Sponsored by:

Prodrive

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2005, 06:41 PM
Mjb1957
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prodrive

Can anyone tell me what are the Pro's and Con's of having the Prodrive put on my WRX impreza 2005. I know it will increase my horsepower by 40hp , is there anything else I should be aware of .

Thanks
Old 01 October 2005, 07:01 PM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

cost, and thinking afterwards could I get something better for less money....
Old 01 October 2005, 07:18 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Pros;

Doesn't affect your warranty.
Recognised by most insurance companies.
Increases value of car.
Decent increase in power & torque.
Development & extensive testing done by Prodrive.

You could get something similar for cheaper from plenty of reputable places and it would give a bit more power but;

Your warranty is gone.
It doesn't necessarily increase the value & may put buyers off.
It can make it difficult to insure.
You will probably be advised to get a knocklink and gauges to ensure it is all working ok in all conditions.

All IMHO of course.

Darren
Old 01 October 2005, 07:31 PM
Mjb1957
Scooby Regular

Default prodrive

Hello ,

Do you recommend me having the prodrive fitted to my wrx?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Daz34
Pros;

Doesn't affect your warranty.
Recognised by most insurance companies.
Increases value of car.
Decent increase in power & torque.
Development & extensive testing done by Prodrive.

You could get something similar for cheaper from plenty of reputable places and it would give a bit more power but;

Your warranty is gone.
It doesn't necessarily increase the value & may put buyers off.
It can make it difficult to insure.
You will probably be advised to get a knocklink and gauges to ensure it is all working ok in all conditions.

All IMHO of course.

Darren
Old 01 October 2005, 07:36 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Id recommened it, although as already said, you might want to see what other options there are. If you want to keep your warranty though its your only choice.
Old 01 October 2005, 07:39 PM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

I had a prodrive on my 05 wrx, most of the points above I would agree with except the insurance. It is still difficult to insure a Prodrive WRX, get quotes first, you are lumbered with the Max Power guys and most iinsurers don't give a stuff if it is a Prodrive re-map and Exhaust or one bought of Ebay!!!

The other problem is further mods.. I have lowered mine but the gargae still warrrantted the rear struts I had replaced (due to knocking), but I doubt they would like an induction kit being fitted (which I would like) and I also want MORE POWER now, so buy buy £1600 for Prodrive kit and warranttee.

Think it through carefully and drive a Prodrive WRX first..
Old 02 October 2005, 02:53 AM
dexter
Scooby Regular

Mjb............I can rewind to your "dilemma" by about 3 months, as I came on here asking all the guys exactly the same questions, not long after I`d bought my new UK WRX.

All I can say mate, is do yourself a big favour and get it done !

I fully admit, there are many on here who are driving modded STi`s and classics, that will probably think that there is nothing too remarkable in the added PPP 40 bhp, and as I am totally new to Scoobs, who am I to argue, as some of these guys have been driving Scoobs for years (and I`m not trying to take the p1ss here BTW), but what I can tell you is that it will make a major difference to the torque/power delivery on your 05 WRX.

And again, everyone`s different and some would disagree, but the added sound with PPP is just perfect (or it is for me anyway). Not too intrusive so that it frightens young children etc. ( ), but just enough to release the flat-four burble.

You`ll have no doubt guessed by now that I`m impressed with mine, so the only other thing I can say is: Do it !

Trending Topics

Old 02 October 2005, 07:45 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Mjb1957
Can anyone tell me what are the Pro's and Con's of having the Prodrive put on my WRX impreza 2005. I know it will increase my horsepower by 40hp , is there anything else I should be aware of .

Thanks
Dont get too hung up on the headline power and performance figures mate, a 0-60 in 4.8 etc.. is very impressive, but in real world driving there is more to the PPP than that. If anything the main perk is the way it extends the power and torque over a wider rev range making the car a lot more flexible for overtaking etc... The added torque also give you more of the nice shove in the back that make turbo cars so appealing.

If you want your warranty its the only option. There are better value for money solutions out there, but are are sufficiently better as to justify loosing warranty on the car IMHO. You can always modify more/differently when your warranty has run out.

NS04
Old 02 October 2005, 07:54 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Is it not a better option, if your after a more "drivable" car, to have an ecu remap instead?
When I was having mine done by Bob Rawle last year, the guy infront of me was having his wifes bog standard my03 wrx mapped, much to our amusement, as he wasn't going to tell her! He came back grinning like a cat after the map, and said how it'd really let loose the horses choked up in the standard system.
Bit cheaper than the prodrive route too, but would the garage know when you went for a service?

chris.
Old 03 October 2005, 11:51 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by cw42
Is it not a better option, if your after a more "drivable" car, to have an ecu remap instead?
When I was having mine done by Bob Rawle last year, the guy infront of me was having his wifes bog standard my03 wrx mapped, much to our amusement, as he wasn't going to tell her! He came back grinning like a cat after the map, and said how it'd really let loose the horses choked up in the standard system.
Bit cheaper than the prodrive route too, but would the garage know when you went for a service?

chris.
Certainly would if they drove it Chris!!

NS04
Old 03 October 2005, 02:45 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cw42

chris.
So would Subaru UK if the engine happened to "go bang".

All engine related claims under warranty are now inspected from what I know.

Shaun
Old 03 October 2005, 03:14 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by urban
So would Subaru UK if the engine happened to "go bang".

All engine related claims under warranty are now inspected from what I know.

Shaun
I would imagine the only sensible course of action would be to assume that if anything were to go wrong the remap would be discovered, and you'd be on your own financially speaking!

NS04
Old 03 October 2005, 04:01 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

i would guess that if your engine blew up, you have full subaru SH, and your car looks completely standard you would *probably* get away with it.

any more than a K&N though, and they'd probably start checking for other mods.

custom paint/ graphics/ bodykit etc and you'd have the usual "two Hope's" of getting away with it (one of them's Bob)

Last edited by DonnieDarko; 03 October 2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03 October 2005, 04:26 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that guys
chris.