Sponsored by:

Pretty sure the big end bearings have just gone

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2005, 11:06 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Pretty sure the big end bearings have just gone

Was driving home on motorway tonight (approx 85mph in 5th), all of a sudden noticed some activity from the knocklink, heard an awful loud clanking /banging/ticking noise coming from the engine, immediatly pull straight onto the hard shoulder, the engine had cut out at some point when i was rapidly slowing down. I waited a min to try and think what just went on, started her back up, only to hear a loud fu*in noise coming from the engine and 99% confirm what I was praying it wasnt....waited a bast*rd 1 1/2 hrs (got bored so checked for fault codes and there were none flashing up) on the hardshoulder of motorway (could it have possibly been any colder and windyer????????????) for a flatbed recovery truck to turn up to take me home....oh my breakdown cover only lets them take me a max 10 miles and I live 30 miles away = £80 bill to get home!

STi 5 (MY99), 80k, decat, optimax + octane boost, huge service by the clinic 3-400 miles ago, always warmed up/cooled down etc.

I dont know what to do, cannot afford to have this fixed till april/may next year, totally gutted and *****d off. Can anyone give me any rough estimates on repair prices, I know it depends on the extent of the damage but any estimate mite help, or any advise?? I'll be ringing the clinic on mon to discuss what I should do and what they recommend....in the meantime im just f*king gutted
Old 30 October 2005, 12:32 AM
jimby
Scooby Regular

it may not be the big ends, after all when a big end goes (its usually just the one thats had its oil ways blocked, its overheated and worn the bearing resulting in the rod being able to clunk back and forth. it usually makes a really dull heavy knocking and thats it. if so the engine will need stripping and the crank regrinding and maybe a line bore on the case, either way if it is a spun or worn big end it will be a fair old job.

it could however been something simple like a dropped valve, in that case all you'll need is a new piston, some rings and head (hopefully!) much cheaper.

good luck
Old 30 October 2005, 11:09 AM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

I daren't start the engine up again to have another listen incase the thing implodes, all I remember from yesterday is the noise sounded expensive, to make things worse i had just put a full tank of optimax + booster in and bought 12 months tax that very morning!

Oh its not dripping oil anywhere, oil is on the full mark on the dipstick, it might just be me but when looking at the oil on the dipstick under a bright light it looks like lots of very very very small metallic particles in the oil, you cant feel it on your fingers, it can only be seen under a bright light, if that indicates anything??
Old 30 October 2005, 12:14 PM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzy_B
I daren't start the engine up again to have another listen incase the thing implodes, all I remember from yesterday is the noise sounded expensive, to make things worse i had just put a full tank of optimax + booster in and bought 12 months tax that very morning!

Oh its not dripping oil anywhere, oil is on the full mark on the dipstick, it might just be me but when looking at the oil on the dipstick under a bright light it looks like lots of very very very small metallic particles in the oil, you cant feel it on your fingers, it can only be seen under a bright light, if that indicates anything??
You can always claim your Tax back. Save a little money.

G.
Old 30 October 2005, 01:09 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What did the breakdown people say was wrong with it?
Old 30 October 2005, 05:45 PM
Ozzy_B
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
What did the breakdown people say was wrong with it?
Tbh the guy didnt even look at the engine, he just turned up, asked what was wrong with it, then put it onto the back of the flatbed . It wasnt an RAC technician, as they said they had no flatbed vehicles, so they got one of there contract companies to send out a recovery truck, so he was just a driver