Sponsored by:

Blowoff valves help

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2005, 11:50 PM
WRX Scooby Rob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowoff valves help

I have a blits blowoff valve but want a flutter sound, my mate said that if i take the blowoff valve off and block up the pipes going in to it it would make the sound that i want.

What would happen?

and

would it cause damage to the turbo or any other part of the engin by blocking off the pipes?
Old 19 October 2005, 12:05 AM
WRX Scooby Rob
Scooby Regular

help needed before i drive it to work with no blowoff valve.
Old 19 October 2005, 12:07 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

Well wouldn't start blocking of pipes and defo don't drive on boost with no BOV or OE BOV. bad idea.
Old 19 October 2005, 12:08 AM
MadDogWRX
Scooby Regular

iirc blocking the pipes will cause the turbo to stall, this might give the noise your looking for, but your turbo won`t like it.

I have a HKS bov and I fiddled with the adjustment and I now get that flutter sound. You should be able to acheive the same with the Blitz bov.

Old 19 October 2005, 12:40 AM
AndiThompson
Scooby Regular

Yeah, it'll chatter nicely with no dumpvalve. It'll shorten the life of the turbo a bit, but lots of cars come with no DV as standard, Saabs, Fiesta RS Turbos, and I think cossies too..
Old 19 October 2005, 02:26 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

here we go again....

can we not have a D/V sticky at the top please, this is starting to get a little boring now.

Sorry mate, i know you have posted in a quest for help, but this thread happens all the time now and results in bickering...

have a look at the others, you will sharp see what i mean.

john
Old 19 October 2005, 08:47 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not posting........waste of time

Alcazar
Old 19 October 2005, 09:16 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

want a flutter sound
Why not catch a butterfly in a jar, place a megaphone in the top and away you go flutter flutter flutter how nice...
Old 19 October 2005, 09:21 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

From what i understand of your question i would suggest that the noise a bov makes is the noise it makes. you can alter the sring and it will dump earlier or later. to get the flutter you are on about you need a twin diaphram bov such as the hks ssqv where it has two valves one that flutters and the other releases in one giving a louder more consistent hiss.
Old 19 October 2005, 10:39 AM
madmooro
Scooby Regular

is it not the open waste gate that will give off that type of sound ??
Old 19 October 2005, 11:08 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by madmooro
is it not the open waste gate that will give off that type of sound ??
it may well do i am no expert, but the hks ssqv also gives a flutter as it blows off.
Old 19 October 2005, 11:13 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The flutter is wategate chatter.

If you have a crap or badly adjusted Dump valve, it can induce it - or the DV itself also chatters along with it.

Removing the DV competely will also cause it to happen.

Not healthy for the standard turbo
Old 19 October 2005, 11:18 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Well hes either broken his car, or, he may have acceped that it will break his car....

so is the chatter going to become the next CHAV must have mod????? lol
Old 19 October 2005, 11:19 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

If you set a HKS SSQV to flutter are you not inducing fan stall?

I was told that the SSQV was set for that particular application and to fiddle with the nut on the back might damage the turbo.

Whatever you do don't block it off.

As for the grief your getting, try using the search function first. Theres lots of info already on here and sadly if your new and walk into traps like the "Which/What/How DV" you'll get called all manner of scruffy ner'do well!!

It becoming a drag on SNet.

Last edited by EddScott; 19 October 2005 at 11:22 AM.
Old 19 October 2005, 01:24 PM
VWscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The flutter is wategate chatter.
Wrong, its turbo stall.

Why winge about the amount of time this sort of thread is posted when even after 'reading this sort of thing soooo many times on Snet' you cant even glean information from them *sigh*

BTW I tried blocking off these pipes and the car made no boost. Some DVs make a slight flutter and some can be adjusted to. These cars don't like running without a DV whether it be VTA or re-circ (not starting argument between these two types!)

Last edited by VWscooby; 19 October 2005 at 01:26 PM.
Old 19 October 2005, 06:09 PM
WRX Scooby Rob
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the help, (if u helped) but some of you do not have to post if you dont want so please dont give me a check this, you should do that, you are a chave speech. i dont get on here much and it would be nice to receive a little help with out geting moned at.
Old 19 October 2005, 06:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by WRX Scooby Rob
Thanks for the help, (if u helped) but some of you do not have to post if you dont want so please dont give me a check this, you should do that, you are a chave speech. i dont get on here much and it would be nice to receive a little help with out geting moned at.
You have to pick out the advice from the abuse on here....some folk forget completely to use smilies.

You'll also find the odd post done when the poster has had a drink or two, or a bad day........same as in life really.

What really gets people going though is those who ask a question, then start disputing the answers they get, because they diidn't hear what they wanted to hear.

Present company excepted of course

Alcazar
Old 19 October 2005, 08:41 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VWscooby
Wrong, its turbo stall.
Correct. Lots of people talk of the fabled 'wastegate chatter' as that mysterious 'other noise' that dump valves seem to make noticeable. I'd say it's more of a twittering rather than a chatter, but everyone knows it when they're hear it.

Anyway, I've never heard a wastegate ever 'chatter'. It's only a little metal door, for God's sake. Even if for some reason the wastegate was opening and closing so quickly that it made some kind of high-frequency noise, you'd not hear it when you let off the throttle, which is when you get a 'twitter' on some cars.

The noise is turbo stall (compressor stall) and without a dump valve and a factory airbox you won't hear it at all. It's literally the noise that you get from the trapped boost charge backing up into the turbo and getting 'chopped up' by the compressor wheel which is still spinning, when the throttle plate closes and the boost's got nowhere else to go.

On a car equipped with an atmospheric dump valve, the valve vents not only boost pressure but also sound energy from the induction tract. An open induction kit makes the compressor stall noise even more noticeable. The noise is over in a second, but it starts off loud and high pitched and quickly drops in pitch and volume -exactly as you'd expect because the back pressure and friction on the compressor wheel is slowing it down very quickly.

You'll find that if you allow the DV to only open a little, by a bit of throttle then a half throttle-off, you'll get more of a twitter. Kind of like compensation for not getting a full volume sharp dump hiss. On maximum attack you don't really get twitter at all because the trapped boost is dumped much more quickly and doesn't cause back pressure against the compressor wheel - and that after all, is the job the dump valve's supposed to do.

Hope this helps.