Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

wrx to mod or not to mod poll

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2005, 07:28 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrx to mod or not to mod poll

right after spending shead loads on my 02 wrx I keep seen people doing the same - now is it just me or does eveyone who have seriously modded their wrx ( uk spec car ) wish they had just gone for an STI in the first place

- after 2 rides home in second gear after 1) a nut faling off the new downpipe into the stearing joint leaving the car with 10% movment in the stearing wheel 2) a bolt flying out of the manifold leaving me thinking the turbo had gone

det problems from the start - all sorted now but what a serious worry - not worth it

I could get a STI insured for 2/3rds of what i spend on my modded wrx

i wish i had never of started but I love the car

if I got an STI would I mod it? - tdo5 20g here we come

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 03 October 2005 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03 October 2005, 07:49 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the question I reckon that haunts all modded wrx owners ( me included) and gets posted about once every couple of months. If you look at the price of ppp sti's 2nd hand its extremely depressing. The insurance thing as well, seems daft to pay more for less of a car. Oh well, if you've made your bed etc...
Old 03 October 2005, 08:15 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

Rich,

Having spent a substantial amount of money on my MY01 WRX, I often contemplate whether I should have bought an STI or not.

Every time I think about this, I come up with the same answer ..........................NO

My reasons are as follows:

1. I now have a car that I have specced which is a match for most STI's on the road

2. From knowing very little about cars, I still know very little, but can often bluff my way around a conversation about modding scoobs.

3. If I had bought an STI, I would have only wanted to mod that aswell.

4. ........ and most importantly, over the last 4 years of 'playing' with my car, I have had the pleasure to meet and talk with so many knowledgable people, who I now regard as my good friends. You can't put a price on that.

Cheers

Martin
Old 03 October 2005, 09:35 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Ninnybobs you have a point in that I know loads about scoobs now and how the engine works, which I probably would never have learnt if I had skinted myself initially and gone sti. You've got to admit though its a bit depressing that you can spend thousands on your pride and joy which gives you a lot of pleasure, but makes it plummet in value at the same time. Car does become a great hobby as well as transport.
Old 03 October 2005, 09:38 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

I totaly agree but I could have bought an import STI and had it at 300 bhp for what I have spent on the wrx

Last edited by WRX_Rich; 03 October 2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03 October 2005, 09:50 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by WRX_Rich
if I got an STI would I mod it?
Yes the MY02STiUK being Lardy and Laggy lacked Torque and short gearing (6th sp box) ment on the road you were hardly ever at the Rev or right gear PPP certainly enhanced it which I think you apprieciated in the little drive I took on one Sunday meet

The JDM models the Overhaul package was very good but still beckons a sports Cat and a Remap get used to it, we a re never happy with our lot untill we use a hire Car

Tony
Old 03 October 2005, 09:54 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Yes : untill we use a hire Car

Tony
yup thats ford doing dacning donuts on the grass at the last bbq did look fun
Old 03 October 2005, 10:28 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I did think that a couple of weeks ago, and was thinking of selling my 04 WRX and getting a STi, but then I would only get about £12k for my WRX which has 17k miles on the clock and in pretty good condition, If I went for a Sti i would be looking at paying £17k for a decent one, I would still have to put £5k extra for a Sti which I would probably end up spending a load of money on anyway.

So the best thing I can do is spend the £5k I intended to spend on a STi and make my WRX faster with better brakes and better suspension then a STi, The only thing is the STi would probably have a stronger platform to modify on, But who cares im stuck with my WRX for the mean time.
Old 03 October 2005, 10:34 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

I am quite happy with the 'basic' WRX. STi's are not such good day to day cars in my opinion. They have harder suspension, drink even more fuel, have a peaky power band etc...

Whilst an STi is ofcourse the faster car, I like the fact that a WRX could match it quite easily with a few relatively affordable mods, whilst retaining the characteristics that make it a better day to day car.

If your going to heavily modify the car then it doesn't really matter which one you start with, as why spend more on an STi if most of the extra stuff is going to be replaced with uprated parts as would be on the WRX anyway.
Old 03 October 2005, 11:07 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich

I have had a whale of a time modding my MY02 EU import Bugeye..........Met loads of really nice people.........oh !! and the car looks and goes like stink

Midlife.....
Old 03 October 2005, 11:57 PM
Scooby Brother
Scooby Regular

Well i spent a mint on my bugeye WRX then flogged it for a new STI.

Turning the bugeye into something that would give an evo a good run woz fun but decided to change and see wot could be done with a new STi. After running it in for a 1000 mile I sacked the warranty and started modding. Well this is turning out to be loads of fun too thanks to several trips to Bob Rawle for a Ecutek remap which he has fine tuned now on several occasions and the car is flying. Only problem is i'm going up and down the 6 speed box like a nutter and the extra power is knocking my clutch around terrible.

