Sponsored by:

how fuel when the light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2005, 07:01 PM
kechup
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy how fuel when the light comes on

M1 is pretty much shut between J11-J12 so its grid lock round here - just wondered how much fuel is in the tank when the light comes. Less than the last mark on the guage should i fill up before i leave ?
Old 03 November 2005, 07:02 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kechup
M1 is pretty much shut between J11-J12 so its grid lock round here - just wondered how much fuel is in the tank when the light comes. Less than the last mark on the guage should i fill up before i leave ?

No i deff think you should run the risk of running out on the M1
Old 03 November 2005, 07:03 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

you will be fine, its good for at least 50 miles
Old 03 November 2005, 07:06 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

when my light came on worked out about 15 miles left, judging by the ammount that went into the tank on the next (hurried) fill up

fill up mate
Old 03 November 2005, 07:06 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
you will be fine, its good for at least 50 miles
I think the light differs from car to car. I would be lucky to get 10-15 miles after my light comes on.

I just dont see the point in finding out though.
Old 03 November 2005, 07:41 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by cookstar
I think the light differs from car to car. I would be lucky to get 10-15 miles after my light comes on.

I just dont see the point in finding out though.
Agree totally. Handbook says 8 litres...
Old 03 November 2005, 07:50 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Drive very steadily too; how many engines fail when the fuel light is on?*

*Lots
Old 03 November 2005, 09:34 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

my local dealership told me once that it's best to go no lower than the 1/4 mark. My engine light ws coming on at the time. they thought that low levels of petrol sometimes caused this on the cars ?
Old 03 November 2005, 10:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

Originally Posted by GC8
Drive very steadily too; how many engines fail when the fuel light is on?*

*Lots
Here we go sweeping scare stories!!

Now are we supposed to believe that just because the low fuel light comes on the engine will blow up???!!!

You really are, without a doubt, a raving idiot!!!

Does this happen even if you have carried out the **** oil change (as we know saddos like you do??)

Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with your CockLink lights?? OR maybe your 'Change-Gear-Now-********!' light??

Words fail me!!

Pete
Old 03 November 2005, 11:05 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Here we go sweeping scare stories!!

Now are we supposed to believe that just because the low fuel light comes on the engine will blow up???!!!

You really are, without a doubt, a raving idiot!!!

Does this happen even if you have carried out the **** oil change (as we know saddos like you do??)

Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with your CockLink lights?? OR maybe your 'Change-Gear-Now-********!' light??

Words fail me!!

Pete
Pete; you are an ignorant gob****e fool. If you knew nearly as much as you think you do; then youd know very well why this is the case. I have met first year apprentices with a far greater knowledge than you will ever have.

And before you start your rather predictable keyboard hero routine I will add that you are more than welcome to get in your car now and drive to Sheffiled and take this up with me personally. Either do so, or keep quiet you trolling no-mark.
Old 04 November 2005, 12:35 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Below 1/4 you will get low fuel to the engine on hard cornering. Done it once and never again, it did not feel good to the engine or me.
I do run semi slicks though

dipster
Old 04 November 2005, 07:51 AM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Below 1/4 you will get low fuel to the engine on hard cornering. Done it once and never again, it did not feel good to the engine or me.
I do run semi slicks though

dipster
Don't need slicks for this either...
Old 04 November 2005, 12:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by GC8
Pete; you are an ignorant gob****e fool. If you knew nearly as much as you think you do; then youd know very well why this is the case. I have met first year apprentices with a far greater knowledge than you will ever have.

And before you start your rather predictable keyboard hero routine I will add that you are more than welcome to get in your car now and drive to Sheffiled and take this up with me personally. Either do so, or keep quiet you trolling no-mark.
That's no way to speak to your uncle, Simon!!

I personally use the 1/4 full mark on mine as the "low fuel" level. It's just good practice not to let your car run very low, at the very least you'll be dragging up alll the crap that collects at the bottom of the tank.

NS04
Old 04 November 2005, 12:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
you are more than welcome to get in your car now and drive to Sheffiled and take this up with me personally. Either do so, or keep quiet you trolling no-mark.
Look at my legs, they've all gone to jelly

Getting back on topic without childish threats ..................

