Sponsored by:

MY03 sti knocking noise....

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2005, 11:20 PM
David26
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY03 sti knocking noise....

Is back! Went back to subaru a couple of weeks ago to have everything checked out, said they couldn't find the problem. I mentioned that i thought it was the rear shocks which they checked and said they couldn't find any fault, they had taken the car for a 5 mile test run to see if they could hear the knocking but it didn't happen. When i picked my car up they said when the noise occurs again swing by the garage and they would come out for a drive to have a listen.
So i had a drive around but nothing happened, and i hadn't heard it since... until today! Does the noise come and go if it is the common shock problem? Anything i can do to check whether or not it is the shocks?

Cheers.

David.
Old 13 October 2005, 11:30 PM
Foxmod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David26
Is back! Went back to subaru a couple of weeks ago to have everything checked out, said they couldn't find the problem. I mentioned that i thought it was the rear shocks which they checked and said they couldn't find any fault, they had taken the car for a 5 mile test run to see if they could hear the knocking but it didn't happen. When i picked my car up they said when the noise occurs again swing by the garage and they would come out for a drive to have a listen.
So i had a drive around but nothing happened, and i hadn't heard it since... until today! Does the noise come and go if it is the common shock problem? Anything i can do to check whether or not it is the shocks?

Cheers.

David.
Hi Mate,

Just had my MY03 STi done - have had the rear STRUTS changed it does come and go but it will get worst and worst over time.........

Dave
Old 13 October 2005, 11:33 PM
Scooby-Monster
Scooby Regular

When I had mine last year it was doing exactly the same thing. Top mounts / struts if I remember.

There was a Subaru technical bulletin that was made available to them, so they can find out exactly what to do to sort it if you make enough noise.

I did and didn't have a reoccurrance.

Good luck mate, just push them!
Old 14 October 2005, 07:10 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infamous problem. I found mine worst at low speeds when cornering. Most Subaru garages seem aware of the issue and do the work under warranty (if still covered) with no quibbles.

M
Old 14 October 2005, 07:39 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 STi PPP is goin in 2nd of November for exactly the same thing. Took it in and they went for a quick spin and came back with a resigned look no they're faces, said they'd need it for a couple of days to make sure they got it done right!