Loadsa of fun tho and met many good friends on the way

SB
Old 04 October 2005, 09:53 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyboy1
I did think that a couple of weeks ago, and was thinking of selling my 04 WRX and getting a STi, but then I would only get about £12k for my WRX which has 17k miles on the clock and in pretty good condition, If I went for a Sti i would be looking at paying £17k for a decent one, I would still have to put £5k extra for a Sti which I would probably end up spending a load of money on anyway.

So the best thing I can do is spend the £5k I intended to spend on a STi and make my WRX faster with better brakes and better suspension then a STi, The only thing is the STi would probably have a stronger platform to modify on, But who cares im stuck with my WRX for the mean time.

Yep..wot he said
Old 04 October 2005, 10:31 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

right after spending shead loads on my 02 wrx I keep seen people doing the same - now is it just me or does eveyone who have seriously modded their wrx ( uk spec car ) wish they had just gone for an STI in the first place

- after 2 rides home in second gear after 1) a nut faling off the new downpipe into the stearing joint leaving the car with 10% movment in the stearing wheel 2) a bolt flying out of the manifold leaving me thinking the turbo had gone

det problems from the start - all sorted now but what a serious worry - not worth it

I could get a STI insured for 2/3rds of what i spend on my modded wrx

i wish i had never of started but I love the car

if I got an STI would I mod it? - tdo5 20g here we come
The reason I won't get an STI is the silly gold wheels and the stupid great spoiler (I expect I'm probably on my own on this one)!
Old 04 October 2005, 11:17 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
The reason I won't get an STI is the silly gold wheels and the stupid great spoiler (I expect I'm probably on my own on this one)!
That's why I got an 05STI+PPP then put 18"PFF's in bright flitter on it and changed the spoiler for a WRX one - lookin good and driving nice
Old 04 October 2005, 11:32 AM
thanuk
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Martin2005
I had the same thought - spraying the wheels graphite and fitting a base-model boot lid without spoiler (retaining original for resale) would do the trick.

It doesn't solve the problem of the constantly jiggly ride though.
Old 04 October 2005, 04:29 PM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

yup thats ford doing dacning donuts on the grass at the last bbq did look fun
Glad you liked it I seem to remember you were impressed with the little Blast to the Holt Fleet Pub a nice little suprise was the bridge Closed off with concrete Barriers

Also a missing with the WRX is the Suretrac Front Diff, it certainly makes a vast difference especially in the Wet. Ask FIZZ about the difference between my STi and his WRX grip at Bedford Autodrome

Tony
Old 04 October 2005, 07:28 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

Rich I think you need to put up a few pics of your car up with spec to get some perspective on this. You've spent a lot but it's well beyond STi spec in many departments. Sure you could of got an STi and be insuring an STi for less but then your WRX is a notch up from an STi and unique.
Old 04 October 2005, 07:59 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

i also give the vote, NO. i like the fact that my WRX can beat 90% of STis....
Old 04 October 2005, 11:16 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Neilo

*cough* Nitrous *cough* .......... shouldn't that be 100% Sti's LOL

Shaun
Old 05 October 2005, 05:19 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Rich I think you need to put up a few pics of your car up with spec to get some perspective on this. You've spent a lot but it's well beyond STi spec in many departments. Sure you could of got an STi and be insuring an STi for less but then your WRX is a notch up from an STi and unique.

yup its faster than most STI'S but when I got the wrx it was 27k for a std STI now I have seen adverts for a STI for 20k (import)

don't get me wrong guys I love the car and wouldn't swap for any STI but I would never advise any one to do the same

looks like a few agree but its still close which shocked me somewhat

come on guys, be interesting to see the end result
Old 09 October 2005, 06:08 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

any more for any more
Old 09 October 2005, 11:26 PM
Ben WRX Bug-Eye
Scooby Regular

There must be more opinions on this?

I am about to start the next phase of a fairly expensive modding process with my WRX. If I am better off not bothering and saving for an STi instead then i'd like to know.
Old 09 October 2005, 11:38 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Looks very tasty. Out of interest what kind of bhp and torque is it putting out?
Old 09 October 2005, 11:39 PM
alanbell
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ben Keep what you have, Martin (Ninnybobs) has a wrx bugeye and thats well sorted, I have a V7 sti jdm (allso very well sorted) Both of us today on track >> Melboune, got very near times, ??? Once you go to modding >> were do you stop , What ever Subaru you get If your into modding You will mod it I did , What ever way you go good luck, Alan.
Old 10 October 2005, 10:25 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Personally I'd keep the WRX as the bodyshell is the same as the STi and most other things can be changed .....LOL

Take a look at "oldfella" on the Hull Scoobs website...Bugeye MY01 WRX with 450 plus ...errrr plus some more BHP !!!

Midlife.....
Old 10 October 2005, 11:39 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

ok ok if I was after 450 + a wrx would be cheaper but a good reliable 400 400 would be best to buy a STI

I think my problem is any more that the 320 bhp 320 lbs means a change in gear box ( if you listern to the popular tunners) and not soon after a change in pistons

i think 4k ish would buys a a 400bhp but an STI would go 400 bhp at little cost............................... I think I am just annoyed the next step will cost me a big argumnet with the missus

and yes I do love the car