Sponsored by:

What subaru would u choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2005, 08:10 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What subaru would u choose?

i was looking at spending 8-8.5k on a subaru early next year and fancied a uk my99/00. but whilst looking at them i came across a few bug eye ones? 2001 sort of age WRX. what would u choose? (im 22 with 6 points so no imports or high powered models!)lol- i have seen a bugeye with quad looking front lights which looked quite nice! also the dash looks better! and in general the car looks more modern! what are they like back to back? whats their advantages/ disadvantages?

cheers fellas, hopefully this thread will give me some info to go on and buy one or the other!!

Paul
Old 02 November 2005, 08:16 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

This will open a classic v new age debait.

Quick answers (In My Opinion)

the equivelant classic will be slightly quicker due to less weight, the extra weight in the bug eye has been used to stiffen body up, much nicer interior and build quality.

The choice really can only be made to you, if you go for the bug make sure it has quad lights as you mention, as this was the only sore point for me on mine before changing them.

*puts flame suit on and cringes
Old 02 November 2005, 08:49 PM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

lol i have read the classic Vs newage thread! i dont want to start that off again sooo...........

i think im going to get a bug one. first mods will be lights and clear indicators! who knows what the quad looking front lights are called? the ones u can colour code! i have seen some which u cant??
Old 02 November 2005, 08:53 PM
Moray
Scooby Regular

Buy a Justy, ideal for todays high fuel prices and speed camera roads
Old 02 November 2005, 08:56 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
lol i have read the classic Vs newage thread! i dont want to start that off again sooo...........

i think im going to get a bug one. first mods will be lights and clear indicators! who knows what the quad looking front lights are called? the ones u can colour code! i have seen some which u cant??
This is mine with the prodrive lights, the colour coded ones are by morette around £300 unpainted.

You have made the right choice BTW
Old 02 November 2005, 10:22 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Yep I agree, go for the bugeye. I had the same dilema last May and went for the bugeye WRX and haven't looked back. I think the Classics do look better but the newage have better build quality, interior, safety, etc.

More car for your money.

The first mods I'd go for are:

- detango
- decat centre and replace backbox
- performance panel filter
- ecutek remap

Job's a good 'un.

Old 02 November 2005, 10:54 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

Got to be a wagon, WRX of course.

At least then you won't have to buy a shell suit and baseball cap and go and live in Essex. ( although I believe Finchingfield is quite nice).

And you won't get asked to step outside the vehicle by the Police and adopt the posture.
Old 02 November 2005, 10:58 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CLASSIC EVERY TIME.

IMO
Old 02 November 2005, 11:06 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gubby
Got to be a wagon, WRX of course.

At least then you won't have to buy a shell suit and baseball cap and go and live in Essex. ( although I believe Finchingfield is quite nice).

And you won't get asked to step outside the vehicle by the Police and adopt the posture.
Dont judge everyone by your own standards.

And you cant buy shell suits anymore Trust me ive looked evrywhere
Old 02 November 2005, 11:06 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

another classic supporter lol

my advise, go test drive both, have a look round both and decide rather than get peoples opinions, your car after all mate and your gonna have to live with it after you've bought it.

just my thoughts matey
Old 02 November 2005, 11:19 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
another classic supporter lol

my advise, go test drive both, have a look round both and decide rather than get peoples opinions, your car after all mate and your gonna have to live with it after you've bought it.

just my thoughts matey
Absolutely, couldn't agree more. It's all down to your own personal taste.

Both cars are fantasic, it will boil down to how you feel about each one when you're sat in it.

Let's be honest - it's a nice dilema!!!
Old 02 November 2005, 11:20 PM
gubby
Scooby Regular

And you cant buy shell suits anymore Trust me ive looked evrywhere
Tell that to Mr Dron M8.
Old 03 November 2005, 12:00 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

i was looking at spending 8-8.5k on a subaru early next year and fancied a uk my99/00. but whilst looking at them i came across a few bug eye ones? 2001 sort of age WRX. what would u choose? (im 22 with 6 points so no imports or high powered models!)lol- i have seen a bugeye with quad looking front lights which looked quite nice! also the dash looks better! and in general the car looks more modern! what are they like back to back? whats their advantages/ disadvantages?

cheers fellas, hopefully this thread will give me some info to go on and buy one or the other!!

Paul
Aint you bought a scoob yet!

There be another 3 models out before you decide.

I cant comment on the bug-eye, but I have owned a Classic and now own a blob-eye, But being 23 Ive found insurance cheaper on the blob-eye then I did on the classic, Have you had a check on insurance quotes for a bugeye yet.
Old 03 November 2005, 12:06 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

I think you should disregard most of the advice you'll get on this debate. Tidgy is right - people's opinions are gonna be based on what they want from a car, not what you want. Drive them both for as long as possible at frisky speeds and one will say "Buy me!".

The other of course will say "I'm a big lardy barge that looks like someone inserted a hedgehog into my rectal cavity, which can be the only explanation for my lack of pace as well"
Old 03 November 2005, 12:28 AM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I was in the same position about a year ago now. I went for the bug-eye as you might have guessed.

The car I bought would be kept for several years, and for me, a classic just looks too dated now and what about the Barry boys. The bug-eye isn't as hardcore as the classic, but then it is superior in many other areas already mentioned above.

