ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

££££'s vs Power Output

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2005, 11:12 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ££££'s vs Power Output

Just thought it would be interesting to see if big power gains have been made on a budget and if lot's of £££££'s actually means more power.

My MY95 UK has at a rough guess had approx £5k spent on it of which £1.5k was an engine re-build (yes I blew it up ) & about another £1.5k was on aesthetics. So with about £2k worth of engine, exhaust, induction, electronics etc... mods it'll putting out at a guess 340BHP and 300lb/ft after the final re-map on Friday. I'll have a better idea in a couple of weeks after the rolling road but before the FMIC, FPR, Megan Headers, Apexi PFC & AVC-R it was 297BHP & 265lb/ft.

What about the rest of you as i've heard stories of £40k upwards being spent on mods? Is it really worth it or would a mint Skyline R34 V-spec parked on the drive (with change!!) be nicer?

MAFFA
Old 29 September 2005, 10:45 AM
joedesi
Scooby Regular

One day, my friend you will realise it is far more economical to buy a scoob that someone has been silly enough to spend sh$t loads and modify. As long as it has all receipts and done by a reputable company then it is usually a safe buy. Thats the way to get best power for money.

After everything ur spending on ur car, itll not be worth much more than a standard one...the buyer will be laughing.

ps. thinking of selling ur car any time soon
Old 29 September 2005, 11:23 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've spent a few grand on my car but nothing major - mild engine stuff, brakes and cosmetics etc.

However, I've been thinking about buying more bits for it - bigger turbo and intercooler to get it to 300HP, STI rear wing (mines an MY00 UK turbo) and other bits and bobs.

As it is I could probably get about £7-7.5K for it. I worked out I want to spend about another 4K on it go get it how I want it.

The Classic Impreza I really really want is a Sonic Blue STI Type RA 6 - the one with the roof vent and the nice blue seats etc. These seem to be going for about £10-£11K. I may as well save the 4K and sell my car and buy the STI.

My reasons for being unsure about this course of action is that A) the insurance will be much higher but then with all the mods declared it might be comparable to an standard ish STI. STI engines seem to blow up alot without proper fuel or remap whereas my UK turbo even with a VF28 and V8 TMIC isn't likely to blow up anytime soon (unless really unlucky) And finally fuel consumption will be alot higher compared to the UK car even with suggested mods above.

Bugeye STIs or even P1s are getting into the 12K bracket which might be possible for me with £7K for mine and the other 5K scraped up somewhere. At least then a P1 is a UK car with UK insurance (even though an alarming amount of them seem to be letting go recently)

Might just leave my car as it is and take the family on a nice holiday instead!
Old 29 September 2005, 12:31 PM
gumballer@STI
Scooby Regular

Talking my 03 sti type uk

boost turned up manually by drilling out solonoid-320bhp

then-

headers, up pipe, tdo05/06 20G turbo,downpipe, decat
all wrapped.

FSE fuel regulator, walbro pump, aps wing induction, cold air feed through fog cover,ECUTEK map

403bhp/340lbft

total cost second hand +map = £2500
Old 29 September 2005, 12:58 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked your fueling recently Gumballer?

F
Old 29 September 2005, 01:01 PM
Neilo
Scooby Regular

why would he need to with a tek3 done properly?
Old 29 September 2005, 07:27 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Smile

joedesi - I know where you're coming from fella as up until recently we had two scoobs. One had a bout £30k spent on it before we bought it...ran it for a year...sold it for what we paid for it

I'm not planning on selling my car. I've had it for 4 years now and it's got a lot of memories. If I sold it I probably would get £3.5k selling "as is" or maybe £5.5-£6k if I put some effort into putting it back to standard and selling parts.

I've come to the conclusion now that if I want a new car this one will become my track toy as it's just not worth selling it for peanuts....i'd kick myself...lots!!!!

MAFFA
Old 29 September 2005, 10:04 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Neil, Gumballer hasn't stated that he has changed the injectors so still on 565's? I thought it would be safer to run 740's for 400+BHP on the 20g but my real concern is the FSE, which has been known to fail. So a stretched fuelling system producing 400 on a budget seems false economy IMO.

F