Sponsored by:

couple of Q's relating to RA and V-Ltd

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2005, 02:31 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question couple of Q's relating to RA and V-Ltd

I'm searching for a clean wrx sti at the moment but have found a couple of model variations which are confusing me a bit as to their spec. I'd appreciate some advice before I go and physically look at the cars...

I found what appears to be the perfect car advertised as an "Impreza STi 555 Type-RA". It has the roof vent, dccd and water spray, but does this model have the short ratio gearbox, and if so how much of a pain is this to live with in terms of revs at 70mph and the effect it may have on fuel economy?

I also found this http://www.jcimports.co.uk/SportsDetail.cfm?recordID=62 but was again unsure of spec due to it not having the STI clear lights at the back? Again, would this have the shorter ratio box?
Old 25 October 2005, 03:26 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

The RA isn't the best gearing for the motorway, mine does 75mph @ 4k rpm which is just about bearable, but if you're doing a lot of miles and like sitting at 85-90 then it will grate.

The clear lights started on the V3 STI's, MY97 and above
Old 25 October 2005, 03:33 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

The car in the link does have a roof vent, suggesting RA (hence short ratio gearbox) but no DCCD which suggests it isn't an STI RA. Strange one!
Old 25 October 2005, 03:57 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

The car in the link is an STi 555 special edition, which means it gets the roof vent and the sports blue paintwork. No DCCD. Usual STi gearing.

It's not an STi Type Ra.
Old 25 October 2005, 06:10 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

cheers chaps, will probably go and have a look at the 555 early next week, it might be more sensible than the RA. Shame it isn't sonic blue like the other one though...
Old 25 October 2005, 06:12 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I too was interested in these two models. One of my criteria was had it an engine rebuild recently, then if it had who done it. I was a bit wary of buying one that hadn't as i didnt want to dole out for a rebuild myself.
Old 25 October 2005, 06:21 PM
briforbes
Scooby Regular

Well the STI RA has covered 38000 miles and the 555 has covered 42000 so I wouldn't have thought a rebuild would be required for some time to come? I'll be keeping the car standard (at worst I'll change the exhaust, panel filter and get it re-mapped using a different ecu), so it's not like it's going to be subject to a great deal of stress.

Or are these models less reliable than regular wrx's?

I've been down the new engine route with my old mr2 turbo due to bottom end failure and I can't go through that again once I get an impreza. That's why I'm holding off until I find the cleanest example I can for the money.

Last edited by briforbes; 25 October 2005 at 06:24 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 25 October 2005, 06:28 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Not at all, if treated and serviced well. In fact, some early RA's and STI's had closed deck blocks which argueably are less likely to need a rebuild, indeed the CDB's are rare and sought after by people who into tuning them way beyond the OE spec!
Old 25 October 2005, 06:32 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Mileage is no indicator of impending engine problems. Its how the car has been run, looked after and whether youre lucky or not. There is an RA Ive seen for sale with an engine rebuild at 20k miles. At least with a car thats had an engine rebuild recently by a reputable firm, youll have a chance of remaining warranty and that the car will have been looked after a little bit more. Another thing to look out for is remapping for Uk fuel etc.

IMHO what is essential in my book it that there is a full service history with the car. The STI engines from what Ive seen are more prone to letting go and running them on the correct fuel is essential. Id be wary of "fresh imports" as well.
Old 25 October 2005, 07:02 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I too was interested in these two models. One of my criteria was had it an engine rebuild recently, then if it had who done it. I was a bit wary of buying one that hadn't as i didnt want to dole out for a rebuild myself.
Thats exactly why I changed from my UK car to a WRX RA Ltd after just a couple of months. The car came up came with an 1800 (had been run-in for 1k) mile old Autosportif short engine, rebuilt box 800 miles ago and a whole heap of other virtualy new consumables and goodies (HKS FMIC, Headers, Cuscos, New Pirelli Corsas, uprated clutch +flywheel, pads + disks, Fujitsubo TI etc etc). When I started to add up the cash spent in the last 5k miles it came to thousands........the car was chucked in free . They are out there and to my mind buying a car already specced up (not bodged up) can make very good sense economicaly.
Old 25 October 2005, 07:17 PM
bobsru
Scooby Regular

i dont find motorway use in my RA any more unbearable than i did in my old uk model, it also depends on what exhaust you have too, some can be a bit "droney" .as for the milage at a steady 70 they really arent too bad, but if you start caning it you will be lucky to see 150 on a tank full

i find the gearing awesome and sooo much fun, especially when the rear wheels are doing most of the work
get one......you`ll love it