Opinions on this Type R please!

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2005, 09:39 PM
redbullit
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this Type R please!

Evening all,

Been considering buying a Scoobie for a few months now. I've mainly been looking as P1's... not sure why, but I've always liked them. However so far I've not found the 'right' one (I know... they're all the same!).

A couple of days ago, however, I came across this scoobie for sale... http://www.virtual-showroom.co.uk/sc.../CSS/JCT28.CSS ... not sure if this forum supports clickable links though.

Anyway, does anyone know of this car? What, from the ad, do you people think of the (sketchy) details on the car? I'll be looking at taking some of the mods off the car (Lexus lights will be melted straight away!). I'd de-tune the engine to satisfy insurance needs.

Other questions: is the Type R a UK car? What's the difference between a P1 and a Type R? Does the Type R have the same worrying MAF fault as the P1's?

I'd very much appreciate any info - I'm very new to Scoobies, and I don't know of any sensible people to ask locally (Anglesey).

Many thanks!
Old 29 November 2005, 10:08 PM
rooferman
Scooby Regular

Thousands spent including a top draft hatch!!!!!

If your going to buy a type r you need to research them,and try to buy one directly from a scooby boffin....IMO

There have been some fine examples for sale recently on this site,.
Old 29 November 2005, 10:18 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

looks ok with exception to the lexus lights looks quite std from the pictures. it has the same maf probs as the p1, as the p1 is based on said car. the type r has more toys less the abs, but subaru abs is crap on classics so no great loss.if you do decide to buy make sure you get a knock link and run it on opimax and booster if it hasnt already been maped for uk fuel, then just the knock link. if you need more info on the type ask in the gallery section in the type r corner as its quite active in there

mike
Old 29 November 2005, 10:19 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The Type R is not a UK car and is only available as a Japanese import.
The Type R has a shorter ratio gearbox, dccd, no abs and 2 pot rear brakes. The MAF problems are associated with all Imprezas made from 99 onwards.
Old 29 November 2005, 10:25 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Seen the car in the flesh, Jct 28, they're near the missus mum, it'll need a bit of TLC and tidying, prob a bit over priced, but then it does have a roof vent, the car was 15k a few months back so just shows, seriously have a look, it maybe for you but look at a few others as well, even ones outside your budget you'll be able to then judge whats worth what.
Old 29 November 2005, 10:32 PM
R25 sti
Scooby Regular

there is alot of info on this site about type R,s,if you do a search i have a type R myself and love it.the main difference i suppose is the dccd (which the type R has) the p1 has abs instead.as for the top draft hatch this is standard on this type R which suggests the seller dose not know what he is talking about.having said that which ever car you buy get a proper check done on it(aa,rac,hpi).as said before i have also seen a few good examples for sale on this site recently

p.s i will send you the matches for the light melting.
Old 29 November 2005, 10:35 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

they are ok at jct 28, they have been going for a fair whilst now and have a good reputation round here. I am sure they will have some play in the price though
Old 29 November 2005, 10:37 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

It looks overpriced to me. As rooferman says - buy one from an enthusaist - someone who knows what they are talking about. There is a much nicer car still for sale here.
Old 30 November 2005, 07:44 AM
redbullit
Scooby Newbie

Excellent, thanks a lot everyone! Good to hear there's a few type R's around. I was thinking of 'popping over' to have a look at this one on Saturday (mainly because I'll be bored!), so it might be good just to have a look. It certainly looks the part anyway.

I'll run a few searches on here to get myself familiar. £12.3K was at the limit of my budget, so I don't want anything going wrong afterwards!

Again, many thanks for the info. I'll hopefully be on here a lot more often soon.

Amusingly, I hadn't logged on here for a while, so it was showing at the top of the screen 'You last visited: 1st January 1970' lol... I wasn't even born then!
Old 30 November 2005, 07:50 AM
redbullit
Scooby Newbie

There is a much nicer car still for sale here.
Now that looks promising! £11.5K too! Might be getting a phone call soon!

Thanks!
Old 30 November 2005, 09:17 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by redbullit
Now that looks promising! £11.5K too! Might be getting a phone call soon!

Thanks!
It is a fantastic motor too - very rare in the UK
Old 30 November 2005, 09:42 AM
TAINTON
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terryb
It looks overpriced to me. As rooferman says - buy one from an enthusaist - someone who knows what they are talking about. There is a much nicer car still for sale here.
Can vouch for this car too seen at Chesterfield Meets and is in mint....that means MINT condition. And the flocked dashboard looks great too.

Would have got this if the timming would have been better.......people do seem to rate the Type R more than the P1 but I certainly couldnt comment owning a uk2000

Best of luck
Old 30 November 2005, 10:06 AM
redbullit
Scooby Newbie

Mint is good! So does the fella live near Chesterfield I take it? Sent him a PM, but based on his previous posts - he may not be able to access it for a while.

Scratch that... I should phone him really!