Sponsored by:

Todays STi test drives....

Search this Thread

Old 11 November 2005, 05:11 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Todays STi test drives....

Previously test driven a standard 55 plate WRX which TBH although nice I wasn't blown away with. Tested the same car with PPP & was much more impressed with it, enough to place my order. Got buggered about by my dealer I decided to go elsewhere & today I had a test drive of a 54 plate STi. This is now the car I want same power as the PPP'd WRX but felt much more alive & responsive. Then tested another 54 plate STi but with PPP, Again fantastic but didn't feel as the gain was anywhere near the gain on going from a standard WRX to WRX PPP.

The standard STi had 12500 miles whereas the PPP's car had only 4500 could that be why the standard STi felt nearly as quick? Nicely run in.

Made up my mind I think today that yes it has to be an STi but not that bothered whether it's PPP equiped or not. That may come later on of course...
Old 11 November 2005, 05:14 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

Thats interesting to read, most people feel that the STI is pretty poor and laggy/unresposive compared to the WRX PPP....as you say though that may be due to the engine being run in a lot more.

I think youd soon be eyeing up the PPP though as in a straight line at least there isnt a lot in it between a standard WRX and a standard STI....

given the weight difference of the 2.
Old 11 November 2005, 05:32 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i found my sti a bit peaky before the ppp , the big difference for me was the torque !
Old 11 November 2005, 07:07 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

You could be right when you say peaky now you mention it...Loved it though.

Of course won't say no to a PPP equiped car should one come along at the right price, but won't turn down the right one either if it doesn't have PPP. Liked the sound of the Prodrive exhaust too.

Didn't mention above but the WRX I tested did only have 2500 miles on it so not really run in, so may be the reason I found the standard STi so much of an improvement power wise.
Old 12 November 2005, 09:08 AM
bluepolarbear
Scooby Regular

Out of the box there is no contest between an STI and WRX PPP. The STI wins in every aspect apart from a drag strip race and possible looks (more discreet, more practical - depending on preference).

You always need more horses so clearly an STI PPP is better than an STI but that is not really the question other wise you will get a TVR for a few K more. It is more a question of value for money - do you actually need the PPP ie is the STI fatelly flawed through the lack of PPP.

The answer is no, it does have a narrow power band (which is why it is 6 speed) but it goes, on the public road an STI PPP will not shake a STI. The narrow power band has two main consquences a) you have to work the gearbox more, off-boost it is a lame duck b) in normal conditions it is slower off the line than a wrx. Unless you are prepared to sit at traffic lights with 4000rpm looking a noob most cars will get a length on you before the boost comes in and you go past. Even when not trying it looks like you are racing. It can be annoying trying to pull out into fast traffic with your grandma in the car.

The question is does it suit your driving style, you happy to drive in that manner - you do get used it but some people will always prefer a "lazy" engine where they don't need to keep changing gears, but they should be driving diesels
Old 14 November 2005, 12:46 PM
GazTheHat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluepolarbear
Out of the box there is no contest between an STI and WRX PPP. The STI wins in every aspect apart from a drag strip race and possible looks (more discreet, more practical - depending on preference).

You always need more horses so clearly an STI PPP is better than an STI but that is not really the question other wise you will get a TVR for a few K more. It is more a question of value for money - do you actually need the PPP ie is the STI fatelly flawed through the lack of PPP.

The answer is no, it does have a narrow power band (which is why it is 6 speed) but it goes, on the public road an STI PPP will not shake a STI. The narrow power band has two main consquences a) you have to work the gearbox more, off-boost it is a lame duck b) in normal conditions it is slower off the line than a wrx. Unless you are prepared to sit at traffic lights with 4000rpm looking a noob most cars will get a length on you before the boost comes in and you go past. Even when not trying it looks like you are racing. It can be annoying trying to pull out into fast traffic with your grandma in the car.

The question is does it suit your driving style, you happy to drive in that manner - you do get used it but some people will always prefer a "lazy" engine where they don't need to keep changing gears, but they should be driving diesels
Excellent post. Very accurate. Just a new STi owner myself and couldn't agree more. As soon as you press the loud pedal, your hands go into overdrive. With the left hand always skitting off to change gears but rushing back to combat the tramlining.

Most times i am pottling along. And for that it's great, in 6th around 45, cruising along, knowing you have everything the bodywork says it can do. But then on those roads you find are open and flowing, it makes you keep busy with the driving and you feel more involved and rally-like. A nice Jekyll and Hide car.