Bangs for buck

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2005, 08:20 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bangs for buck

Hi,

I used to come on here a bit (as Beestie) when I had my old MY97 and am now thinking of coming back to the fold. I've done a bit of checking and forum searching and have ended up confusing myself and nothing else. My question is this- given a budget of around 15K what is the best Impreza I can get?
Unfortunately I can't consider a jap import for various reasons so that's all the best cars out. I also don't want a bugeye under any circumstances so I'm left with the blobeye I guess.
What I'd really like is an STI wagon but they didn't seem to make that model in the UK.
So a few questions. What differences are there with the STI over the WRX (other than power), could I get similar horsepower to an STI by chipping a WRX? Also did any of the cars come with Xenon lights?
I've been looking at EVO's at around the 15-16K mark which come with Xenons and better brakes than the scoobs. I'd buy one but can't live with 4.5K service intervals. The scoob is 10K now right?
So many questions and so little time to decide, I should have added I only want to buy from a dealer unless anyone would be interested in my px, a Golf MKIV PD150.
Old 23 November 2005, 08:52 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rabid
Hi,

I used to come on here a bit (as Beestie) when I had my old MY97 and am now thinking of coming back to the fold. I've done a bit of checking and forum searching and have ended up confusing myself and nothing else. My question is this- given a budget of around 15K what is the best Impreza I can get?
Unfortunately I can't consider a jap import for various reasons so that's all the best cars out. I also don't want a bugeye under any circumstances so I'm left with the blobeye I guess.
What I'd really like is an STI wagon but they didn't seem to make that model in the UK.
So a few questions. What differences are there with the STI over the WRX (other than power), could I get similar horsepower to an STI by chipping a WRX? Also did any of the cars come with Xenon lights?
I've been looking at EVO's at around the 15-16K mark which come with Xenons and better brakes than the scoobs. I'd buy one but can't live with 4.5K service intervals. The scoob is 10K now right?
So many questions and so little time to decide, I should have added I only want to buy from a dealer unless anyone would be interested in my px, a Golf MKIV PD150.
You can get a wagon WRX with PPP fitted to give you 265hp. How far you want to mod it after that is up to you but at least with that you keep the warranty. I wouldnt ever pay extra or consider xenons as an option as ive had them before on my S3 and they were not significantly better than normal halogen headlights in fact i feel that the lights on my wrx are better as i allways felt the xenons pointed too low and as they are self levelling you cant alter it. They may be brighter but if they point down its pointless. They do look cool however from outside but you as the driver dont get to appreciate that.
Scoob service intervals are 10k. I was the same as you. Considered EVO also but 4.5k is a joke.

You should get a cracking wrx wagon with your budget. Probably about 1.5 years old or less. Or import brand new. I would be wairy of warranty issues though on an import.
Old 23 November 2005, 02:58 PM
Rabid
BANNED

Originally Posted by sgcooby
You can get a wagon WRX with PPP fitted to give you 265hp. How far you want to mod it after that is up to you but at least with that you keep the warranty. I wouldnt ever pay extra or consider xenons as an option as ive had them before on my S3 and they were not significantly better than normal halogen headlights in fact i feel that the lights on my wrx are better as i allways felt the xenons pointed too low and as they are self levelling you cant alter it. They may be brighter but if they point down its pointless. They do look cool however from outside but you as the driver dont get to appreciate that.
Scoob service intervals are 10k. I was the same as you. Considered EVO also but 4.5k is a joke.

You should get a cracking wrx wagon with your budget. Probably about 1.5 years old or less. Or import brand new. I would be wairy of warranty issues though on an import.
Good point about the Xenons, what do you mean about warranty issues with imports? Surely Subaru have to honour a euro warranty. I've seen some of the new 2.5ltr cars for 17K at this place http://www.motorpoint.co.uk/Default.aspx. Let me guess they probably come from Cyprus or something and have no underseal or warranty of any kind!

Still wondering what differences there are between a WRX or STI of MY2003/4 other than BHP though.
Old 23 November 2005, 03:33 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

some light reading on our warranty situation from motorpoint

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...1&page=1&pp=20

basically, no cat1, tracker, underseal or locking wheel nuts, but it does include metallic paint and is £4000 less
(i bought the outgoing model at £15500 2 months ago)

at the moment we are having trouble registering the warranty with subaru Uk.
but somehow we WILL be compensated.

as long as you buy the car and motorpoint tell you you will have a 3 year pan europen, then they are in breach of contract if that doesn't happen.

Last edited by DonnieDarko; 23 November 2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 23 November 2005, 04:15 PM
Rabid
BANNED

motorpoint off the list! cheers Donnie. Now if anyone can point me to a site that outlines the differences between WRX and STI MY's 03/04 I'll be getting somewhere.
Old 23 November 2005, 06:54 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

motorpoint off the list! cheers Donnie. Now if anyone can point me to a site that outlines the differences between WRX and STI MY's 03/04 I'll be getting somewhere.
Subarus own website will tell you. Or hang on a sec someone here will tell you shortly. Quite a lot of differences and the extra cost for these is justified. But it depends what you want and need. Ive only got a WRX in case you were wondering but looked at older sti's but i love my wrx and might try an sti next time. If you want a wagon though its only available in wrx form.
Old 24 November 2005, 01:15 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Mate, a couple here for you :

STi has 265 bhp, compared to WRX 222 bhp, also has a 6 - speed box, Brembo brakes, (which are MILES better), tighter (but harder) suspension, which makes it more nimble, with less body-roll, much better (IMHO) seats, blue carpets, intercooler waterspray, about 2-6 less mpg (depending on your right foot ), higher insurance costs...............that`s all I can think of at the moment.

Sorry if you already know all of this, but there you go.

(I`ve recently owned both BTW, so I know )
Old 24 November 2005, 07:35 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

You also get a DCCD in the STI so you can control the torque split from from to rear.

You can get a PPP to take a WRX upto STI power but you still wont have all the other goodies.

Depends what you want, STI is a lot harder riding therefore WRX better every day car but then obviously STI quicker for weekends but then WRX is still fast enough for a laugh.
Old 24 November 2005, 08:43 AM
Rabid
BANNED

Thanks for that, I'd be looking at a PPP WRX in any case and I guess that the brakes can be sorted when the warranty runs out. Didn't know about the 6 speed box or DCDD I thought they all came later than MY 03/04.
It's looking like a 5 door WRX with PPP for me then.
Old 24 November 2005, 09:21 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that, I'd be looking at a PPP WRX in any case and I guess that the brakes can be sorted when the warranty runs out. Didn't know about the 6 speed box or DCDD I thought they all came later than MY 03/04.
It's looking like a 5 door WRX with PPP for me then.
Brakes arent an issue either. Standard WRX brakes work great. STI probably better but that doesnt mean anything. You will love the car, enjoy.