Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the deal with dealers & my import?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2005, 05:40 PM
OcTag3n
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whats the deal with dealers & my import?

Why do dealers always make that sucking sound with their mouth as soon as I mention my scoob is an import?

They're all the same cars basically aren't they, Jap or UK?

I just changed my rocker cover gaskets & asked a local Subaru dealer if they could source both sides (full sets inc main gaket, spark plug gaskets, half moons & bolt rings) went to pick them up saturday morning only to be given the main gasket & spark plug gaskets. I gave him the chassis number so he could order the correct parts for my car aswell.

When I asked about the missing parts he said "That was all that they sent through to me" & that "imports are different to UK cars, people think they're the same but...."

Not wanting to argue with a man that should know more about the cars than me, I took the gaskets home to fit them, only to find out (after putting it all back together) that it's the half moons that are leaking. So now I gotta take it off again & replace something I should of had in the first place!
Old 21 November 2005, 06:12 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming that this is a Classic then the gasket kits should be identical. Find a better dealer.
Old 21 November 2005, 09:41 PM
Mark_S
Scooby Regular

"They're all the same cars basically aren't they, Jap or UK?"

No, not really, Jap are generally higher spec and stronger internals...
Old 21 November 2005, 10:09 PM
Neutral Cruiser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tonymontana
Why do dealers always make that sucking sound with their mouth as soon as I mention my scoob is an import?

They're all the same cars basically aren't they, Jap or UK?

I just changed my rocker cover gaskets & asked a local Subaru dealer if they could source both sides (full sets inc main gaket, spark plug gaskets, half moons & bolt rings) went to pick them up saturday morning only to be given the main gasket & spark plug gaskets. I gave him the chassis number so he could order the correct parts for my car aswell.

When I asked about the missing parts he said "That was all that they sent through to me" & that "imports are different to UK cars, people think they're the same but...."

Not wanting to argue with a man that should know more about the cars than me, I took the gaskets home to fit them, only to find out (after putting it all back together) that it's the half moons that are leaking. So now I gotta take it off again & replace something I should of had in the first place!
Highly amusing.

Basically that guy couldn't be assed to do his job properly, and you suffered as a result. He's an absolute ****. I would personally put a brick through his window (an import brick or a U.K mmm decisions decisions...)
Old 21 November 2005, 10:14 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

if it's all he got sent then it's not his fault blame the people that he ordered it from.
Old 21 November 2005, 11:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neutral Cruiser
Highly amusing.

Basically that guy couldn't be assed to do his job properly, and you suffered as a result. He's an absolute ****. I would personally put a brick through his window (an import brick or a U.K mmm decisions decisions...)

Liking your style so far.....
Old 22 November 2005, 12:05 AM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Dealers do vary.

I tend to quote my car as a "94 Impreza", rather than a "93 WRX" in an attempt to keep things more simple. Even then, there are some real numpties - like the guy who tried to tell me that the ECU coolant temp sensor was fixed to the radiator

The parts dept should be able to show you the diagram for the gasket set , so you can get exactly what you need - don't foget the bolt gaskets!

Last edited by DaveD; 22 November 2005 at 12:08 AM.