Sponsored by:

Head`s a shed, please help...

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2005, 12:57 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head`s a shed, please help...

At the moment, I have a new(ish) MY05 WRX, with PPP fitted, but (stupidly I know) I now want an STi instead.

I can`t stretch to a new one this time around, but I have found a used STi with PPP, on an 03 plate, for £17k. This car is now 2 years 3 months old, but is absolutely mint, and also has 18` Prodrive wheels, FSSH etc, and the deal on mine is acceptable to me.

My question is; Am I mad to pay 17k for a car on its way to 3 years old ?

Last edited by dexter; 20 October 2005 at 01:34 PM.
Old 20 October 2005, 01:03 PM
Dreds
Scooby Newbie

Don't think your mad but keep looking. I paid £16,200 for a 53 plate STI with PPP about a month ago. It has only done 16K. Not got 18" alloys though. People seem to be having real trouble selling them at the moment so it's very much a buyers market.
Old 20 October 2005, 01:07 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

No, not if your happy with the purchase, and satisfied with the quality of the car.

I doubt you could justify it, but hey so what, let the heart rule the head if thats what you want.

What would be stupid would be to buy a 03 plate and then in 6months wish you'd bought a 04 or an 05 plate !!

Rgds
Neil
Old 20 October 2005, 01:08 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

PS It sounds to me that by asking here you are really already in 2 minds about this, are you doing it bacuase its the right car, or because its the right deal ??
Old 20 October 2005, 01:14 PM
homerjay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
At the moment, I have a new(ish) MY05 WRX, with PPP fitted, but (stupidly I know) I now want an STi instead.

I can`t stretch to a new one this time around, but I have found used STi with PPP, on an 03 plate, for £17k. This car is now 2 years 3 months old, but is absolutely mint, and also has 18` Prodrive wheels, FSSH etc, and the deal on mine is acceptable to me.

My question is; Am I mad to pay 17k for a car on its way to 3 years old ?
whats the mileage on the sti mate?
Old 20 October 2005, 01:28 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies gents.

The car has done 17000 miles, and, as I say, the car is mint, so it`s definitely the right car as such.

My only problem is getting my head around going backwards in age, and paying out that sort of money on a car that is, as I say, heading toward 2 1/2 years old.

The car is from a dealer, BTW, and is a UK car.
Old 20 October 2005, 01:44 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by dexter
Thanks for the replies gents.

The car has done 17000 miles, and, as I say, the car is mint, so it`s definitely the right car as such.

My only problem is getting my head around going backwards in age, and paying out that sort of money on a car that is, as I say, heading toward 2 1/2 years old.

The car is from a dealer, BTW, and is a UK car.
Backwards in age, up in spec! It's always the case that you get a newer car with lower spec, or a older car with higher spec.

A 2 and a half year old car with 17000 is nicely run in and -if looked after- will last many years and many, many more miles!

You could probably get a better deal by looking privately, but if you've found the right car and you can aford it then go for it!

NS04
Old 20 October 2005, 01:53 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Backwards in age, up in spec! It's always the case that you get a newer car with lower spec, or a older car with higher spec.

A 2 and a half year old car with 17000 is nicely run in and -if looked after- will last many years and many, many more miles!

You could probably get a better deal by looking privately, but if you've found the right car and you can aford it then go for it!

NS04
Cheers mate.

Your reply makes good sense, but you know what it`s like, although I feel I`ve found the right car, you carry on ringing around just in case there`s a newer one out there for the same money.

And although it is a buyer`s market, because I`m trying to offload mine as well, one cancel`s the other out, unfortunately, and, believe me, ones with PPP on already fitted are in quite short supply, or they are in my area (Northwest) at any rate.

I know you can always travel, but if you start talking above, say, 60 miles, you can invariably get there only to find that the dealer`s idea of "immaculate" is not always the same as your own...................

We`ll see.................................onder2:
Old 20 October 2005, 01:59 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Just to add to this, I can`t believe I didn`t do my homework better when I bought the WRX, it`s just that at the time when I bought it, I`d never had a Scooby before, (although I`ve had loads of other stuff, including big bikes), and then I started coming on here, and just getting more and more into the Scooby thing.

I then had a go in a standard STi, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Now where`s that crystal ball gone to...................................
Old 20 October 2005, 02:35 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dreds
Don't think your mad but keep looking. I paid £16,200 for a 53 plate STI with PPP about a month ago. It has only done 16K. Not got 18" alloys though. People seem to be having real trouble selling them at the moment so it's very much a buyers market.
Dreds, was that at a dealer`s, or a private sale ?