How, in engineering terms, does running the car with 8 litres of fuel (the light up level) differ from that when running the car with 30 litres of fuel?? I will be most interested in the answer as it would defy the laws of physics ....................... go ahead, Einstien - enlighten me!!

Also interested how it would blow the engine up ............. I'll give you a little clue from where I am coming from here - listen to me, watch my lips, "The engine hasn't got a clue how much fuel is left in the fuel tank!!"

You really are a one-man freak show!!

Pete
Old 04 November 2005, 01:03 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Look at my legs, they've all gone to jelly

Getting back on topic without childish threats ..................

How, in engineering terms, does running the car with 8 litres of fuel (the light up level) differ from that when running the car with 30 litres of fuel?? I will be most interested in the answer as it would defy the laws of physics ....................... go ahead, Einstien - enlighten me!!

Also interested how it would blow the engine up ............. I'll give you a little clue from where I am coming from here - listen to me, watch my lips, "The engine hasn't got a clue how much fuel is left in the fuel tank!!"

You really are a one-man freak show!!

Pete
Its simple stuff really,As the tanks nearly empty the fuel is able to move around the tank,As the fuel pick up is on one side of the tank its possible for it to pick up air instead of fuel for a short time when cornering,The engine now has low fuel pressure and has to proccess this air resulting in lean runnng for a short time.
Old 04 November 2005, 01:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
Its simple stuff really,As the tanks nearly empty the fuel is able to move around the tank,As the fuel pick up is on one side of the tank its possible for it to pick up air instead of fuel for a short time when cornering,The engine now has low fuel pressure and has to proccess this air resulting in lean runnng for a short time.
And a car manufacture designed this feature into their car, did they

Good grief ............ the stupidity on this BBS amazes me sometimes!!

Pete
Old 04 November 2005, 01:21 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

So I take it you've never experienced fuel starvation when cornering with less than 1/4 of a tank pete?

I'd imagine you are, then, talking out of your behind?
Old 04 November 2005, 01:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
So I take it you've never experienced fuel starvation when cornering with less than 1/4 of a tank pete?

No I haven't!!

Why haven't I??

Because its an urban myth ............... just like the **** Oil Change bollox!!

Can you REALLY imagine a car manufacturer designing a car which, when the tank is 1/4 full, the engine will blow up??????????????????

Do yourself a favour, and have the day off!!

I am surrounded by half-wits!!

BTW I always have 1/4 tank or less in my car!!

Pete
Old 04 November 2005, 01:32 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Pete, I am not saying that the engine 'will' blow up. Myself, and others here, have experienced fuel starvation.

For me it resulted in the car loosing power for a split second. As I was at full throttle or thereabouts, just exiting a corner, this was felt quite violently (especially when it came back 'on').

I can't say that this resulted in an over lean mixture as I don't have my car wired with diagnostic logging equipment (no, I don't have a 'cocklink' pete).

What I can say is that it gave the engine/transmission a considerable shock loading, as I am sure you can imagine.

Maybe we are lying about this? Maybe it was something unrelated? I doubt it.

This is a known issue.

Let someone drive you car in a more spirited manner and you too can experience this for yourself.

If you live anywhere near Brighton then I can show you myself. I'm not threatening violence, or a 'good time', I'm afraid. It would just be good for you to admit you're wrong on this issue.
Old 04 November 2005, 01:37 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Calling Saxoboy!
Old 04 November 2005, 01:49 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

No I haven't!!

Why haven't I??

Because its an urban myth ............... just like the **** Oil Change bollox!!

Can you REALLY imagine a car manufacturer designing a car which, when the tank is 1/4 full, the engine will blow up??????????????????

Do yourself a favour, and have the day off!!

I am surrounded by half-wits!!

Pete
Pete,

Half of me hopes that you are sat behind your keyboard safe in the knowledge that mugs like me are responding to your wind-up. On this occasion however, I detect a slightly more serious tone in your words - particularly since Simon threatened to chin you.

On two occasions my car has been around the 1/4 tank mark when I've been driving enthusiastcally and hard prolonged cornering has resulted in a jolt upon change up from starvation. I did not guess that this happened, it is not a figment of my imagination and Subaru did not design the car with myriad suspension and power mods in minds - hence the "fault".

