Dump Valve or Not!?

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2005, 01:28 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dump Valve or Not!?

Hi,

I've read mixed reviews on dump valves, some implying their good to reduce turbo lag etc and others saying over a couple of years they actually put more stress on the turbo??

I've just bought a 2001 WRX and i'm wondering whether it is something i should consider? If yes is there any specific valves which are better than others.. i also don't want anything which is loud as i don't want a 2f2f effort...

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 02 October 2005, 01:29 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Not !

Hope this helps

Simon
Old 02 October 2005, 01:38 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Not!

Go to the members gallery, and download the driving clips of imprezas zooming around the track (think its about the 4th link down). Listen to the one with the dump valve. Could you really cope with tha on your daily drive?

Oh, btw, Impreza's already have an OE recirc dump valve that is meant to be better than the VTA stuff you were thinking about.
Old 02 October 2005, 01:40 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A good quality aftermarket re-circ dump valve may help a little as the OEM kit isnt as fast acting as it could be; but on a New Age car youve got SO MUCH other stuff that you need to improve before that becomes relevant.....

Simon
Old 02 October 2005, 01:57 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

A dump-valve is a must on a Scooby!

Its all part of the image - youre in town on a Saturday night and first you hear distant bass thumping - it gets louder, then you hear the flat-four burbling away, then a loud "chirrrrp" - then the Scoob shoots by at about 90 in a 30 limit in a blur of neon-washer jets and baseball caps!!!

Last edited by Petem95; 02 October 2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02 October 2005, 02:46 PM
petesharpe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
A dump-valve is a must on a Scooby!

Its all part of the image - youre in town on a Saturday night and first you hear distant bass thumping - it gets louder, then you hear the flat-four burbling away, then a loud "chirrrrp" - then the Scoob shoots by at about 90 in a 30 limit in a blur of neon-washer jets and baseball caps!!!
Yeah and if you drive like this, all the chavs in there nova's come over and talk to you and you become one of them! Keep the scooby image!!!! every1 sees a scoobie and knows its fast, and if you want a dump valve, buy a PUNTO turbo to go with it! They suit each other!
Old 02 October 2005, 04:28 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

As above.

A VTA dumper will do nothing except make you look like a tw@t. I cringe every time I see/hear an Impreza fitted with a comedy dump valve. They're the aural equivalent of neon underlights, fake carbon etc, etc, etc.

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2005, 04:35 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

you already have a very good dv fitted

if you want to make some funny noises waterstones music shop have some trumpets on offer
Old 02 October 2005, 04:41 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Failing that, if you fit an induction kit, you can hear the r/c d/v which is nice but no too loud.

Not sure if its wise though on your year of car due to MAF

Cookie
Old 02 October 2005, 04:59 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

LOL loads of useful information-packed replies as usual...anyway,

An atmospheric DV is pointless on a Scooby running a normal ECU and MAF sensor - if you dump the charge out it messes up the ECU's air calculations.

I'm not sure of the flow characteristics of the standard factory DV, which is a recirculating one, and I'd imagine they change from year to year. But one thing's probably for sure - if you're bent on replacing the factory DV, a decent quality recirculating DV made by people who build DVs for a living (i.e. Bailey, Forge etc) wouldn't harm anything but your wallet. The benefits would be greater long term reliability, especially if you're planning big boost sometime in the future AND the capability to dump 'trapped' boost round the circuit quicker and in greater volumes. This might give a marginal increase in compressor life and slightly sharper throttle response when you're really pedalling it.

So all in all, if you've got the money, why not? Just make sure it's recirculating and you can't go wrong.
Old 03 October 2005, 02:24 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Failing that, if you fit an induction kit, you can hear the r/c d/v which is nice but no too loud.
Agreed, this does sound good!
Old 03 October 2005, 02:33 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Talking

as far as i know the only reason people buy dump valves is because they WANT people to know they're a bell-end.

everyone knows scoobies are fast, as long as you can drive a standard wrx will beat most stuff around.

if you use your car for serious driving a dump valve will annoy you after a while, if you want all the chavs on southend seafront to be jealous, then get it!

IMHO
Old 30 October 2005, 06:19 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
as far as i know the only reason people buy dump valves is because they WANT people to know they're a bell-end.

everyone knows scoobies are fast, as long as you can drive a standard wrx will beat most stuff around.

if you use your car for serious driving a dump valve will annoy you after a while, if you want all the chavs on southend seafront to be jealous, then get it!

IMHO
LMAO
It's horses for courses. Some older turbocharged cars don't have dump valves as standard so they are a useful mod and as a 'serious driver' who used to drive one such car with a turbo conversion, it wasn't annoying at all, whether on the road or round the 'Ring. You just get used to it, just like you get used to changing gear. But a loud dump valve WILL make all the chavs at Southend jealous, you're right there LOL

On a Scoob which already has a recirculating DV as standard, a replacement one is not exactly top of the list of 'things to do' when it's in otherwise standardish tune.
Old 30 October 2005, 06:51 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Originally Posted by Nick Read
On a Scoob which already has a recirculating DV as standard, a replacement one is not exactly top of the list of 'things to do' when it's in otherwise standardish tune.
Totally agree,there are stickers,flamer kits,LOUD zorsts,pretend roof vents and fancy rear lights to consider first
Old 30 October 2005, 07:51 PM
jtabraham
Scooby Regular

