Sponsored by:

GPS Camera Detector Accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2005, 07:34 PM
scoobydog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS Camera Detector Accuracy

Just bought an Origin B2 - Fantastic unit and well worth the money.

However just a couple of issues arose today which made me doubt it's accuracy or my ability to use it properly (downloaded the latest update yesterday)

On the A14 it missed out two 40mph temporary but well publicised cameras and on the A428 in a dual carriageway zone (70mph no 60mph signs whatsoever) it said "gatso 60" even though I couldn't see one (could have been behind a bridge though)

I also have Tom Tom with the free and purchased databases and RAC Speedsafe (until the subscription soon expires) and they didn't warn of anything.

Is it me not knowing how to use it/read the warnings properly or has anyone else had similar problems?

I know none of the GPS units will ever be 100% correct but three anomalies in one day seems a bit odd.

Any advice much appreciated!
Thanks
Old 06 November 2005, 12:58 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Scoobydog,

Re temporary camera's it depends on how long they have been there and whether Origin are aware of them or not so that they can update their database.

Where the message "Gatso 60" is concerned the B2 uses reference points from various satellites (sic?) to work out where you are in relation to a camera threat. That means that it will warn you of a threat if you are in a grid position, NOT necessarily one on a road that is a threat to you. This is where you have to use both common sense and your eyes.

Tools like the B2 are very good at what they do, however driver awareness is the key to staying out of trouble.

Hope this helps.

WB