New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2005, 10:31 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner

Hi Folks...

Previously posted a couple of questions when initially contemplating a scoob and i'm now the proud owner of a 2001 "Bug-Eye" WRX....

As such i have a few questions -

1 - It has Gold Alloys which ain't my cup of tea (no offence to anyone that likes them!) and i was wondering if you can get these "powder coated" or something, sure i read it before... If so roughly how much would this cost.

2 - The beep when you are arming / dis-arming alarm, can you turn this off??

3 - Head-unit, with it being a double DIN unit (it also looks really narrow) i was wondering how difficult it is to change.... anyone got any pics of a straight installation of a singe DIN unit??

Any hints / tips appreciated!!

Thanks
Chris.
Old 01 October 2005, 09:31 AM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Hi Chris,
I'll skip the wheel recommendations' cos that's not my area, but you can turn the alarm systems arm/disarm bleeps off - I'm presuming it's a UK car with the standard fit Cat 1.
The alarm system would originally have been supplied with the bleeps turned off to conform with EU legislation, so I guess a previous owner chose to turn them on.

Turning the arm/disarm bleeps off. To do this you will need to use the alarm system's keypad, located in the compartment above the driver's right knee.
- Arm and then Disarm the system using a working Radio Key.
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad: *17856*00*0#
- Arm the system with the Radio Key
- The arm/disarm bleeps should now be turned off.

PIN code. If you have recently purchased the vehicle, then you may or may not have been given a 4-digit PIN code that can be used to disarm (& arm) the system in the event of the Radio Keys becoming lost or damaged.
You may be as well checking that this PIN is infact the correct number before you need it. If not, or if you would like to change the PIN number to one of your own choosing, you can do this yourself - again using the keypad, provided that you can disarm the system with a working Radio Key

- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*92*wxyz*wxyz# (where wxyz is your new PIN code)
- You should now be able to disarm the system using the new PIN code

When using the keypad always observe the following points:
- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.
- If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be abborted and started again after 30 seconds.
- Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.
- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a security feature to prevent random PIN attempts disarming the system.

Further Instructions on the security system can be found in the Operating Instructions. If you do not have these, a link to a copy can be found in the post at::
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...pic.php?t=2476

Radio. The double DIN unit is easy to remove and can be replaced with a conventional single DIN unit, although you will need a blanking plate or storage tray to fill the resulting hole - either above or below. These are readily available from Halfords etc and usually offer extra storage space for CDs etc.

Hope this helps.
SS
Old 01 October 2005, 11:09 AM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sigma Sam
Hi Chris,

Hope this helps.
SS
Sigma Sam,

Thanks for this.... much appreciated!!

Chris.
Old 01 October 2005, 03:47 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by chris_c201
Hi Folks...

Previously posted a couple of questions when initially contemplating a scoob and i'm now the proud owner of a 2001 "Bug-Eye" WRX....

As such i have a few questions -

1 - It has Gold Alloys which ain't my cup of tea (no offence to anyone that likes them!) and i was wondering if you can get these "powder coated" or something, sure i read it before... If so roughly how much would this cost.
Welcome!

As an owner of a DBM classic with Gold wheels I have to say I'm offended!

Yes, you can get the wheels powder coated to a different colour. There have been a few posts on here about it, use the search feature for recommendations. You could also try getting in touch with Little knocks www.littleknocks.co.uk If they can't do it ( they do repair alloys) I'm sure they'll know where you can get it done.

Regards,

NS04
Old 01 October 2005, 04:52 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chris_c201
Hi Folks...
3 - Head-unit, with it being a double DIN unit (it also looks really narrow) i was wondering how difficult it is to change.... anyone got any pics of a straight installation of a singe DIN unit??
Like this, available from your friendly subaru dealer.

Enjoy your new car!

dipster
Old 01 October 2005, 07:19 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dave,

Looks exactly what i'm looking for.....

Cheers for the info on the wheels (NS04), anyone had it done and how long did it take??

Last question (for now) - What grade of oil should you use in a 2001 WRX, the hand book was a bit confusing but i think it implied 5-30... is that right? I'm hoping it is as a i have 5 litres left over from my RX8 which used about 1 litre of 5-30 a month....

Cheers,
Chris.

Originally Posted by davedipster
Like this, available from your friendly subaru dealer.

