Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shall I buy a Forester off a dodgy bloke?

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2005, 04:59 PM
Day VG
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shall I buy a Forester off a dodgy bloke?

I've seen a pretty cheap Forester that is exactly what I'm after and have had a look. It's in good nick and drives well. The seller has told me that he has only had it a few weeks and has to sell for financial reasons (something about a house sale falling through) and hasn't sent off the V5 yet. The V5 is all in one piece and has a signature from the previous owner in the sell to trader bit which set off some alarm bells in my head.

I did an HPi check which showed it as being a write off category D (repairable), but the seller claimed that a mistake had been made and he would get in touch with the insurance co. to get it removed from the write off register.

It has since been removed and is now showing as clear, but I managed to get hold of the previous owner who explained that the car had been vandalised (body work and windows smashed with a crow bar) and the insurance co had in fact written it off and sold the car to a salvage yard.

So, as far as I can assume, the bloke has bought and repaired the car and told me a complete pack of lies to cover the facts. Before I spoke to the previous owner I had made plans to go an buy it tomorrow.

Do I:
  1. Walk away and be patient for another car to turn up, hauling my **** round on my mountain bike and hire cars in the meantime. This way I can buy a car later that I am more confident about?
  2. Go there and tell him that I have spoken to the previous owner, that I know what happened and bargain him down another grand. Getting a cheap car that has only had bodywork damage previously?
  3. Something else that I haven't thought of?
Any thoughts, suggestions or help will be much appreciated: I don't want to part with my hard earned for a complete lemon.

Cheers

Dave
Old 18 November 2005, 05:06 PM
mrjud
Scooby Regular

Location: somewhere having fun after mapped by jollygreenmonster

if the previous owner has singed the sold to trader bit i would say that the bloke you are buying it from is a trader and can not sell it through his buisness because of the cat d write off. its very hard to get finance on one.

if its cheap then all damaged repaired cars are get some one to look at if if he says get it then do so that would be my advise
cheers
graham
Originally Posted by Day VG
I've seen a pretty cheap Forester that is exactly what I'm after and have had a look. It's in good nick and drives well. The seller has told me that he has only had it a few weeks and has to sell for financial reasons (something about a house sale falling through) and hasn't sent off the V5 yet. The V5 is all in one piece and has a signature from the previous owner in the sell to trader bit which set off some alarm bells in my head.

I did an HPi check which showed it as being a write off category D (repairable), but the seller claimed that a mistake had been made and he would get in touch with the insurance co. to get it removed from the write off register.

It has since been removed and is now showing as clear, but I managed to get hold of the previous owner who explained that the car had been vandalised (body work and windows smashed with a crow bar) and the insurance co had in fact written it off and sold the car to a salvage yard.

So, as far as I can assume, the bloke has bought and repaired the car and told me a complete pack of lies to cover the facts. Before I spoke to the previous owner I had made plans to go an buy it tomorrow.

Do I:
  1. Walk away and be patient for another car to turn up, hauling my **** round on my mountain bike and hire cars in the meantime. This way I can buy a car later that I am more confident about?
  2. Go there and tell him that I have spoken to the previous owner, that I know what happened and bargain him down another grand. Getting a cheap car that has only had bodywork damage previously?
  3. Something else that I haven't thought of?
Any thoughts, suggestions or help will be much appreciated: I don't want to part with my hard earned for a complete lemon.

Cheers

Dave
Old 18 November 2005, 05:08 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

1 of course, why do you even ask
Old 18 November 2005, 05:11 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run away: if he's lied about that, what else has he lied about?

M
Old 18 November 2005, 05:11 PM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a no-brainer to me mate. Probably the second most expensive purchase you will ever make, do you want to give all those pounds to a bloke who is lying to you??

I wouldnt!!

Si
Old 18 November 2005, 05:15 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Walk away: i would rather spend a extra £1k and get something that you wont later regret on buying, if it did turn out to be dodgy.
Old 18 November 2005, 05:22 PM
wrxjimmy
Scooby Regular

Don't buy it. It's not worth the risk. Be patient and something better will turn up.

Trending Topics

Old 18 November 2005, 05:51 PM
Day VG
Scooby Newbie

Cheers all,

I know that's what I should do (despite my excitement of getting a new car). You have made me come to my senses.

Ta

Dave
Old 18 November 2005, 06:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If its fit then buy it. You know that it hasnt been dmamged in the accepted sense and it isnt recorded with HPI. Pay for a retail HPI check and theyll guarabtee the vehicles status so you wont lose out if it reappears on the Condition Alert register.

It all comes down to price doesnt it? Im assuming that the price makes it attractive? If the chancer is looking for a normal private sale sort of price then Id leave it, bt if its cheap then it may very well be a good buy.

Simon
Old 18 November 2005, 06:14 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

hmmn now
i say is it cheap? if its hpi clear and is fine mechanicly and bodywise why not lol, atleast you know its history and hopefully are getting it at a knock down price
Old 18 November 2005, 07:51 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

might sound like a great deal, i.e cheap, but it's obviously cheap for a reason.

Personally, I'd walk - there are plenty of other motors out there.

Dan
Old 18 November 2005, 08:09 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

if it was me I would ask gc8 if he can help
Old 18 November 2005, 08:15 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

is it selling for below trade money?
Old 18 November 2005, 08:16 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Day VG

How can the cat D status be 'removed' when the previous owner confimed the ins co did infact write it off?
Old 18 November 2005, 08:45 PM
serega
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrynO
How can the cat D status be 'removed' when the previous owner confimed the ins co did infact write it off?
some dodgy sh*t, if you ask me.
Everything can be done for a little money and right connections.
You have to ask yourself, what else he could've removed ?
Old 18 November 2005, 09:23 PM
Nich B
Scooby Regular

Decisions decisions

Have you taken some one else with you to look at motor, who knows what to look for?

what model Forester is it?

Your money, if its cheap enough go for it.
Old 18 November 2005, 09:33 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

smells 'wrong'

walk away. There's plenty about if you are willing to travel and/or wait.

Steve
Old 19 November 2005, 01:01 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Cat D is just an 'uneconomical repair' in the ins company's eyes... Should be no problem. You know what the damage from the previous owner was - if it's fixed it should be fine...

It's only a car for goodness sake... If it's been fixed, get a check done & if you're getting a good discount bite his hand off

Mick
Old 19 November 2005, 01:08 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

as GC8 has said, if you pay for an HPI report and it's clean then you're guaranteed that it won't magically become a Cat D when you come to sell it or you will be reimbursed the difference. Get an AA report and if it's good then you've got a bargain