Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well now I know for myself.........

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2005, 02:39 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well now I know for myself.........

I recently posted on here enquiring as to the performance of an STi, as compared to a WRX with PPP, and the differences in handling and braking etc, anyway.................today (or should that be yesterday), I found the answers I was looking for, as I was able to drive a MY05 STi from a dealer.

Luckily, the engine was already warm when I got in, as someone else had just been out in it, so I set off, in search of some of my local country roads.

In a nutshell, I found the handling to be a bit "tighter", as I suspected, but nothing to write home about as extra to my MY05 WRX PPP. The braking felt exactly the same, so I`m either good on the brakes already, or I wasn`t braking hard/late enough to fully exploit the Brembos (which is probably the more likely explanation ).

Anyway, the biggest difference I found was not where I expected, and that was in the power. (Reason being that the STi is 265, as you know, and WRX PPP is about 262).

I now know why all you gents out there have bought an STi, because the power, and the delivery, is absolutely S-H-I-T H-O-T ! I bloody loved it. The thing was violent in the first four gears, and revved over the red-line whilst still pulling like mad (I didn`t do this more than twice BTW.) I was also surprised to see that it only had about 2600 miles on the clock, so God only knows what they`re like with 10k or 15k on !

Don`t get me wrong, the WRX with PPP is very quick, has loads of torque, and is probably all you ever need, certainly on the road anyway, but the STi was quicker again, and by more than I expected. I used to ride sports bikes, and this was the nearest thing on four wheels that I`ve experienced, acceleration-wise. It was that good !

So yes, you STi boys, you can sit there laughing your stones off, because you just know I`m thinking "Why, oh why didn`t I get an STi ?"

Just one question BTW, if anyone reading all this crap has stayed awake long enough.........................where is the DCCD switch in the cabin, as I couldn`t find it, and I thought it was operated from within, as you see fit. Correct me if I`m wrong..................
Old 10 October 2005, 07:15 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Was this a JDM or UK dealer Car ? I assume UK as a JDM is about 300+ Bhp out the box.

Imagine what it's like with PPP Normally the DCCD is around bewtween Handbrake and Gear lever. IIRC not sure if it's an Optional extra on some Sti's though, so may not have it fitted.

Tony
Old 10 October 2005, 05:20 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Was this a JDM or UK dealer Car ? I assume UK as a JDM is about 300+ Bhp out the box.

Imagine what it's like with PPP Normally the DCCD is around bewtween Handbrake and Gear lever. IIRC not sure if it's an Optional extra on some Sti's though, so may not have it fitted.

Tony
Cheers Tony.

Yes, it was a UK model, but, as I said, was still rapid, and a definite step-up from the WRX PPP. Maybe it was the six-speed box that made the difference to the power delivery, as 2nd was as extreme in acceleration as 1st, and 3rd wasn`t too shabby either !

BTW, it definitely had no DCCD then, as there was nothing in that area but the electric door mirror switches.

Just need to get me an STi at some point, without losing too much money, too quickly, on mine.
Old 10 October 2005, 05:30 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's horses for courses and each model is excellent for the purpose they are intended for.

Of course for as many people that state the benefits of a UK STi over a UK WRX, as many people again will have another heart attack (and "Why the hell didnt I buy one of these instead") when they test drive a JDM STi over a UK STi.

If you really want that huge difference in driveability.... then look at a JDM version. You will then be smiling all over again!

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 10 October 2005, 05:45 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
It's horses for courses and each model is excellent for the purpose they are intended for.

Of course for as many people that state the benefits of a UK STi over a UK WRX, as many people again will have another heart attack (and "Why the hell didnt I buy one of these instead") when they test drive a JDM STi over a UK STi.

If you really want that huge difference in driveability.... then look at a JDM version. You will then be smiling all over again!

Regards,
Shaun.
Yeah, I know what you mean Shaun.

It`s funny how the Scooby thing gets you, but when I bought the WRX, it was my first taste of the Subaru, and, probably like most of you on here, I`ve become hooked !

I initially started off feeling like the STi was probably not for me, with the huge rear spoiler, and the attention it gets, but the longer I`ve had the WRX, and the more I`ve been on here and got more into the "Scooby scene" as such, I`ve found myself wanting a go of the STi.

Having now done so, I think yes, that I`ve probably bought the wrong one. Don`t get me wrong, I do love the WRX, and with PPP, it`s even better (obviously), but I`ve come from a Civic Type R, where you get used to fighting with the steering here and there, and the suspension`s a bit harder, and the STi just feels more like the "driver`s" alternative, if you like (which is not to say that I think I`m Petter Solberg or anything), but you know what I mean.

I really don`t want to swap the WRX yet, but after yesterday`s driving experience, it`s going to be hard, if not impossible, for me to let it go.

We`ll see...........................

Last edited by dexter; 10 October 2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10 October 2005, 06:08 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some it's natural progression, but above all it's horses for courses. Subaru have managed to do and continue to do, what many manufacturers quite simply havent had the stomach for. In the world of PC..... things have continued to get better for this manufacturer. Something they have started to reap the benefits of (how many Scoobs do you see on the road nowadays, compared to say 5 years ago).

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 10 October 2005, 11:03 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by dexter
without losing too much money, too quickly, on mine.
Theres no chance of that

As Webby says a matter of preference, there is certainly far less worries and cost implication in JDM ownership than was 3+ years ago. My insurance costs were less for a JDM STi than an UK STi with PPP

Which has ment IM have ot make the UK spec'd car "Competitive" against the JDM imported versions IMHO.

I would also say the UKSTi sti needs PPP, you won't regret it.

Tony