Sponsored by:

First Trackday in scooby,

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2005, 10:00 PM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Trackday in scooby,

Did my first trackday in my MY05 sti today and i was really impressed.

I usually drive a gt3 on track as the scoob is my road car, but it needed new pads so it was a great excuse to see what the scooby could do.

Ive got the prodrive kit and prodrive springs so my worries about body roll were unfounded. Its not as flat as the gt3 of course, but **** DOES IT GRIP!!

its insane through corners,..you can really take the ****, burying the throttle almost before you hit the apex.

Also had a dabble with the Centre Differential. on mine it only seems to work if the car is at stand still.then you can change the cdiff position. didnt really notice much when i did it on the move. when it did set it to rear bias, the car still understeered a touch, but it was much more controllable on the throttle, and powerslides were really easy to induce.and also easy to gather up.
Also the turn in seemed far sharper, but that might have been becasue i think i got the tre pressures right eventually.

Comparing it to other cars..difficult because there were so many novices at bedford today...and they werent quick at all. The scoob seemed to swallow them up easily. Two of my mates came ..one in a 996 turbo and the other in a 997 c2s. Ive done the circuit loads more times than them, so I know the track really well , but they are both good drivers. The scoob was easily as quick as the 997 and just a shade slower than the turbo, whose straight line speed was awesome, but i managed to catch him up in the corner sections...

Overall my impression is that the sti is a bloody hooligan and i love it.!
Old 05 November 2005, 11:18 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Looks like your passenger is relieving himself.

Get it to the ring
Old 05 November 2005, 11:54 PM
WRXewl
Scooby Regular

That front left tyre is almost off the gound. Sounds like you had a GOOD time.

E
Old 06 November 2005, 10:20 AM
alexf2003
Scooby Regular

wow

that looks soooo mean!

Which layout did bedford run?

Alex
Old 06 November 2005, 10:33 AM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alexf2003
wow

that looks soooo mean!

Which layout did bedford run?

Alex
it was the full gt circuit.

as for the ring....thatll be next year and definately in the scoob, not the gt3.
(dont want to die)

any tips on tyre pressures??

i let abit out as they got hot to keep them at recommended pressures.
Old 06 November 2005, 11:01 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

GT3 is far more suited to the ring than your scoob.

36PSI when hot I would say......
Old 06 November 2005, 11:26 AM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
GT3 is far more suited to the ring than your scoob.

36PSI when hot I would say......
im sure you are right,

but Greame Clark, who runs the RMA track club, suggested that the first time you go, you should take a 4wd or fwd car to learn the circuit.

is that 36 psi all round??
Old 06 November 2005, 11:42 AM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

I'd definately recommend 4wd the first time you go to the 'ring! Going round when its a bit greasy and watching the beemers spinning off everywhere and overtaking CTRs and Golfs etc. which are understeering at every corner is fun . Don't get over donfident though, thats when it goes wrong (speaking from experience, after a few hairy moments ).

Adam
Old 06 November 2005, 11:48 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peterpeter
im sure you are right,

but Greame Clark, who runs the RMA track club, suggested that the first time you go, you should take a 4wd or fwd car to learn the circuit.

is that 36 psi all round??
GT4 on the PS2 is all you need to learn your way round the Ring...

Well actually it's not 100% authentic but it does give you a very good prior knowledge of what to expect, which if you went to the Ring for the 1st time without playing the game or watching video's, etc then it would take a long time to know what to expect.

There will be loads of us Scooby drivers at the ring next year so just keep your eyes peeled in the International Events section.

Cheers

Terry
Old 06 November 2005, 07:32 PM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

ive played the ring on pgr2 loads of times...im sure ill play it on gt4 before i go, but i will take the scoob.
Might go with the RMA because they are the only track club (in the world i think) who get the Ring Exclusively for 70 or so cars for a day.

BTW i forgot to add that those bridgestone re070s are awesome tyres, I was really impressed by their grip and feedback. Plus after a whole day of hooning, they didnt look too worse for wear either.

Unfortunately it didnt rain, so Ive still not tested out their wet-grip at the limit yet.

Anyone sourced these from a non subaru source yet?? wondering about prices.

Also has anyone else had any track experience with the DCCD gizmo???
Old 06 November 2005, 08:39 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

It doesnt really matter what car you take to the ring the first time. You will be too caught up trying to remember which way the track goes and which line to take.

The scoob will be ok but if you do too many laps and work the car hard you WILL knacker the disks and pads. I would suggest taking spare pads at the very least.

The GT3 however will cope admirably as its the cars natural habitat.

I run dunlop SP sport RACE tyres on the scoob and they work well on the ring. 36PSI all round is the order of the day, when HOT.

My personal opinion is that the DCCD should be left well alone, but hey what do I know anyway

Gary
Old 06 November 2005, 09:14 PM
peterpeter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
It doesnt really matter what car you take to the ring the first time. You will be too caught up trying to remember which way the track goes and which line to take.

The scoob will be ok but if you do too many laps and work the car hard you WILL knacker the disks and pads. I would suggest taking spare pads at the very least.

The GT3 however will cope admirably as its the cars natural habitat.

I run dunlop SP sport RACE tyres on the scoob and they work well on the ring. 36PSI all round is the order of the day, when HOT.

My personal opinion is that the DCCD should be left well alone, but hey what do I know anyway

Gary
those dunlops are now out of production...shame..(thogh you can still pick them up here and there)
What pads would you recommend??
Are the standard discs really poor??