Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reupholstering... Anyone had a go???

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2005, 03:11 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reupholstering... Anyone had a go???

I have managed to obtain enough suede effect upholstery grade fabric to completely reupholster my classic interior and I was thinking of giving it a go myself as the fabric didn't really cost me anything and I don’t really have about £1K just sitting around to pay someone to do it for me.

I have looked into what I would need to do and it looks pretty straight forward (gonna eat those words I know ). Just seams to be a case of pulling the old fabric off, unstitching the panels and using them as templates on the new fabric. Then sowing them all back together and recovering the seats.

Just wondered if anyone had tried it.
Old 22 September 2005, 05:45 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm an upholsterer by trade, admittedly not car seats, but anyway, i did mine, and it took me 8 solid days, and i have the right sewing machine etc...... do not underestimate the job, the front seat covers cannot be removed without destroying the first layer of foam underneath, which then means replacing it with something........ the rear seats were actually quite easy (for me!) but the fronts were a bu66er, still not 100% happy, but it's one of those, 'when i get round to it' jobs...

Good luck if you dare!!

Old 22 September 2005, 08:19 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RON
I'm an upholsterer by trade, admittedly not car seats, but anyway, i did mine, and it took me 8 solid days, and i have the right sewing machine etc...... do not underestimate the job, the front seat covers cannot be removed without destroying the first layer of foam underneath, which then means replacing it with something........ the rear seats were actually quite easy (for me!) but the fronts were a bu66er, still not 100% happy, but it's one of those, 'when i get round to it' jobs...

Good luck if you dare!!
Your seats look great Ron, I remember you posting them up before.

Believe me I'm not expecting it to be easy (I will be doing it on a cheep second hand set of seats).

Disappointed to hear about the top layer of foam. How did you replace it with i.e. will I need to mould the top layer of foam to the seats or will it just be a thin layer of padding glued on top?

I take it you mean correct sewing machine because you used leather, I am only using alcantara style fabric that isn’t anywhere near as thick so I’m hoping a regular machine will be ok.
Old 23 September 2005, 12:17 AM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRXtra power
Your seats look great Ron, I remember you posting them up before.

Believe me I'm not expecting it to be easy (I will be doing it on a cheep second hand set of seats).

Disappointed to hear about the top layer of foam. How did you replace it with i.e. will I need to mould the top layer of foam to the seats or will it just be a thin layer of padding glued on top?

I take it you mean correct sewing machine because you used leather, I am only using alcantara style fabric that isn’t anywhere near as thick so I’m hoping a regular machine will be ok.

Odd that, i used another set of seats too!! just ij case it all went pear shaped!
The top layer of foam is a very difficult thing to replicate, originally it's stuck to the back of the fabric, and then the whole lot is heat treated which bonds it to the lower layer of padding, i tried a very thin (5mm) thick sheet of foam stuck onto the base, that failed, so i tried something else, and like i said, i'm still not 100% with it....
The front seat 'backs' need to be somehow made without removing the old fabric, i found that it kinda slipped on like a giant condom that way... with the lube!! LOL!
You 'may' be ok with a non industrial machine, but you need to realise just how many thickness's of fabric you'll be going through at times....
Old 23 September 2005, 05:57 AM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Ok Ron, I will keep your tips in mind and see how I get on. I know it will be a challange but if it does go pear shaped I will just keep my eye out for a set of STI8 seats.

Thanks
Old 23 September 2005, 07:51 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Ron certainly wouldn't be to hard on yourself from the photos, the seat look really good.

Mark
Old 23 September 2005, 11:43 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

http://www.xtremescoobies.co.uk/interior.htm