Sponsored by:

Car for sale - Is this guy a little eager

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2005, 03:27 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car for sale - Is this guy a little eager

I've now got my Scoob advertised on Autotrader, and have received the following email....
Hello,

I saw your advert on the web and i am interested in your 2003 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX AWD Turbo 4dr Saloon,please i will like you to get back to me with more conditions or the pictures before we can arrange for the payment because it is needed urgently

i am ready to pay £12,700
please kindly reply to me if this available
so that we can arrange for fast payment thanks

Best regards
Mr whittam
Without seeing the car he is willing to pay the asking price I've had the usual foreign sob story, but this seems a bit more local yet still suspicious. The English is poor, but then again so is a lot of what I read on here

I've asked him to call me on a landline phone, making sure the number is not withheld, and if anyone wants to view I intend to meet them a couple of miles away in the local Police station car park before returning to my home address.
Old 25 October 2005, 03:33 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The next message you get from him will be along the lines of 'being out of the country' and 'I owe a mate loads of cash' etc..

People generally DON'T buy used cars without viewing them. If they don't wanna view it, then forget them, more likely to be scammers.
Old 25 October 2005, 03:35 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I've now got my Scoob advertised on Autotrader, and have received the following email....

Without seeing the car he is willing to pay the asking price I've had the usual foreign sob story, but this seems a bit more local yet still suspicious. The English is poor, but then again so is a lot of what I read on here

I've asked him to call me on a landline phone, making sure the number is not withheld, and if anyone wants to view I intend to meet them a couple of miles away in the local Police station car park before returning to my home address.
I think your instincts are right: you simply wouldn't offer to buy a car you'd not seen and it does sound like a generic E-mail. I'd give it a wide berth to be honest.

NS04
Old 25 October 2005, 03:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Signed: 'Mr Whittam' ?
Old 25 October 2005, 03:48 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Dave,

I was getting 5 or so e-mails a day like that when trying to sell my Audi quattro. When you read them the bad spelling gives you a foreign flavour.

Nobody who is serious about buying a car will pay without seeing.

So they got trashed straight away.

hth.

Damian.
Old 25 October 2005, 03:54 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Deffo a scammer, as mentioned above next e-mail will say that he will send some sort of bankers draft/cheque for more than the cars worth, you deduct the price of the car and send him the balance together with the car. Eventually the draft will bounce and you'll be left not only without a car but also several thousand pounds.

Bin it, or even better string him along and waste as much of his time as you can. There's some really funny websites of people doing exactly this, 419.com or something like that.

Chris
Old 25 October 2005, 03:57 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

heres just a few i had....

Hello,
i am mr Chris McGrady,i am located in scotland, i have a customer right now that is willing to buy your(car)for £7,995
I will like you to tell me your last offering price and its present condition immediately,My costomer will be willing to pay by a U.k cheque.
so tell me the cost and present condition of the(car)and any recent pictures,and i will also like to know if you will accept a U.k cheque for the payment of the consignment.Get back to me as soon as possible so that we can get this transaction sealed.i look forward to read from you.Best regards,
(chris)

Hi Seller,
This is Andrea Gomez.I'm much interested in purchasing your (CAR).please
get back to me with the following details at your earliest convenience.
1) if still available for sale......
2) your last offer price....
3) Email detail discription of its present condiction.
Your immediate response will be much appreciated.
Thanks,
A.Gomez.

Hello John,
I saw this your ads.( CAR) I am interested in buying it. I will like to know the present condition of it and your last price you want to sell it. Payment will be through a money order.and shipment will be handled by my reliable shipping company so i want you to get back to me asap today
thanks

Hello,
in respect of your advert,i saw on the net and am really interested in buying the car for my only son for is birthday that will be coming up very soon.so i will like you to give me the detail or conditions and also the last price of the car i've already seen the details on the net and it okay with me.Dont about the shipping because my shipping agent will come for the pick up.I will be waiting to read rom you soonest so that i can contact my associate to make arrangement for your payment.stay bless and have a nice day.
Regards
peter.

