooby Regular

What was that game someone came up with a while ago on here....? The idea was to overtake them then pull back into the first lane and slow down so they overtake you again. You then pull out and overtake and so on. The idea was to see how many times you can ring round them before they took a hint.
Old 11 December 2005, 09:40 AM
kwispel
Scooby Regular

With residences in two countries slightly apart (UK (South-Wales even) and Northern-Finland), I tend to do quite a bit of miles across Europe and lane discipline seems about the same in everye country: P*SS-POOR !

I catalogue it as pure arrogance: "I am not driving faster so you should not either".

Only 'heaven' is Germany (on the unrestricted bits). Approach at 130 or 140mph and whereas your reflex is to hit the brakes fairly early when there is someone ahead in the outside lane, you'll find they often already moved aside by the time you found the brakes. Pretty amazing in fact. Simple result of the fact that they know they do not have the law on their side if they're in driving slower than some-one else in the outside lane.
(PS: rule does not apply if he/she is East German or Danish ).

As for undertaking: in earlier years, I'd either tailgate either undertake fast.

If I'm on an empty motorway, I'll still do that. I don't need other people telling me I should not break the speed limit. There is enough police about to do so.

If I'm on the M25 or another busy motorway, I tend to wait for a sec behind the guy (reasonably close, but not stuck to his bumper). If he doesn't get it, I will move to the inside and undertake him slowly doing as if I am keeping at my own speed in my lane.

First step to get rid of lane-hoggers might be to forbid BMW sales in the UK and VW sales in Belgium
Old 11 December 2005, 10:08 AM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

I don't undertake, and am very very rarely undertaken (if someone's about to try it, and - read on - there's only one circumstance when they could, I'll pull over and let them past).

I don't stay in the outside lane unless either I want to get past someone else who's in the outside lane, or there's traffic on the left close enough that if I do pull over, by the time I am up behind the traffic on the left, I'll end up boxed in by any traffic behind me which has now filled the outside lane. NB if the road ahead is clear, I will never be doing less than 70 (unless the weather's shocking!).

Where it does get dangerous, and this is the point I'm referring to earlier, is where I'm waiting to get past an outside lane hogger and there's no reason at all for them to be sitting there and not moving over, I'll come up first, if no sign of moving over, hit the indicator, no movement then = flash the lights, if still nothing horn and hand signals, if they still don't move then I'll either give up and sit behind them or move left, but still not move past them, and let my blood cool. But what occasionally happens is Mr Impatient comes up behind both of us, decides they are too important to wait while the Mr Slow in front of me gets out of the way and we can both get by, and tries to undertake the both of us.

So now Mr Slow in the car in front of me, who can't see who's behind me, might see my signals and decide to pull left while Mr Impatient is thundering up the inside lane in Mr Slow's left shoulder blind spot. Not clever, and highly dangerous for all 3 cars.

I therefore won't let that happen and as soon as I get a sniff Mr Impatient is gonna undertake, I'll signal and pull in to the left. Sure he's gonna get angry because I'm blocking him, but he can go round me instead.

Maybe he can get Mr Slow to move left and we can all be on our way...

And then there's the other type of lane hogger who does move over right away, but accelerates to stay alongside you...
Old 11 December 2005, 10:39 AM
kwispel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Crosstalk
And then there's the other type of lane hogger who does move over right away, but accelerates to stay alongside you...
Can only happens if he's got a scoob. And scoobydrivers don't hog lanes
Old 11 December 2005, 10:43 AM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kwispel
Can only happens if he's got a scoob. And scoobydrivers don't hog lanes
Ok, tries to accelerate to stay alongside you...
Old 11 December 2005, 10:52 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Try driving a van with a little less power than a scoob!

For example yesterday driving in lane one at 70mph come up behind a car doing about 65mph move out to lane 2 to overtake just as I get level with the car they floor it and speed up to about 80mph I pull back in behind them. About 2 miles further down the road I catch up with them again as they have slowed down to 65mph, I move out and overtake and just manage to pull in front and carry on trunderling at 70mph on cruise.

30 seconds later the car comes tearing past me at 80mph and pulls in front of me. About 5 miles further down the road I catch up with it again!!!! I get this all the time and it drives me mad although it must be worse if your in a truck!

Why dont people like being overtaken?
Old 11 December 2005, 04:30 PM
kwispel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Crosstalk
Ok, tries to accelerate to stay alongside you...
Old 11 December 2005, 07:27 PM
Harvez
Scooby Regular

Is it still illgeal to undertake ? Because i thought the police had changed the law so basically if someone is sat in the outside line, and someone under takes that person who isnt over taking anythin - the police man would be more inclined to pull over whoeva is sat in the outside lane ?? This done ovbously to prevent people sitting in the outside lane

Ive had a Misti Warrior follow me for about 5 miles with his horn down He was sat in the outside lane, not over taking anythin, and after 5 minutes got bored of him decidin that everyone was gonna do 80mph cause he wanted to, so just accel in 5th, not much effert and he finally decided to speed up once he noticed i was about to undertake him but didnt work ovb, then proceded to follow me with his horn going. Idiots like that really get my back up !
Old 11 December 2005, 08:23 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Undertaking in itself is not an offence. However if you are weaving between lanes to make progress, as already pointed out earlier in the thread you are most likely to be pulled over and possibly reported for driving without due consideration or some other offence depending on the manner of driving and speed.
Old 12 December 2005, 09:05 AM
spender
Scooby Regular

I used lane 1 of the M40 yesterday for 3 miles at 70 mph whilst lanes 2 and 3 were chocker and crawling at 50mph..................

Quick Reply: what do people do when you undertake them?