Sponsored by:

Going for the oil burners ---- Good bye STI

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2005, 05:48 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Going for the oil burners ---- Good bye STI

Selling the STI 54 12.3K miles and going to buy a diesel - thinking of a Volvo S60 or BM 330 etc.
I guess several people have made a change for various reasons - I simply don't get the chance/time to really use the STI and even then the roads are clogged with snails.
Looking for a fast but reasonably economical motor that doesn't cost the earth to take on a decent run for those long weekends.
Looked at the 120D bm's but too small really- saw some cheap high mile S60's on ebay for about 6K.
So guy's if it has to be a diesel (for same money as 54 STI or less) what should it be?

Anyone interested in making a sensible offer for the STI? 01379652059
cheers.
Old 16 November 2005, 07:28 PM
suffolkdar
Scooby Regular

Default My Advice?

Keep the sti.....(even if just for the odd weekend or track day!) and buy a cheap runabout for 200 quid! lol
Buy a pug 205 turbo diesel, a simple mod to the waste gate spring and they go like f**K lol, great fun....

If you sell the sti, you WILL miss it!

If i got rid of mine i think the mrs would divorce me!
Old 16 November 2005, 07:31 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

330d all the way.................
Old 16 November 2005, 07:37 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

I got an Audi A6 2.5 Tdi SE - I needed a big car, and really like this. It's got 155 bhp - very torquey, very luxurious, nice handling, a joy to drive.....and best of all is the consumption - 35-40mpg on short runs, 40-50mpg on long motorway runs.
Sometimes miss the fun of a proper quick car - but as we all know, it's all down to the driver - most cars can be driven quickly. With an oil burner you just don't fancy thraping it as much, which helps with the wallet, and the license.
I won't say I never looked back, but it's the practical thing to do for me, and I love the car.
Old 16 November 2005, 10:31 PM
Listy
Scooby Regular

I've had an S60 (Was Petrol though) and currently have a 330d. S60 is a great Car no doubt but the Beemer knocks it into a cocked hat!

If you got the budget have a look for the one "Matt-oz" is selling in the for sale section. It's a Stunner.

I chopped the Sti for the BMW 2 months ago mate. I don't miss the Sti at all. Honest!

Listy
Old 17 November 2005, 07:59 AM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

I keep changing back and forth. Had diesel golf v4 that was good. Then S3. Then A4 2.5 TDI Quattro mapped to 220 bhp, which was brilliant. Now have a scoob. To be honest the diesels where good and they feel fast because of the torque and you cant get away from the mpg but no matter how fast a diesel is it never felt exciting and still no where near as much fun as my scoob. But priorities change. The Audi diesels are worth looking at though as the can be re mapped easily.

Last edited by sgcooby; 17 November 2005 at 08:23 AM.
Old 17 November 2005, 08:20 AM
MY00PPP
Scooby Regular

Ditched the MY00 a couple of weeks ago now. Passat TDI 130. Ok its in a different league to the scoob, but as someone said up above...change of priorities and needs must and all. Not missing the scoob although no offical 'wave' between passat drivers it would seem

Trending Topics

Old 17 November 2005, 08:22 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MY00PPP
although no offical 'wave' between passat drivers it would seem
Good job. You'd get repetitive strain injury.
Old 17 November 2005, 07:55 PM
speedy1
Scooby Regular

mate of mine has a 320d, its a flying machine
Old 17 November 2005, 08:07 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Have had a S60 D5 for the last week and a bit as a loan car....very disappointing. Crap steering feel, **** poor turning circle, awful vision, sluggish, average 41 mpg and Dolby Pro Logic though - great Oh suspension poor, feel car sick driving it, poor rear vision due to headrests in rear, poor side rear vision due to swollen wings, loads of space - really great for just me driving to work, quiet and refined, except at certain speeds then you know you're in a diesel, hate it hate it hate it. Want me Scoob back
Old 17 November 2005, 08:11 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

^^ I've had 2 S60's the turning circle is absolutly dreadful, there were car parks I just could not get round, embarassing! 'part from that, I liked them, both petrol though..

Just bought the wife a Saab 9-3 2.2 diesel, really pleased with that although it's certainly not as refined as the beemers IMO..

We also tried the 9-5 3.0 v6 diesel, now that was a nice car, super smooth and bags of torque..
Old 17 November 2005, 11:03 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

I have been watching a few S60's and others on ebay - most have out of this world miles i.e 53 reg with 125K miles - still make about 8 grand !!
The STI's don't often make the reserves - values low even with no miles.
checked out glasses guide for a volvoS60 D5 (via vauxhall site - free) - the guide gave values for 90,000 miles of £7250 trade in whilst whatcars valuation was about £3,500 what a difference!!

The scoob is valued at just under £16k for Glass guide trade in, so must be worth £17k to someone on here???????????
Old 18 November 2005, 12:16 AM
Tim Caddick
Scooby Regular

Recently changed my Classic Turbo as instead of being a fanny magnet, it was a **** magnet, attracting idiots to drive into it, or at least that what it seemed like. I bought a 1999 Audi A6 1.9 Tdi. Big as a house, but surprisingly nimble, due to the relative lack of weight compared to the heavier V6 diesel. I manage 40 mpg around town (which is double what I managed with the Scoob) and 50 mpg on the motorway. It's very pleasant to drive once warm, but the engine is no where near as refined as the wife's VW Bora Tdi 130 which is an animal in a straight line. In an ideal world, I would have gone for the 2.5 V6 Tdi which has the reputation for being a peach of a motor, but I couldn't find one & I have since heard on one of the Audi forums that owners have reported fuel economy being as low as 25 mpg around town despite the cars being in tip-top condition, which would have defeated the point of changing cars.

Yes, I do miss the Scooby for lots of reasons, like its looks, its stunning performance, its safe handling in all conditions, the feeling of being in a "club". I don't miss the servicing bills, fuel bills, thin paint. I hope to come back to Subaru in the distant future, but I do wish they'd pull their finger out & come out with a performance diesel option.