Sponsored by:

M3 vs Scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 08 November 2005, 11:24 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3 vs Scooby?

Anyone got any comments on how the late 1990s M3 (E36 model) would stack up against an STi v5?

The M3 is considerably more powerful and is 2WD so would it be significantly faster than the Scooby? What about cornering ability?

Really, I'm not looking for off-the-cuff comments, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of driving an M3 and a Scooby!

Thanks

David
(who is considering what car should replace his ageing MY95 WRX)
Old 08 November 2005, 11:28 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

The search facility considerably improves the speed of a scooby vs. M£ thread.

"Done to Death" doen't even BEGIN to describe this subject.

The answer is, in most situations, the M3 hands the STI its fundament on a plate.

But we like - and can afford - scoobs, right?
Old 08 November 2005, 11:29 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Harden
Anyone got any comments on how the late 1990s M3 (E36 model) would stack up against an STi v5?

The M3 is considerably more powerful and is 2WD so would it be significantly faster than the Scooby? What about cornering ability?

Really, I'm not looking for off-the-cuff comments, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of driving an M3 and a Scooby!

Thanks

David
well to be honest the scoob is quicker in nearly all aspects, def in the corners and def off the line! m3 is good for 155mph and handles good for rwd, id have the scoob any day, the e46 m3 is a diff story
pre 1996 is the non evo m3 without vanos unit giving out aout 275bhp, the evo m3 96+ is quoted at 321bhp but ive heard of owners who have had both say theres feckall difference
Old 08 November 2005, 11:30 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
The search facility considerably improves the speed of a scooby vs. M£ thread.

"Done to Death" doen't even BEGIN to describe this subject.

The answer is, in most situations, the M3 hands the STI its fundament on a plate.

But we like - and can afford - scoobs, right?
sure anyone who can afford a v5 sti can afford a 96 evo m3 man, and ur wrong too
Old 08 November 2005, 11:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a well remapped STI v5 with decat would be a close match for an E46 M3, and a standard one would match an E36 Evo. Both these where not traction limited of course.
Old 08 November 2005, 11:31 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

in damp and wet, the scoob has it for def!

even in dry weather off the launch and in bends the sti has it, the m3 pulls very good from 3,4,5th gears
Old 08 November 2005, 11:32 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
I think a well remapped STI v5 with decat would be a close match for an E46 M3, and a standard one would match an E36 Evo. Both these where not traction limited of course.
Yup.. these threads suck man by the way
Old 08 November 2005, 11:37 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Remap, decat, special pleading. Tune its **** off for a result. A special driver in a 1.6 focus would whip a scooby driven by an average driver in their beloved *twisties*.

But we love scoobs, right?
Old 08 November 2005, 11:39 PM
Kevadair
Scooby Regular

Thanks

David
Well David from someone who within the last week has got rid of a MY2001 WRX PPP and who took a 2001 M3 for a test drive I found it to be bloody good car.

It didn't have that raw feeling of the scooby and that feeling of sticking to the road wasn't quite the same but the power delivery is amazing along with ride comfort and usual BMW stuff.

I didn't go for the car and did a swap for a volvo 2.4 Turbo Diesel D5. As I have a wedding next year and some long journeys for work it was the sensible choice.

I intend stashing some pennys (quite a few) and go for a M3 or 5 in about a year. It wont be new but that doesnt matter too much when it comes to a beamer. It will be my third bmw one so I know what to expect.

Ure not alone about thinking the BMW route if its time for a change (the 330 seems to be a favourite for ex scooby owners)
Old 08 November 2005, 11:48 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Thanks all. Reponses much appreciated. I'll go and do some more searching on Scoobynet. No need to cover the same old topic!!
Old 08 November 2005, 11:57 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

It's sad but I couldn't buy a Scooby anymore, not because of insurance or carjackings, it's just the image has become so bad.

An M3 for me but at least the current/outgoing shape.
Old 09 November 2005, 12:02 AM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
It's sad but I couldn't buy a Scooby anymore, not because of insurance or carjackings, it's just the image has become so bad.

I assume you consider the classic shape Scooby has become the "new XR3i"? A chav's car. And you want something with class?

David
Old 09 November 2005, 12:35 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Im selling my 316bhp scooby for an M3 Evo that i have just bought..

Scooby is way quicker...even when hitting hight speeds... tired and tested

The M3 is a completly different type of ride, a much smoother drive. The M3 is a car, the subaru is a very light car, the M3 feels like its padded all over... I did not like it at first, though has now grown on me..

You get use to the rear end sliding out, and at times it can be fun and at other times it just slows you down!..

Plans for my M3 future:

Get a super charger fitted...

--Sam
PS: do a search...plenty on M3's
Old 09 November 2005, 06:58 AM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Insurance and car jackings !!

Trust me mate, an M3 is far more desirable than the Scoob and a jackers favorite
as for insurance it's probally not far off being the same.

Everyone bangs on about Scoobs being jacked, go onto any car forum and
it's discussed.

Rob
Old 09 November 2005, 08:17 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

PMSL ..............scooby V M3 ............AGAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Old 09 November 2005, 10:04 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Remap, decat, special pleading. Tune its **** off for a result. A special driver in a 1.6 focus would whip a scooby driven by an average driver in their beloved *twisties*.

But we love scoobs, right?
You're off your head Bubba!!!