everyone gets them all the time, check the auto trader website, there used to be a list of the email addresses, if its still there, check it for the email you recieved, if its not listed, send them a copy, some people actualy get into this. They send you out a draft, you bank it, they take the car, it briefly appears on your statement as cleared funds, then its found to be stolen or something similar to that.

john

Trending Topics

Old 25 October 2005, 03:57 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep def a scammer, international moneygram order will probably be mentioned at some point to.
Old 25 October 2005, 03:59 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Block the e-mails and **** em off!!!
Old 25 October 2005, 04:03 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

heres one i have just found, i started to string this one along, but i gave a false address, make sure you do as well if you do decide to string him along...

Hello,
I saw your vehicle on the internet, i am interested in purchasing it, but first i'd like to know the following things, if its diesel or petrol,and the mileage, and also if it has been
involved in any accidents in the past, i will also like you to mail me back with the present condition and pics am ready to buy.
In your mail, please let me also know the LEAST PRICE you'll sell for.
Regards
KEVIN CASE

HELLO John Newcombe

Thanks for your mail, as for the price of £8500, i find it quite reasonable, and i'll have my client to go for it, but since i wouldn't be able to come over myself, as i am tied down now with other negotiations, i'll have my client issue you a cheque for £15,000 this will cover the shipping expenses and my agents fee and his travelling expenses, to come over and pick up the car for shipping.
I don't mind the cheque having to get cleared by the bank before we get the car, but i want to know if i can trust you on sending the remaining balance to my agent through Western union Money Transfer as soon as the cheque is cashed.
To start with the procurement of the cheque, i'll need the following information from you:
Your full address (street,city/town,state,Country and post code), : number and full name to be written on the cheque/draft.
Thanks again and looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Best Regards
kevin case
N.B My client says its a lovely CAR and would like to get it for his wife as a birthday present, have seen the picture of the car and am very happy to let you know that am eager to purchase your car, my shipping agent will come for the pick up of the car as soon as the check clears.

HELLO

HOW ARE YOU DOING?JUST MAIL TO ASK IF U HAVE RECEIVED THE CHECK,CUS MY CLIENT TOLD ME HE AS ALREADY ISSUED IT OUT TO YOU,SO I WANT TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE RECEIVE IT.

GET BACK TO ME IMMEDIATELY U READ THIS MAIL.

MY REGARDS TO YOUR FAMILY.

CHEERS

KEVIN

HELLO

HOW ARE YOU DOING TODAY?GUESS EVERYTHING IS FINE,JUST MAIL TO ASK IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE CHECK,CUS I CALLED MY CLIENT AND HE TOLD ME U HAVE SUPPOSE TO RECEIVE IT BY NOW,SO I WANT TO KNOW IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THE CHECK NOW.

GET BACK TO ME IMMEDITELY U RECEIVE THIS MAIL SO THAT I WILL KNOW THE NEXT STEP TO TAKE.

MY REGARDS TO YOUR FAMILY.

CHEERS

kevin case

hello

how was your day?guess everything was fine.

just mail to let you know that you will be getting the check any time from now,what actually happened is that i discovered the deliverying company through whivh we send the check,did not deliver the check,so i had to go to there head office to report the case to there manager,so i can assure rigth now that everything is in good shape,so the check as been send again and you will be getting it anytime from now.

so as soon as soon as you receive the check,pls dont hesitate to mail me.

THANKS FOR YOUR HONESTY.

my regards to your family.

cheers

They are persistant lol

John
Old 25 October 2005, 04:07 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

.....or string them along. Give them a false name and address and get them to send you the cheque. Ignore or block any further emails. waste some of their time and money for a change. Would be very satisfying knowing they got their hopes up of some easy money and then for it not to happen

damn beaten to it by post above
Old 25 October 2005, 04:08 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION
THANKS FOR YOUR HONESTY.
John
cheeky bast4rds!
Old 25 October 2005, 04:14 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

i wanted to actualy see what they sent, but i was a little to scared of finding my car gone one day, so i dropped it after a while...

john
Old 25 October 2005, 04:20 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Give them the address of your local cop shop to send all the details through to. Then play away

