Buying my first scooby !

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2005, 11:09 AM
burpworm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying my first scooby !

Hi

Just was after any info on what to look for when i go and look at my first scooby today, am looking at a 99 S reg 2000 turbo uk car

Any help would be great

Thanx

Burp
Old 05 November 2005, 11:21 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I would suggest you look for the same things you would on any car of that age.

Full service history
Any mods making it non std (could be used to deduct money from price if your so inclined)
Condition of bodywork
Usual checks to make sure its not a wrongen
IMHO low mileage is preferential (as with any car)

Other than that the car shouldnt really have any issues, but listen for unusual sounds, knocks and bangs etc etc.

Gary
Old 05 November 2005, 11:25 AM
burpworm
Scooby Regular

Thanx for that

Would you be concerned about 76000 on a S reg and do they have any engine probs

Burp
Old 05 November 2005, 11:32 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

In honesty burpworm as long as it drives ok and doesnt sound, look or feel wrong then you should be ok. People think that a Subaru is a rally car and that therefore you have to look for different stuff. Thats bull its just a car like any other. I would however walk away or seek guidance if you find things wrong and the seller tells you ''its a cheap fix mate''. Cheap fixes on scoobs are rare for sure.

Have a good look round it and prefferably another couple so you have something to benchmark it against. There are also loads of well looked after cars for sale on this site.

Gary
Old 05 November 2005, 11:34 AM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Make sure you give the gearbox a good work-out, listening and feeling for any notchiness or graunchy sounds when you put it into gear. Specifically try some quick gear changes at >4k rpm's going from 3-4-5 and 5-4-3.

If it sounds graunchy or feel like its grinding going into gear, walk away.
Old 05 November 2005, 11:39 AM
burpworm
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys thats a real help, i know me cars but im all new to Scooby's and dont know much about them got stiched with an MR2 Turbo once dont want the same thing to happen lol

Ben
Old 05 November 2005, 12:15 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by burpworm
Thanks guys thats a real help, i know me cars but im all new to Scooby's and dont know much about them got stiched with an MR2 Turbo once dont want the same thing to happen lol

Ben
Welcome to SN!

The above advice is all well and good, but...

I keep saying this to newbies: if you're gonna buy a performance car- any performance car- you should have it professionally inspected. It'll cost you a couple of hundred quid max and could save you thousands. It's also good negotiating material when it comes to price You have to remember that these cars will have been driven hard, no problem if they've been looked after, it's what they were designed for...but if they've been neglected.....

I doubt you'll get any discounts for modified cars, as the owner will have most likely invested quite a bit of money into them and, although you can't expect money on such mods back, you'd at least want it to sell for around the price of a good std car. Personally, if you're new to the Scooby game it may be wise to buy as closer to std as possible and then modify to your own tastes.

A good hint is to speak to the owner about how is has looked after the car, observe how they treat it on the test drive? Is it warmed up? Do they switch it off straight after a thrash? What oil and petrol do they use? All clues as to whether its been loved. If you don't like the owner chances are you won't like the car.

Best of luck.

NS04