Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

white dials on extra gauges - alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2000, 04:29 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having just had the life scared out of me at the price of the HKS white faced dials to put in the standard subaru centre pod (as seen on cheam subaru site), can anyone recommend any half decent alternatives?

Old 27 September 2000, 05:09 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi PT,

Unfortunately most of the top quality japanese gauges has that effect!! The best budget white dials you can get are probably the SW range of gauges from demon tweeks, or the Le mans range of gauges but both of these are only available in 52mm sizes which won't fit in the Subaru pod anyway. With the Subaru pod you are limited to 46mm and AFAIK the HKS gauges are the only ones available in this size. According to a catalogue I have in front of me, the SW electronic gauges seem to look quite good with black surrounds, white faces and red needles. The fitting kits/senders cost extra with these gauges and as a kit the prices are £65.80 for electronic oil press, £50.03 for electronic oil temp and £61.10 for mechanical boost. Being mechanical, the needle on the boost gauge doesn't look like it is illuminated, but rather a painted metal needle. I could be wrong but it certainly doesn't match the needle on the other two gauges perfectly.

The jap gauges are so expensive because they feature vibration damped needles anti-mist screens, peak and or warning lights and some even have 40 sec replay facility in the case of the Defi-link meters. For a set of 3 jap gauges you are looking at around £500 but this includes all senders/wiring as you would expect!!

Regards,
Nito
Old 27 September 2000, 05:41 PM
gavwright
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Take a look at this thread for my comments on the Dutch black-faced gauges....
Old 28 September 2000, 11:10 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

yeah i read the other thread about the dutch gauges, but i really dont want black ones, though saying that, i wonder if anyone else does any black ones that are cheaper than the hks ones..............

p.s. if your trying to cheer me up Nito, you just failed
Perhaps ill be waiting for scoobymanias dash pod after all as i seem to remember mike saying they were 52mm which should increase my alternatives.

[This message has been edited by ptholt (edited 28 September 2000).]
Old 28 September 2000, 02:36 PM
g4vln
Scooby Regular

Pete,
Try Lockwoods Dials,01604 499300, they do all dial kits for UK and Import Imprezas in lots of colours. Watch the needles when fitting as they break.

Rgds
G4vln