If they send around the heavies, I'm sure local plod will only be too happy to let them in
Old 25 October 2005, 04:31 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

CHUCK IT IN THE BIN!

i am selling a sony w800i unused + unopened on ebay for £199 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

i got this question->
Hello Our company have Interest in this your listed item,we need this that we pay up there salary in the end of 2 weeks and we need the items urgently ,So the items will be added to the salary of our workers as a gift as we always do when paying there salaries. So our company is going to make the payment right away through one of the fast secure way of payment delivery which is (BidPay Money Order)or Postal money order . So we will need your contact name and address where you want the payment to be deliver to you to and we make the payment right away . The payment will be make and you will receive an approved confirmation letter from (BidPay Money Order ) that the payment have been paid & approved . So we make an offer of $1200.00 for each item . So the items is needed urgently now to be added to the workers salaries so this items most be deliver within 4 days after payment approved and calculate the shipping cost to our company in africa thanks...............

my answer->
^^ i'm not stupid enough to fall for that old trick. so i post it now, then you pay for it. why would you want to pay $1200 for a phone worth around £300?
Old 25 October 2005, 04:32 PM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

if these guys really wanna make moeny by scammin good people then they should make sure their english is up to scratch,,the spelling mistakes are just such a giveaway.
Old 25 October 2005, 04:35 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Does anyone know if Whittan is a common Nigerian name
Old 25 October 2005, 04:37 PM
Houghton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by furrydice79
if these guys really wanna make moeny by scammin good people then they should make sure their english is up to scratch,,the spelling mistakes are just such a giveaway.
That makes 99% of people on here foreigners, you included
Old 25 October 2005, 04:39 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Does anyone know if Whittan is a common Nigerian name

der... yeah, lol

they aint very clever these muppets,

John
Old 25 October 2005, 05:11 PM
magicdudey
Scooby Regular

I have been selling on ebay for years and have a very good 100% ratings!
I recently had the hardest time ever on ebay when I went to sell a Brand New Nokia 8800. I suddenly had all the idiotic buffoons in the whole wide world came out to buy it.there were false address, scammers from Nigeri, a african king who wanted it for him sister........I had to re-list it 4 time and it finally sold on Friday buy a paypal protected buyer. What a palava trying to sell soemthing genuine and being blagged by idiots, guttersnipes, scumbuckets and dirt *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 25 October 2005, 05:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice guys The only car I've sold in the last 10 years was to my girlfriend It's a dangerous world out there these days
Old 25 October 2005, 05:52 PM
Re-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've run into one particularly persistent scammer on eBay. I wanted to buy a Sony Aibo (one of these robot dog thingies) and he was offering them for much too low a price, but, of course, ONLY if it was done by email.

Read below - start from the bottom

You must really think I'm stupid. I've been suspicious from the first minute I saw this and now I know it's a scam.

How many things have you done wrong? Man, I cant even count them...

- article posted in completely the wrong area of eBay
- article doesn't match description
- too easy to accept a "compromise" price of 300 pounds when the normal eBay auction price is around 700 pounds
- both Aibos auctions removed as soon as I offered you a price for one, even though supposedly you have 10 available
- no name given even when asked
- immediately went to DHL to post the parcel (unlikely but possible I suppose)
- ridiculously unprofessional email supposedly from DHL - what a joke. "Do not contact us by phone!" - I mean, come on!! There wasn't even any mention of this service on www.dhl.com or www.dhl.es Btw Danzas vanished a long time ago when all DHL companies were rebranded as DHL. And the domain name wasn't even correctly spelt!!
- No reply to "gracias" even though supposedly you are Spanish or in Spain...
- ... etc, too many more things to list.

