Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Evo 6/7 vs. New Scoob STI

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2000, 06:51 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading articles on the New Scoob, many journalists still think that Subaru need improvements to beat the Evo 6. With the new Evo 7 coming out soon, will the new Scoob live up to expectations?

Old 20 September 2000, 09:06 PM
Ro
Scooby Regular

According to the mags, it drives better but I think it looks like a Corolla on speed
Old 20 September 2000, 10:25 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Talking

Maybe Scoobysport may come up with some good body work conversions.....I have know idea what they will do with those lights
Old 21 September 2000, 07:54 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

The magazines drove a WRX version, which now has 247hp, and 205/50 R16 tyres & wheels,
the STI will be launched in next few months,
with 280hp version (for Japan) and over 300hp version (for abroad, NZ, Australia and maybe Europe), 225/45 R17 wheels & tyres.
all this according to Subaru Japan.
Oh keep in mind they drove the Auto WRX.
the STI should hold it's own against the Evo VII.
cheers.
Old 21 September 2000, 02:59 PM
N/A
Scooby Regular

How much more are they going to charge for the privileage of owner the STI edition? The dealer I went to for a test drive of the new WRX told me that they'd locate a VersionV or VI for me if I didn't like the new model. This was before he even got the keys for the test drive. Its been about 3 weeks now and they haven't sold either of the two they got in. Even the pics of the STI edition don't do alot for the car. Maybe in a couple years time they will have evolved the car into something else like the orignal WRX's did.
Old 21 September 2000, 03:09 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

N/A
Did you drive the car. What was your impression [of the driving experience].
Old 21 September 2000, 06:51 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Red face

You have some interesting points, but head to head the EVO 6/7 would probably get the thumbs up as it does so often now.

On top of that who the hell would want to buy a Corolla on steriods? OR even a Chrysler Neon clone (with naff rear spolier)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by elondan:
<B>The magazines drove a WRX version, which now has 247hp, and 205/50 R16 tyres & wheels,
the STI will be launched in next few months,
with 280hp version (for Japan) and over 300hp version (for abroad, NZ, Australia and maybe Europe), 225/45 R17 wheels & tyres.
all this according to Subaru Japan.
Oh keep in mind they drove the Auto WRX.
the STI should hold it's own against the Evo VII.
cheers. [/quote]

Old 21 September 2000, 11:20 PM
N/A
Scooby Regular

I got the test drive of the new WRX from a local dealership. I used to own a VersionIV and was used to the power that model had. All of my last three cars have been turbo. The new car does have a nicer interior then the previous model. However it did still rattle once or twice during the drive. The fact that it no longer has 280hp is noticeable. It definately felt like a detuned WRX. It was noticeably slower. That may be because of the extra weight of the new model and the 33hp less. When we got to the dealers it was sitting next to a Forester and my friend and I both said the new WRX's fenders looked like a Foresters. Orignally the dealer had marked up the price of the new model because they thought they would sell right away. By the time of the test drive the mark up was gone. They sold a Forester and 2 RSK's in the same time since getting the 2 WRX's in. In a country with alot of other options this new WRX may turn out to be a tough sell. I just think that its not worth the money as is and needs some work. At teh same time a local tuner offered to sell me a stock R33 GTR for $10K US. I still love the WRX but not this MY02 version. I'd take a previous model STI or WRX anyday.
Old 23 September 2000, 10:37 AM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

Do you have any idea what the EVO 7 will have in terms of power?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by N/A:
<B>I got the test drive of the new WRX from a local dealership. I used to own a VersionIV and was used to the power that model had. All of my last three cars have been turbo. The new car does have a nicer interior then the previous model. However it did still rattle once or twice during the drive. The fact that it no longer has 280hp is noticeable. It definately felt like a detuned WRX. It was noticeably slower. That may be because of the extra weight of the new model and the 33hp less. When we got to the dealers it was sitting next to a Forester and my friend and I both said the new WRX's fenders looked like a Foresters. Orignally the dealer had marked up the price of the new model because they thought they would sell right away. By the time of the test drive the mark up was gone. They sold a Forester and 2 RSK's in the same time since getting the 2 WRX's in. In a country with alot of other options this new WRX may turn out to be a tough sell. I just think that its not worth the money as is and needs some work. At teh same time a local tuner offered to sell me a stock R33 GTR for $10K US. I still love the WRX but not this MY02 version. I'd take a previous model STI or WRX anyday.[/quote]

Old 23 September 2000, 03:37 PM
AtulM
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Jay,

I am sure a thumbs up for the price of a new EVO 6 compared to the new scooby!!!!!

Why does everyone forget the price factor!!!
Old 23 September 2000, 11:05 PM
N/A
Scooby Regular

I have no idea what the Evo will have. I have only ridden in 2 of them so far and those were a Evo4 and a Evo6. I also rode in a very fast Lancer GSR but that's not exactly what were were talking about. I ended up getting into Nissan's since having my WRX wrecked in Jan and I'm very happy with Nissan. If your serious about a new car then you can find Evo6's here in Japan for alot less then the new WRX. The same could be said for older style WRX's in Europe though. I haven't been to a Mitsu dealer so I haven't even looked at the Evo's. Sorry can't help with any of the new Mitsu's.
Old 25 September 2000, 06:51 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

N/A

I just read that the Evo 7 will have 325 bhp.

Mitsu are going all guns blazing.
Old 25 September 2000, 11:21 PM
N/A
Scooby Regular

The Mitsu dealers wouldn't let me take a test drive so I still can't give you my impression of the Evo. Oh and when is the Evo7 coming out? I think I just need to take a Japanese friend with me in order to get the test drive. If they are making a 325hp version then it will likely still be king even after the STI WRX comes out. Its good to know that Mitsu isn't messing with the recipe. I still can't afford the new Evo though.
Old 26 September 2000, 06:29 PM
JayRaj
Scooby Regular

N/a

Don't know when the new Mitsu will be out, but I have seen artist impressions of the car and it looks far more agressive than the Scoob.

I'm speculating, but I think very early next year in the UK and possibly late December in Japan.