Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fitted "Performance Creations" Mudflaps to Wagon

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2005, 10:08 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitted "Performance Creations" Mudflaps to Wagon - Pics added!!!

I just fitted a set of these, version 2 with the stainless steel brackets, to my wagon. They were reasonably easy to fit, even without taking the wheels off!

Lessons learned (so you don't have to - I could have saved about a half hour had I known these things beforehand):

- don't use too small a drill for the self tappers, or they're too tight to drive fully home, and you'll strip the bolt crossheads, plus swear a lot
- don't try and drill the holes with your drill still set on "reverse" from the last job either
- put the car on full right lock, and you can easily get to the rear of offside front wheelarch to put the black plastic thingies in
- use chalk to mark where the drilled holes should go
- put it in full left lock and you can just get an electric drill in behind offside front wheel to drill the two self tapping screwholes (and of course opposite way for nearside)
- jack up the car at the back to get access to the rear wheelarches, and again, you should just be able to get the drll in behind the tyre (NB on the nearside you can actually drill from the back of the bodywork instead, offside has a plastic box thing in the way under the car)
- I used M6 black bolts and plastic washers, with square nuts in back, to secure the mudflap to the rear bumper, as the plastic serrated push in thingies supplied were far too loose.
- although the instructions do not indicate the need to bend the rear steel bracket, I had to trim off about a cm of mudflap material (otherwise it was going to be folded round with the bracket and look c**p) and almost double the bracket back on itself to fit the bodywork. Maybe it's a wagon thing?

Anyway, they went on OK, I painted the whole screwed in areas with black underseal (last tip, don't get it on your skin, it isn't coming off very easily), and they look fine. Sorry, no pics to post, it's too dark to get any decent ones.

Hope someone gets some good out of my efforts!

Last edited by Crosstalk; 27 October 2005 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Title amended
Old 26 October 2005, 08:11 AM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Show us ya flaps then !!

Piccies.

Rob
Old 26 October 2005, 08:49 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

I fitted mine last week, on the second attempt, this time using some decent drill bits! I must admit there was no way I could have got the drill in without removing the wheels, but mine isn't a wagon so whether this makes a difference, or whether I'm just clumsy I'm not sure...

I also had to bend the metal brackets, both on the front and the back, but I didn't have to trim the rear flaps at all. I like your idea of using some M6 bolts for the back ones as I also thought the plastic plugs seemed very loose. I think I'll do that tomorrow today in fact.

My car's in today having the wheels refurbished in black chrome and some new tyres fitted, so I'm going to take some pictures once I have it back.
Old 26 October 2005, 11:19 AM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

i'm thinking of getting some flaps for my 55 wrx wagon, crystal grey, so i'll be going with black ones. don't really wanna be drilling holes though.

any suggestions on ones to go for. cheers. lets see how much elephant want extra for a set of flaps... £100?
Old 27 October 2005, 06:22 PM
Crosstalk
Scooby Regular

Pictures here:

Last edited by Crosstalk; 27 October 2005 at 06:24 PM.