Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Press Article re: 2006 STi (good read)

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2005, 10:31 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Press Article re: 2006 STi (good read)

Subaru has always had a unique blend of supercar performance at an affordable price, but with the restrictions that were in place on Japanese imports they mainly promoted and sold the infamous fourwheel-drive WRX versions. But now, without the quotas, there is a chance for Subaru to exploit the whole of the Impreza range.

The new range looks different. Whilst it has retained the floorpan of the previous model, the externals have had a dynamic facelift. There is a new corporate, softer look to the front, Subaru describes it as a spread-wings grille and hawk-eye headlamps.

I just like the look of it, it looks now more mellow, more mild, a more sanitised version. I never really fell in love with the previous bug-eye model, but I like this corporate look that has been achieved by the designers for the new 2006 models.

There has been a host of improvements on the new range, most of them beneath the skin, that the average person will never encounter.

The Impreza has retained the Boxster engine and in fact I cannot see Subaru ever changing from that, its part of its DNA, part of its pedigree and heritage and it will always remain so. In addition, this design enables superb handling. Subaru promotes heavily its stability, its agility, its dynamics and of course its traction.

The two-litre model in the range has had a huge increase in power, it is now 160bhp, an increase of 35bhp over the previous models and this makes the “conventional”, if we dare use the word, Subaru Impreza, a very attractive proposition.

The WRX STi, has also benefited, its power is up by 16bhp to 281bhp from the now larger 2.5-litre engine. But more importantly, the amount of torque that the engine produces has also been increased. For those interested, the increase in power in the WRX Sti version now lifts its top speed to 158mph, with 0-60mph in a blistering five seconds.

However, the two-litre is no slouch, it also has an increase in its top speed and will now achieve 130mph and its 0-60mph time is 8.5 seconds.

Of course it is not all about out-and-out performance, the attraction of all-wheel-drive which Subaru has pioneered from the outset is one of tranquillity, stability and peace of mind in most if not all situations.

You need to put the Impreza 06 at the side of its predecessor to notice the changes. The bonnet has been lengthened, the front bumpers have been extensively modified and now have concave horizontal corner spoilers which help to smooth airflow down the side of the car, small features which enhance performance. In addition, vertical air intakes at the side of the bumper enable the brakes to be cooled even more efficiently. It is these small features that may not at first take your eye.

A new design of colour-keyed side-skirts adds to the sporty look of the vehicle, and they are integrated with the overall body design to give a nice sweeping, swooping line, which continues to flow throughout the whole vehicle to the rear bumper.

All models in the new 06 range have had changes to the road wheels. Alloys are standard across the range with the two-litre having 16in five-spoke, the WRX having 17in seven-spoke and the WRX STi having traditional gold with 10-spoke alloy wheels.

One of the most radical changes for 2006 is that the Impreza WRX and the WRX STi have had their two-litre turbo-charged engines replaced by more powerful 2.5-litre units which produce 230bhp and 281bhp respectively. I think for a long time the non-turbo Impreza’s have been the poor relation of the WRX versions, but my drive in a two- litre non-turbo showed that this is a misconception and a lot of people will be impressed if they take a test drive in the two-litre version.

Occupants and pedestrians are extremely well protected by the latest Impreza, and this is mainly due to a whole series of safety features, including one that is new to me, anti-raindrop door mirrors which stay clearer and enhance visibility. I have never heard door mirrors being promoted as a safety feature before.

The vehicles are generously equipped, standard equipment on the latest two-litre R Sport saloon and five-door includes air conditioning, front foglamps, xenon headlamps with pop-up washers, power steering, electric windows and electric door mirrors. ABS, driver, passenger and side air bags are also incorporated. A radio with CD player is a further feature together with split folding rear seats and remote control central locking and, of course an absolute essential feature on any Subaru, is a category one alarm/immobiliser.

The entry level Impreza, has all of the above features with the exception of the side airbags and the special headlamps. As you would expect, the higher up the specification you go, the trim and equipment does improve slightly, but not dramatically.

From a driving point of view I found the two-litre R to be a superb companion. I expected it to handle and perform well and in that respect it did not fail me.

Albeit my test drive was limited, because in addition to the two-litre, I also had the opportunity to try out the WRX STi. And as you would expect they were almost chalk and cheese, but as a preference I was quite impressed with, shall we call it, the entry level two-litre R. It had more than sufficient performance, its suspension was milder and softer than the harsh WRX version, and it seemed to suit the vehicle superbly.

I was impressed, I enjoyed the vehicle and I think Subaru will be on a winner with the entry level vehicle.

Without doubt Subaru is one of the best kept secrets in the car industry. Once you have become a Subaru convert they tend to have brand loyalty and people stay with them. With 80 dealers already signed up, a projected 100 by the end of this year and 115 in 2006, Subaru is intent on going places.

When you consider Subaru sells twice as many cars in the USA than BMW, then I think it has every reason to be optimistic with UK sales. The target is 11,000 sales of Subarus in 2006. Having achieved just over 9,000 in 2005, these targets should be achievable.

Prices range from £16,200 for the two-litre AWD version up to £26,995 for the top specification WRX Sti.
Old 25 October 2005, 11:04 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marketeing speak, doncha just love it

Originally Posted by Etheridge-Bird
The Impreza has retained the Boxster engine and in fact I cannot see Subaru ever changing from that, its part of its DNA, part of its pedigree and heritage and it will always remain so. In addition, this design enables superb handling. Subaru promotes heavily its stability, its agility, its dynamics and of course its traction.
Aha, so the key to the Impreza is the Porsche engine