Enjoy your new car!

dipster
Old 01 October 2005, 07:28 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

the wheels cost about 50 quid each to re colour
if its a good place they will lend you some temp wheels for a couple of days while they work on yours

Trending Topics

Old 01 October 2005, 07:57 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I bought Magnatec 5w-30 semi-synthetic thinking it was the correct oil for the car but Subaru told me I should be using 10w-40 semi instead.....something about it being too thin, I think.

Welcome fellow 2001 bugeye WRX owner
Old 02 October 2005, 11:40 AM
jdman79
Scooby Regular

Default Gold Wheels Eh?

Hi, I just noticed your post and wondered whether you would consider swapping your Gold wheels for my Silver ones?

I have a 2003 WRX with the usual Subaru 17" silver rims.

If you are interested, where are you located?

Also, just to let you know, both of the front wheels have been curbed slightly (by previous owner) but its not that noticiable.

Cheers

Jamie
Old 02 October 2005, 12:10 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

so is it possible to make the alarm system on a 2005 model beep the???

John
Old 02 October 2005, 12:52 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
I bought Magnatec 5w-30 semi-synthetic thinking it was the correct oil for the car but Subaru told me I should be using 10w-40 semi instead.....something about it being too thin, I think.

Welcome fellow 2001 bugeye WRX owner
use 15w 40 fully synthetic man
Old 02 October 2005, 01:16 PM
chris_c201
Scooby Regular

JDM, you have PM.

As for the oil i'm confused now, i have GTX Magnatec 5-30 semi.... can i use this.... if not should i be looking at 15-40 or 10-40 etc etc.......

Thanks
Chris.

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
use 15w 40 fully synthetic man
Old 02 October 2005, 01:23 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION

John
Yes

Just check the instructions it came with as its the same sort of theing as the previous instructions
Old 02 October 2005, 01:34 PM
zakk
Scooby Regular

S1GMA SAM!!!

1 wonder 1f you can help. 1 had my facelft 97 broken 1nto, the barrrel was smashed and taken along w1th the rec1ever for the 1mmob1l1ser, can you tell me 1f 1gn1ton barrels from d1fferent model years or even dfferent cars would f1t m1ne and 1f so wh1ch 0nes? what 1 want to do 1s reprogramme the new rec1ever to my old transponder and to the car.

please tell me 1s ths poss1ble? and yes 1 tr1ed the dealers and am not w1ll1ng to pay 500+ qu1d

sorry to trouble you

p.s empty your pm box!
Old 02 October 2005, 07:10 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by zakk
S1GMA SAM!!!

1 wonder 1f you can help. 1 had my facelft 97 broken 1nto, the barrrel was smashed and taken along w1th the rec1ever for the 1mmob1l1ser, can you tell me 1f 1gn1ton barrels from d1fferent model years or even dfferent cars would f1t m1ne and 1f so wh1ch 0nes? what 1 want to do 1s reprogramme the new rec1ever to my old transponder and to the car.

please tell me 1s ths poss1ble? and yes 1 tr1ed the dealers and am not w1ll1ng to pay 500+ qu1d

sorry to trouble you

p.s empty your pm box!
Hi Zakk,

PM box emptied....sorry about that!
I had seen your post elsewhere about the factory immobiliser on your car, but we only started working with Subaru on the 99 MY onward, so I'm not familiar with the '97 and can't give you a definative answer.
However, if pushed, I would suspect that if the column cowls are the same on the 97 and 98 (ie no dashboard re-style) then I would guess that the transponder receiver around the barrel will be the same and the 98 one should just plug into the vehicles harness. Again, if there if your dash is the same as the 99 and 00, then I would guess these barrels and receivers should also be interchangeable from sports and 2000 turbos
I dont expect you will have to do anything other than simply connect the receiver, however the "new" ignition key/s will need to be programmed to the ECU. Unfortunately, this programming will need to be a dealer job I imagine.
Best of luck,
SS
Old 02 October 2005, 07:12 PM
Sigma Sam
BANNED

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION

John
The alarm system is originally supplied with the bleeps turned off to conform with EU legislation, but they can be turned on if you wish.

Turning the arm/disarm bleeps on. To do this you will need to use the alarm system's keypad, located in the compartment above the driver's right knee.
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad: *17856*00*1#
- The arm/disarm bleeps should now be turned on.

SS