So, what happens when you have an enclosed induction kit, larger turbo, fmic and a recirc dump valve? I think I must be a bit of a chav as my cars recirc dv is louder than most vtas and as for the induction noise and wastegate noise well............
I thought the dumpvalve was a personal taste thing? Same as everyone with the big exhausts.
Lets not pretend we all by scoobys as a practical family motor. Most people buy them for image and driver appeal.
I have had vtas on most of my cars, r5 gtts, cosworths, t-5, and the scooby.
Oh and I have lots of carbon fibre.
Maybe I should grow up?
No, I think i'll just carry on enjoying my car.
Old 30 October 2005, 08:34 PM
PeterUK300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jtabraham
So, what happens when you have an enclosed induction kit, larger turbo, fmic and a recirc dump valve? I think I must be a bit of a chav as my cars recirc dv is louder than most vtas and as for the induction noise and wastegate noise well............
I thought the dumpvalve was a personal taste thing? Same as everyone with the big exhausts.
Lets not pretend we all by scoobys as a practical family motor. Most people buy them for image and driver appeal.
I have had vtas on most of my cars, r5 gtts, cosworths, t-5, and the scooby.
Oh and I have lots of carbon fibre.
Maybe I should grow up?
No, I think i'll just carry on enjoying my car.
WELL SAID THAT MAN

It is personal taste just as having dustbin size exhausts that rattle house windows is.....

Oh and I do have a VTA, Large exhaust and Carbon....... No Burberry or neons yet though

Why on this site do people seem hell bent on slagging off is beyond me.
What happened to the commiunity spirit on here. When did the purists take over
Old 30 October 2005, 09:20 PM
scooby dancer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeterUK300
WELL SAID THAT MAN

It is personal taste just as having dustbin size exhausts that rattle house windows is.....

Oh and I do have a VTA, Large exhaust and Carbon....... No Burberry or neons yet though

Why on this site do people seem hell bent on slagging off is beyond me.
What happened to the commiunity spirit on here. When did the purists take over
dispite its chav ness i have a baily one becuase i have a fmic and on mesuring intake temps were better if air dumped then fresh air taken but also a97uk with vf22 18g front entry 17psi boost (dont stick around long enough to be deemed as chav) but realy this debate will go on and on and ..............
Old 30 October 2005, 09:25 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

NOT!!!!!

Originally Posted by chris_c201
Hi,

I've read mixed reviews on dump valves, some implying their good to reduce turbo lag etc and others saying over a couple of years they actually put more stress on the turbo??

I've just bought a 2001 WRX and i'm wondering whether it is something i should consider? If yes is there any specific valves which are better than others.. i also don't want anything which is loud as i don't want a 2f2f effort...

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 30 October 2005, 09:47 PM
marcymarc555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Get one on mate.
Old 31 October 2005, 09:16 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Wow, who would have thought such a little thing woulda caused so much debate!!

TBH i'll not bother for the time being as i have plenty of other mods i would rather spend my money on, i can see why some people think their naff but at the end of the day its each to their own!!
Old 31 October 2005, 09:23 AM
Adz Turbo
Scooby Regular

I think that Subaru put that one on the car for a reason, if anyone knows wots best for the car its them!

Adz
Old 31 October 2005, 11:56 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adz Turbo
I think that Subaru put that one on the car for a reason, if anyone knows wots best for the car its them!

Adz
So your car is standard then? onder2:
I know mine is modified and it's better than the original Subaru came up with
Old 31 October 2005, 12:29 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

oh i hate dump valve threads, just buy the damn dumpvalve-stick it on-wooosh all the way, happy days
Old 31 October 2005, 12:34 PM
Adz Turbo
Scooby Regular

Yeah its standard!
Ive gone through my days of playing with cars!

But i would like to put a different zorst on my car just to give it that bigger rumble!

Last edited by Adz Turbo; 31 October 2005 at 12:43 PM.
Old 31 October 2005, 12:36 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

dont get one - best mod i dd was put my standard one back on!!
Old 31 October 2005, 12:44 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stephen Pope
dont get one - best mod i dd was put my standard one back on!!
this whole car thing is a trial and error type situation man,some lads hate them,some lads love em,and u know u want to put a dumpvalve on and you're probably gonna do it so just go and do it!
Old 31 October 2005, 12:44 PM
ImprezaRob
Scooby Regular

These dump valve threads are soooooooooooooooo boring now!!!
Old 31 October 2005, 01:32 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

I agree!!

Apologies for starting it...
Old 27 December 2005, 09:37 PM
wide
Scooby Regular

Sorry to re-vamp an old thread, but went to watch a good old rally day at Pembrey today. If dump valves are so bad and chav why do all the rallying scoobs seem to have them???
Old 27 December 2005, 09:46 PM
4x4chris
Scooby Regular

from what i have been reading people have been saying that you probably cant hear an OE recirc DV without an induction kit...
... so what is that noise i hear on my 93 WRX when i lift off the throttle after its been boosting?
is that the DV? or is that just wastegate 'chatter' ?
have i even got a DV on a car this early?!?!!?

chris

Quick Reply: Dump Valve or Not!?