Sponsored by:

whiteline goods..quick question if possible

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2005, 02:24 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default whiteline goods..quick question if possible

ok people very quick question I promise.
Need to book the car in for some whiteline goods, specifically this lot

22mm Rear ARB
Front and rear drop links
anti lift kit

Now I have been quoted by Powerstation for this lot and they include a lot of fitting charges etc and although I see their reason why, I just wanted to know

a) if there are any other places apart from them I should consider (SE)
and
b)is it worth me purchasing the items and then getting someone local to fit them or is it better getting the items and fitting all done at the same place.

Mods..if this is classed as suppliers/technical then please move..just want a simple answer or suggestion as I want to make a decision today
Thx

Last edited by SwissTony; 21 November 2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 21 November 2005, 02:55 PM
speednut
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there Tony,
The front and rear ARB's and drop links you could fit youself quite easily. The anti lift kit is a lot harder and difficult. You have to remove the engine tray, drop the front control arms etc. Once you've got it back together you have to get the tracking (castor/camber) sorted. To get someone else to do it would save you a lot of time and stress. However I'd take it to someone who's done it before. The guys at HPS did my ARB's for me whilst fiitting my coilovers but didn't want to touch the anti lift kit. They also reckoned that it wasn't needed with the new suspension setup. Hope this helps.

Will.
Old 21 November 2005, 03:00 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ARB and drop links are easy to fit yourself (about an hours work). The ALK can be tricky as the bolts can be VERY tight, but all is do-able yourself (or any competent garage).

I don't think you need the car geometry re-aligned after fitting the ALK. You certainly don't with the ARB and drop links.

Demon Tweeks can supply everything (SN users get 15% discount).

At the end of the day, you won't go far wrong with PowerStation, but like all garages they need to make some profit.

Stefan
Old 21 November 2005, 03:02 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

ALK install instructions - http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...hp?threadid=24
Old 21 November 2005, 03:40 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Get your geometry either checked or actually done at the same time. No point in doing half a job imho.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 21 November 2005, 04:49 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

thx guys for all your replies
just what I suspected about the idea of self-fitting (though TBH I havent got the technical aptitude to do that) .
I realise that Powerstation need to charge a fair whack, it was just they were trying to charge a fitting fee for every section, so for example £25 for ARB, £15 for drop links etc and my main query was about getting my local competent garage to do it all for one labour price.
But all your replies have given me a good idea of what to expect and some other helpful advice so cheers

handling improvements here we come
Old 21 November 2005, 04:56 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

I realise that Powerstation need to charge a fair whack, it was just they were trying to charge a fitting fee for every section, so for example £25 for ARB, £15 for drop links etc and my main query was about getting my local competent garage to do it all for one labour price.
My local garage did the same with the labour charge. I can understand they need to do it to give a ball-park on the time it will take. As long as you only pay for the total amount spent on the car and not some "virtual" time, then it should work out OK.

If you can operate a socket set, you can swap the ARB and drop-links yourself - it's not rocket science. Personally, I'd do that and then get them to fit the ALK and adjust the geometry for you (the last bit needs to be done professionally).
Old 21 November 2005, 05:48 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ozzy
If you can operate a socket set, you can swap the ARB and drop-links yourself - it's not rocket science. Personally, I'd do that and then get them to fit the ALK and adjust the geometry for you (the last bit needs to be done professionally).
Echo this - again you may be able to source the parts cheaper from Dave Featherstone at Demon Tweeks (do a search). However would recommend Powerstation fit the ALK and align geometry, and do bumpsteer mod if its for a classic
Old 21 November 2005, 05:52 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

ok drop links and ARB are on their way. to be fitted by either me or any other poor soul i can get to help me (cue massive exodus of friends)

ALK will be done professionally as re the geometry check

bumpsteer mod already on

cheers once again lads
Old 21 November 2005, 06:41 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
ok drop links and ARB are on their way. to be fitted by either me or any other poor soul i can get to help me (cue massive exodus of friends)

ALK will be done professionally as re the geometry check

bumpsteer mod already on

cheers once again lads
As everyone else has said, the droplinks and ARB replacement are an easy DIY job. Look under the back of the car - see the existing drop links and ARB and how they fix on with a pair of bolts on each side? That's all there is to it. When you go to do it, keep the car flat on the ground or put it on ramps. Nothing is under tension or liable to suddenly fly off if you undo the bolts.