With relatively affordable modifications the bug-eye can quite easily be made much less compromising. I'll agree that the typical classic looks better than the typical bug-eye, but I personally think a well modified bug-eye looks better than a well modified classic. It's the flared arches that tip it for me.

As said above, you have to drive them both, consider your future plans, and then decide for yourself what want. As a second track-day type car I would probably have gone for a classic, but as I run just a single car, the bug-eye was the obvious choice.
Old 03 November 2005, 07:52 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the comments fellas! i feel pretty much the same as most ppl....the classics look the best standard, and perform better but with a few mods, i will have an equally fast car which looks 'newer' and will not get all the chav comments etc! and once had the headlights changed and bigger wheels and spoiler, looks better!

scoobyboy1 - i looked at insurance and for the wrx bugeye its £1859 compared to £1496 for the classic.........so heres another factor! decisions decisions!!!
Old 03 November 2005, 08:32 AM
danwrx1980
Scooby Regular

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUBARU-IMPREZA...QQcmdZViewItem

this is the one i'd go for!!
i'm a bug eye WRX owner and love my car to bits, but would also love to own one of the classic RB5's, a lovely looking machine.
But as stated you can't go wrong with a bug eye.
Old 03 November 2005, 08:35 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Has to be a classic for me too, IMHO, Subaru made a right ***** up on the bugeye model.
Cheers
Colin
Old 03 November 2005, 08:38 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

might be worth looking at both types for sale around the place and seeing if any jump out at ya that you realy like, bear in mind to get the performance of the classic your gonna have to mod the bug eye which will bump up insurance.
Old 03 November 2005, 08:39 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

i do love the top of the range classic imprezas like rb5 p1s etc but cant get insured! id need a uk turbo or wrx bug one
Old 03 November 2005, 08:49 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Classic, without any shadow of a doubt. The 03 WRX I had was mediocre, the rose-tinted brain/nostalgia tells me that my MY00 UK Turbo was a lot less refined, maybe not quite as good in the handling department, but somehow was a lot more fun
Old 03 November 2005, 09:42 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I would drive both first and then make a decision. I own a UK classic and I love the thing. I've never driven another Subaru and only recently have bugeyes started to grow on me - maybe more so than the blob-eye Impreza.

I'm quite tempted to stop modding my UK car and some point next year change to a bug eye. In my case though it'll be an STI or maybe Spec C.
Old 03 November 2005, 10:03 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Shame about your age and the points, maybe worth finding out about a quote though. this in autotrader

8,995 ono, so I'd say you'd get at least 500 off maybe a grand for a car that would run rings around any bog standard UK version. Ive got 6 points on my licence and it has no effect. Lower your budget for a few grand and pick up an sti 4 door, and put the rest towards insurance.

Failing that and you want to have a low powered Impreza, classic everytime
Old 03 November 2005, 05:03 PM
V1CK1
Scooby Regular

Classic looks far more aggresive, just my humble opinion

Vicki

Of course i have a classic and its the best car in the world......to me
Old 03 November 2005, 05:43 PM
martynh
Scooby Newbie

i do love the top of the range classic imprezas like rb5 p1s etc but cant get insured! id need a uk turbo or wrx bug one
Howdy Paul

Get a classic, look a million miles better than a "bug eye".

PS
failing that you could always get back into a clio...
Old 03 November 2005, 05:50 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

And just to even things up a bit

Naw, the new age is much, much more agressive and moden looking with it's blown arches and decent interior makes the 'classic' look like an old 1980's Hyundai or Dawoo or something! all in my own humble opinion of course as a buy eye owner..

Clarkie, have you driven either yet? just go do it and buy what it is you want and like!!

Last edited by BrynO; 03 November 2005 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03 November 2005, 06:00 PM
BIRD__FLU
Scooby Newbie

i would be happy with any Scooby
Old 03 November 2005, 06:21 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
I would drive both first and then make a decision. I own a UK classic and I love the thing. I've never driven another Subaru and only recently have bugeyes started to grow on me - maybe more so than the blob-eye Impreza.

I'm quite tempted to stop modding my UK car and some point next year change to a bug eye. In my case though it'll be an STI or maybe Spec C.
S202 is the best bugeye ever, and the only bugeye I would consider swapping my blobeye for.

I went from classic to blobeye, and to be honest I do prefer the classic, it made me feel like a boyracer, but with the blobeye its more grown up.
Old 03 November 2005, 06:46 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

scoobyboy1 - i looked at insurance and for the wrx bugeye its £1859 compared to £1496 for the classic.........so heres another factor! decisions decisions!!!
!!!!! faints !!!!!!!
bl00dy hell
!!regains composure!!
try them both mate, go to a dealer and take them both for a little ride.
its a big decision and 1 only you can make as WE aint goona be the ones that are unhappy 2 weeks down the line , nice decision to be making though fella and the best of luck to ya

p.s I tried them both and went for the bugeye as I thought the overall quality was better.
Old 04 November 2005, 11:44 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the advice ppl! martyn....hello mate ;-) id love a clio as a second car someday!great little cars! im going to try and drive both soon, as i have not been to drive either yet as the closest i have seen for sale is about 35 miles and currently car-less!lol