A 1.4 Focus would be sufficient!!
Old 09 November 2005, 10:08 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

You can't search on 2 alphanumeric words on here.

Don't know why people find these threads boring, don't contribute if you are bored. Poster put a serious question up, and some of us put serious replies up from testing these or similar cars head to head.

Remap, decat, special pleading. Tune its **** off for a result.
No special pleading just a few simple mods, over 300 BHP in a classic is enough to sit with an E46 M3. People like to suggest that M3s goes into warp drive over 100mph compared with similar powered but lighter Scoobies. They don't!
Old 09 November 2005, 10:32 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
You can't search on 2 alphanumeric words on here.

Don't know why people find these threads boring, don't contribute if you are bored. Poster put a serious question up, and some of us put serious replies up from testing these or similar cars head to head.

No special pleading just a few simple mods, over 300 BHP in a classic is enough to sit with an E46 M3. People like to suggest that M3s goes into warp drive over 100mph compared with similar powered but lighter Scoobies. They don't!
I would agree with this as my lightly modded 5 Type R will quite happily keep (if not pull) from a E46 M3! It has EL headers, full catless exhaust system, bespoke k&n induction, and uprated fuel pump, so I would guess it is sitting around the 300bhp mark (although feels like more )
Old 09 November 2005, 08:18 PM
David_Harden
Scooby Regular

I guess you've all left the thread now......but you lot crack me up. Mention M3 and you've got arguments left right and centre!

Major thanks to SamUK for the direct comparison information.

BTW, I joined the M3 forum yesterday and asked them the same question. Guess what, they all think the M3 is the better car.....

W'd'ya expect. However, they did have the common decency to admit the Scooby would be quicker off the line and in the wet. Some even admitted the Scooby would corner faster!!! Blimey, how polite. You wouldn't get an admission like that on Scoobynet.

For the record, I think an Evo will see off any Scooby you care to mention. Before I got my current Scooby, I was gonna get an Evo 2. When I mentioned on the Lancer register that I had decided to buy a Scooby, they said I had "turned to the dark side". ROFL!

David
Old 09 November 2005, 10:12 PM
ninjacost
Scooby Regular

I guess you've all left the thread now......but you lot crack me up. Mention M3 and you've got arguments left right and centre!

Major thanks to SamUK for the direct comparison information.

BTW, I joined the M3 forum yesterday and asked them the same question. Guess what, they all think the M3 is the better car.....

W'd'ya expect. However, they did have the common decency to admit the Scooby would be quicker off the line and in the wet. Some even admitted the Scooby would corner faster!!! Blimey, how polite. You wouldn't get an admission like that on Scoobynet.

For the record, I think an Evo will see off any Scooby you care to mention. Before I got my current Scooby, I was gonna get an Evo 2. When I mentioned on the Lancer register that I had decided to buy a Scooby, they said I had "turned to the dark side". ROFL!

David
spec c ra ?
Old 10 November 2005, 09:43 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

the 330 seems to be a favourite for ex scooby owners
You missed the word "diesel"

I confidently expect MattOz to appear on this thread now. He appears to search scoobynet hourly for the words "bmw" and "330d"
Old 10 November 2005, 11:12 AM
Re-Volt
Scooby Regular

M3 is a nice car but different as well.. i had a chance to launch with 2003 M3 in my sti7 i smoked him 3 times. a Porsche Cayenne turbo smoked it as well.
Old 10 November 2005, 11:51 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

I will freely admit that the M3 is a much better car, in terms of build quality, ride comfort, refinedness (?), brakes etc, but if you are comparing for out and out drag speed, then as John said, a ~300BHP classic will easily keep with an E46 M3 to silly speeds!
Old 10 November 2005, 12:10 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Who gives a flying **** about the image of a car??

Image has got to be the lowest factor when buying a car, even under fuel consumption

***** to all this classic scoobies are chav malarky, they are still quality cars IMHO, just don't fit lexus lights

Chris
Old 10 November 2005, 12:18 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Forgot to add, M3's are quality cars as well, I'm not a big fan of the earlier cars but the E46's are superb. I'd personally have one over a scooby any day of the week

The original post wasn't talking about E46's though, I personally would prefer the scoob over an early model M3.
Old 10 November 2005, 12:19 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

I'm sure that just because you have 4 wheel drive the car does not corner faster? One of the great wrong quotes and beliefs of the car world?
Old 10 November 2005, 12:41 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Leigh
I'm sure that just because you have 4 wheel drive the car does not corner faster? One of the great wrong quotes and beliefs of the car world?
I would say that 4wd lets you outgrip any car, but outhandle is a different concept altogether!
Old 10 November 2005, 12:44 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Leigh
AWD only helps when accellerating, hence being quick out of bends. This has the effect of letting you get round a corner quicker, and of course on a track, that's where the speed is to be gained, leading on to the straights.
Grip on a corner on constant throttle isn't greatly affected by 4wd.
Otherwise Diahatsu Fourtracks would be giving M3s a run for the money on the twisties!
Old 10 November 2005, 12:52 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

mmmmmmmmmmmm done to death different cars, different worlds
Old 10 November 2005, 01:48 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
I would say that 4wd lets you outgrip any car, but outhandle is a different concept altogether!
You're getting confused between grip and traction mate. As the post immediately after yours indicates, the principle advantage of 4wd is the ability to put the cars power down without wheelspin.

NS04

Quick Reply: M3 vs Scooby?