Needless to say this whole email conversation and all details are now being forwarded to eBay for criminal investigation. As are the following details:

WHOIS information for dhl-airborne-expres.com:

[whois.melbourneit.com]

Domain Name.......... dhl-airborne-expres.com
Creation Date........ 2005-07-28
Registration Date.... 2005-07-28
Expiry Date.......... 2006-07-28
Organisation Name.... ZBIGNIEW SZARA
Organisation Address. 776 Madelyn DR
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Des Plaines
Organisation Address. 60016
Organisation Address. IL
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... ZBIGNIEW SZARA
Admin Address........ 776 Madelyn DR
Admin Address........
Admin Address........ Des Plaines
Admin Address........ 60016
Admin Address........ IL
Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
Admin Email.......... support@dhl-airborne-expres.com
Admin Phone.......... +1.6157626742
Admin Fax............

Amazing what you can find on the internet.

So expect some heat - you deserve it. People like you give companies like eBay a bad name and ruin the internet for normal people. I sincerely hope you end up in jail.

By the way the address I gave you is false as I was already certain this was a scam. Just so you know.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 17 September 2005 16:13
To: [Richard]
Subject: Re: Aibo

I have come back from DHL . The Aibo is in their custody now. you should receive the delivery notification in your e-mail.
How soon do you think you can make the payment?

In a message dated 9/17/2005 5:53:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [Richard] writes:

Hi,

Ok, I agree, that sounds fair. Here is my delivery address:

[a made-up address]

Can you tell me how much the transfer fees will be (approximately)?

Could I also have your name please?

Best wishes
Richard

Sent: 17 September 2005 14:48

ok, 300 GBP include shipping cost.
I will shipp the Aibo using DHL Express Spain .
DHL Express is a service that insures that the transactions made are sure for both of us.I will pick up the money after you will receive the package.I only know that the package will stay in their custody and will be insured.They keep it in their custody and they will release the Aibo to you after you confirm the payment to them.They will bring you the Aibo and release the payment information to me only if you are satiesfied by the Aibo .I will pay for the DHL Express fees and you will pay for the transfer fees.
I think this is safe for us.I need only your full name and address and I will go to the DHL Express to put the package.After that you will receive an email from DHL Express and they will let you know what you have to do.
Thanks

In a message dated 9/17/2005 5:46:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [Richard] writes:

Ok, I'm interested in buying, but I don't think the auction will get to 360 pounds - therefore I will offer you 280 pounds, otherwise I will wait for the auction... maybe we can compromise on price?

Richard

Sent: 17 September 2005 14:43

Mind 2 version.
please let me know if you are interested to buy.
Thank you

In a message dated 9/17/2005 5:42:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [Richard] writes:

Thank you! One final question (sorry) - is it the Mind or Mind2 version?

Gracias
Richard

Sent: 17 September 2005 14:36

The aibo come with all manuals and all accesoriess that you need, with all software,
Thank you
Please let me now if you are still interested to buy,

In a message dated 9/17/2005 5:30:00 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [Richard] writes:

Thanks for the quick reply! If Aibo is brand new and in the box, are the manuals there too? Are the all the accessories there?

Cheers
Richard

Sent: 17 September 2005 14:28

The aibo is brand ne win the box with 1 year warranty,
Buy it now price is 360 GBP.
I have 10 units in stock.
Please let me know if you are interested to buy.

Thank you

In a message dated 9/17/2005 5:25:50 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [Richard] writes:

Hello,

I've been looking at your Aibos for sale on eBay. How many do you have? You seem to have two auctions, each one says "I have 10 units in stock" but then later you say "I've owned this for a year" which implies you only have one! If you have more than one, are you auctioning them individually?

A simple question too: why are the manuals missing? What is the history of the toys (where bought etc)?

If I am happy with everything I will bid on eBay :-)

Best wishes

Richard
Basically NEVER take any auction privately outside of eBay, and NEVER do anything with money orders, such as Western Union etc...

Richard
Old 25 October 2005, 06:05 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Talking

Originally Posted by furrydice79

Oooooo the irony
Old 25 October 2005, 09:13 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Could be worse, ARFAN could appear and ask for a discount.LOL.

