Sponsored by:

Decisions decisions re Sat Nav / Road Angel

Search this Thread

Old 19 November 2005, 11:53 AM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Decisions decisions re Sat Nav / Road Angel

I currently have one of the New Road Angels, Road Angel themselves have offered me the opportunity to upgrade to the Road Angel Satellite Navigation unit for £299.

I am interested in getting Sat Nav, but unsure as to whether to go the Road Angel Upgrade route or just get something additional and keep the Road Angel, Argos for example are offereing the Navman 520 for £250 this weekend.

I am tempted to keep Road Angel and get the Navman, as I will retain the Laser Detector facility that the Road Angel has whereas the Road Angel Sat Nav system doesn't feature this facility. I have heard howvere that it is likly that Laser Detection devices will be outlawed fairly swiftly which will make my current Road Angel defunct.....

So my current dillemma is additional Navman or Upgrade, any views on the subject, gratefully received.
Old 19 November 2005, 12:07 PM
John57
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried a Navman but the processor is very slow compared to other units on the market .... entering even postcodes is sooooo slooooow!

I ended up getting a Tom Tom and downloading the Gatso database. I wanted to upgrade my RA2 to the navigator but was put off by reviews which mentioned software bugs and unreliability.

I am more than happy with the Tom Tom.

I wouldn't worry about the laser detection bit - the government apparently plan to make that illegal and it isn't much use anyway. When it detects a laser it's because effectively the laser is already getting your speed and you are stuffed. You can't really react in time. It's only use is if they have problems locking on to you - which with the modern lasers doesn't happen much.

I have been told that when the govenment does bring in the law banning the laser detectors Road Angel will deactivate that feature when you next download the latest camera sites. They were aware the government was going to do this so built the ability to deactivate it into the software..... so I am told.