Sponsored by:

PPP and induction Kits

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2005, 10:41 AM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPP and induction Kits

I have a 05WRX with PPP, but would like to get a bit more induction noise and loved the Blitz cone filter I had fitted to an earlier Classic..

Are there any problems and will my warrantte be void??
Old 05 October 2005, 11:31 AM
richiewong
Twatful

Any mod usually invalidates the warrenty, also Blitz SUS filters look nice but they could not filter out a housebrick
Old 05 October 2005, 12:02 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

If the engine's getting more air in it may buggerize the fuelling map that Prodrive so lovingly prepared !
Old 05 October 2005, 12:41 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
If the engine's getting more air in it may buggerize the fuelling map that Prodrive so lovingly prepared !
Precisely! The PPP is a bespoke ECU-map for standard car with the other mods provided as part of the PPP (better flowing exhaust and uprated intercooler pipework). If you want to fit an induction kit then you'll need to get the ECU re-mapped around it. Your warranty will be invalidated.

Besides which induction kits really aren't worth the hassle with the exception of high horse power builds. More likely to cause contamination and vibration damage to the MAF sensor, causes unusual MAF readings due to the change in airflow characteristics from the normal airbox (hence the need for a remap), and you suck in hot air from the engine bay not a nice cold air feed like the standard airbox ducting is designed to provide (can be sorted by boxing off the induction kit and providing a cold air feed or getting one of the new type in the wing induction kits e.g. APS). All the above factors can lead to premature engine meltdown if not properly considered
Old 05 October 2005, 01:26 PM
Scott.T
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree will all of the above
Induction kits can cause lean spots and also cause the ECU to run lower on the load scale. Lower on the load scale gives more ignition advance which in turn can lead to detotnation/engine damage.

I have witnessed a map in a WRX show loads of Knock activity when running a Blitz. Running a panel filter gave no such problems.
Old 05 October 2005, 02:18 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Also the increased Inuction noise doesn't doesn't mean it's going better

My mate put a Cold air kit on his MY03STiPPP that previously always pulled well he lost a good 5 seconds a lap at Donnington.

He returned to STD and back on the button far better to use a Green replacement Panel filter. There was an artical on Air filters in SCOOBYMAG and they tried them on a Rolling Road.

Tony
Old 05 October 2005, 02:39 PM
mikepaul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Also the increased Inuction noise doesn't doesn't mean it's going better

My mate put a Cold air kit on his MY03STiPPP that previously always pulled well he lost a good 5 seconds a lap at Donnington.

He returned to STD and back on the button far better to use a Green replacement Panel filter. There was an artical on Air filters in SCOOBYMAG and they tried them on a Rolling Road.

Tony
Is it worth fitting a K&N panel filter?
as this helped my last few cars, 200SX M2 _turbo, Celiica GT, Honda Accord Type-R, in all cases smooths the power and torque curves quite nicely and makes the car a bit quicker, maybe also 2-4bhp gain max, the cars all reved more cleanly. I've thought about indiuction kits in thre past but I'm not sure they work as the engine bay gets very hot in most modern cars.

Last edited by mikepaul; 05 October 2005 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05 October 2005, 02:47 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris Barn
I have a 05WRX with PPP, but would like to get a bit more induction noise and loved the Blitz cone filter I had fitted to an earlier Classic..

Are there any problems and will my warrantte be void??
Had one of those when I owned a MY00 Classic Turbo. After 1 month of having it on, I got less power due to heat soak, and a knackered MAF. If I wasn't eagle eyed enough to spot the slightly erractic Rev counter at idle, then I could of been looking for a new engine.
On the plus side it did make a nice whooshing noise

I have a MY03 STI with PPP, the only thing I was conemplating replacing was the stock filter with an STI one, and thats all.
Old 05 October 2005, 03:16 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mikepaul
Is it worth fitting a K&N panel filter?
as this helped my last few cars,
The "Green" is just nother make Panel filter, and not an Induction Kit scoobymag tried 4-5 different filters on a rolling road in the aid of science I'll try and dig up the Artical.

The problem lies in how restrictive the actual Filter is, even if it's a Panel filter or induction kit. The least resitance will mean the Turbo will spool up quicker effectively producing more Psi at the same RPM. The ECU can try to protect the Engine and run a lower boost MAP. hence yur car going slower than faster. IIRC IMHO

Originally Posted by mikepaul
I've thought about indiuction kits in the past but I'm not sure they work as the engine bay gets very hot in most modern cars.
Yes very Hot, but you can get "Cold air" Kits the Filter is housed in the Drivers wing. remove air box and an extension pipe takes it though the hole in the wing used by the Airbox.

Really should have the Car remapped TEK3 if yor going down Iduction Kit road. IMHO

The main point of PPP is that it is the Only Performance mod you can do to your Subaru and still retain it's Warranty. Why but £2K of PPP to lose Warranty on a £100 part and with dubious Gains IMHO

Tony