Simon's advice is perfectly sensible and legitimate.

Incidentally, quite why somebody needs to be advised as to whether they should fill their car up before joining the M1 baffles me completely.
Old 04 November 2005, 03:38 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I see, so what we are saying then is this:-

"If you drive like a complete and utter ******* when you have low fuel then you will feel a JERK" ??????????

Well, I have news for you ............ if you drive like that you are, in actual fact, a JERK!!!

Oh, and Simon going to chin me????? HA HA HA HA HA I would put my mortgage on him cacking his nappy just at the mere thought of the consequenses of that very stupid action

Pete
Old 04 November 2005, 03:41 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Astra hire car Ive just had, warning light comes on with quater of a tank left, complete waste of time.
Old 04 November 2005, 03:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
Astra hire car Ive just had, warning light comes on with quater of a tank left, complete waste of time.
Yes, BUT if you went around a corner at about 165MPH then the fuel would disappear up its own arsehole and the engine would blow up!!!

Pete
Old 04 November 2005, 03:57 PM
DarkStar66
Scooby Regular

Question

So either you only do about 50 miles a week or you visit a petrol station every day!!! Or that comment was B***S*** to wind people up.

Please explain.
Old 04 November 2005, 03:58 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

I see, so what we are saying then is this:-

"If you drive like a complete and utter ******* when you have low fuel then you will feel a JERK" ??????????

Well, I have news for you ............ if you drive like that you are, in actual fact, a JERK!!!

Oh, and Simon going to chin me????? HA HA HA HA HA I would put my mortgage on him cacking his nappy just at the mere thought of the consequenses of that very stupid action

Pete
So you acknowledge that the issue exists, which must mean that the advice to drive cautiously was indeed valid. This of course renders your initial post invalid. Also invalid is the notion that people who drive their motors quickly at track days are jerks. In short Pete, you are (an) invalid.

Old 04 November 2005, 04:07 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

LOL what a classic thread, its made my afternoon. Rarely do I find Pete amusing, but the Jerk comment is a classic.
Old 04 November 2005, 04:12 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Pete, you will never experience any of these problems because, by your own admission, you drive like an old granny! I am not saying that you are a bad driver, just that you never drive 'enthusiatically'. It is possible to drive fast and smooth at the same time.
I have experienced fuel starvation with 1/4 tank of fuel, and that was in a straight line, not around a corner. This never occurs when I have 1/4+.

But, as usual, I suppose you'll call me 'gay' just because I have a different view to that of your own.
Old 04 November 2005, 04:23 PM
kechup
Scooby Regular

some interesting comments but i do not mean to cause any friction

anyway this is what happened ....
fuel light came on ... but i got home but drove off boost all the way - i agree not much fuel in the tank could leave in the feed breathing vapour and that is not good. On the way to work this morning i put 3 litres in a can (just in case) and carried on driving off boost until i got to Tesco total of 21 miles with the light on.
Filled up and squeezed in 54 litres - so i as i roughly get 4-5 miles a litre i recon the light comes on at 10 litres left in tank. So careful driving should get you 50 miles but that really would be the limit.
As i only got the car a week ago i really needed to know this info just in case i could not get to a descent fuel stop.
Anyway guys thanks for the info hope this helps any other out there.
Old 04 November 2005, 04:33 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

some interesting comments but i do not mean to cause any friction

anyway this is what happened ....
fuel light came on ... but i got home but drove off boost all the way - i agree not much fuel in the tank could leave in the feed breathing vapour and that is not good. On the way to work this morning i put 3 litres in a can (just in case) and carried on driving off boost until i got to Tesco total of 21 miles with the light on.
Filled up and squeezed in 54 litres - so i as i roughly get 4-5 miles a litre i recon the light comes on at 10 litres left in tank. So careful driving should get you 50 miles but that really would be the limit.
As i only got the car a week ago i really needed to know this info just in case i could not get to a descent fuel stop.
Anyway guys thanks for the info hope this helps any other out there.
You haven't caused any friction mate, locking horns with Pete is just an amusing past time for a number of people on here. Consider carrying a bottle of octane booster with you, that way if you do get caught short and have to put crappy fuel in, you can always top it up.

Cheers

J

Quick Reply: how fuel when the light comes on