Mac.
Old 25 October 2005, 09:42 PM
DaveA
Scooby Regular

I heard a funny story recently where the inocent seller decided to give a little payback. He was selling a laptop on e-bay in the States and had one of these offers of a cheque for blah and give me money back blah blah etc. So he e-mailed back saying ok - send the cheque. The scammer then wrote back to ask for the laptop to be sent to an address in London, but could the seller not declare that it was a laptop when he sent it, as the scammer would have to pay VAT on it. Inocent seller says ok. He then gets dodgy cheque which he bins, and packs up a box with a brick (or something heavy) in it. He sends this to the address and e-mails the scammer. The seller tells the scammer that the laptop's on it's way, but that he chickened out of lying about the parcel content so the scammer will have to pay the VAT. He appologised and said that he would pay half this amount when he returns the rest of the 'oversized cheque'. So the scammer says ok, and goes to collect his 'laptop' paying the tax man over here about £250, to find when he opened it...!!! He paid £250 for a brick! Inocent seller chuckles to himself...!!!

Don't know if that's a true story - I read it somewhere - but it sounds like justice to me and I laughed when I read it!

Last edited by DaveA; 25 October 2005 at 09:45 PM.
Old 25 October 2005, 09:49 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its 100% fake mate sorry
Old 25 October 2005, 10:01 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pimmo2000
Its 100% fake mate sorry
not quite!!

its 90% correct, the actual reverse scam was for a powerbook,

do a search on sn for the thread and link

Mart
Old 25 October 2005, 10:09 PM
pete8tch
Scooby Newbie

i had this selling my gixxer 1000, usual nigerian ****e even got the cheque which turned out suprisingly to be forged.
its the time it takes to clear thats the problem, the bank will clear it in 4 days but will take the money back out from your account around 2/3 weeks later when they find its forged bless em.
the guy at the fraud section of western union told me they have over 2500 cases on their books
Old 26 October 2005, 12:11 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

They're still trying

Originally Posted by scamming batsrads
Hello

Thanks for your mail and also i will want you to know that we are really interested to buy your 2003 SUBARU IMPREZA 2.0 WRX from you but please i will want you to re_ list the condition again because i am purchasing the car for my daugther wedding first week december ,

Please get back to me with more condition about the car because i am arrange for fast payment as soon as possible so that everything should meet with the date ok

And also i will want you to know that i am a far away buyer from israel but i will be responsible for the shippment ,Payment will be made in United Kingdom, please get back to me as soon as possible because i will like to arrange for the payment in time because after i purchase it i will have to take to the expert for more service which will take almost one week to do that ,Please get back to me as soon as you got my message, ,please my phone has a little problem which i will not be able to call now i am sorry but it will be solve within one week

Best Regard.
Mr & Mrs Whittam
Think I'll string 'em along for a while
Old 26 October 2005, 12:12 AM
serega
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Whittam Kevin <whittam_kevin@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
Hello,

I saw your advert on the web and i am interested in your 1999 SUBARU LEGACY,please i will like you to get back to me with more conditions or the pictures before we can arrange for the payment because it is needed urgently

i am ready to pay £9,250 (I knew the guy fake from this moment on, as i know noone would be dumb enough to pay this moneys for my car
please kindly reply to me if this available
so that we can arrange for fast payment thanks

HI, That is very good that you are very interested in the car, this is very beautiful car, you will get a hardon everytime you drive this car, this is like someone is sucking your Cxxx when you drive it..very good car...Condition is very very good , the wheels are not falling off yet and the engine is still not very rusty, however there is a little hamster living in cylinder #3, but thankfully he still did not manage to eat his way through the exhaust system, maybe he will, but i wouldnt worry unless you get a very strong smell of hampster steak - BUT even if you do, dont worry and dont hurry to jump out of the car, because it is possible that its just your ********* burning due to faulty wiring in the heated seats - the smells are somewhat alike.
SO everything is in good shape, how do you like to pay the monies ? i also think because you are a foreigner you should pay me 12,000 pounds instead of 9,250 and because this is very good car, you should consider yourself very lucky to be getting such a bargain.
Please get back to me asap as i want to sell the car before the hampster eats the rest of the engine.

Best Regards
Yoosuc Kok

Now if he replies to that i'll be surprised:

Last edited by serega; 26 October 2005 at 02:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Car for sale - Is this guy a little eager