Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All this talk of petrol...Opitmax or Ultimate??

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2005, 10:23 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All this talk of petrol...Opitmax or Ultimate??

MY04 WRX turbo intercooler whatever, has a scoop. Yeah yeah yeah blonde I know

Anyway have been putting ultimate in 99.9 pence a litre

Did run it once on Optimax and it didnt run as good, bad batch or is Ultimate better or what??

Depending what I can get hold of of course, trying to keep it topped up at mo as very pregnant and need a car!!! Didnt think of that did they when they bleed the garages dry of petrol!! Cant walk to hospital

Thanks in advance
Old 12 September 2005, 10:39 AM
LEE-WRX
Scooby Regular

If its a uk car then you will be ok to run it on any super unleaded, personally i find optimax is better (classic import) and it is 98 ron as to 97 ron for the ultimate, use which ever your car feels best with and you feel comfortable with.

note: this is my own opinion
Old 12 September 2005, 10:51 AM
girl-in-a-scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEE-WRX
If its a uk car then you will be ok to run it on any super unleaded, personally i find optimax is better (classic import) and it is 98 ron as to 97 ron for the ultimate, use which ever your car feels best with and you feel comfortable with.

note: this is my own opinion
Thanks. Its a UK car. Will try the optimax again
Old 12 September 2005, 12:25 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Optimax or Esso SUL seem to be the best with the dark horse coming up on the outside being the new Tesco 99RON SUL
Old 12 September 2005, 12:31 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I don't won a scoob yet, but i do have an Astra 1.6 8v and i put in 9 tmes out of 10 shell unleaded. Now if i have put some BP unleaded in whislt i still have a bit of shell at the bottom of the tank, i can feel the difference in performance like more. But bp on its own is not as good as shell on its own i.e. i lose performance with bp unlike shell where i gain performance, although it might not me much, but evey little bit helps

all down to preference really and what you feel comfortable with, but mainly what gives you the better performance gain.

Darren

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 12 September 2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12 September 2005, 12:44 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by girl-in-a-scoob
MY04 WRX turbo intercooler whatever, has a scoop. Yeah yeah yeah blonde I know

Thanks in advance
Simply put: It's a performance car, it prefers the good stuff! You may not notice a huge difference in performance, most likely it will just feel smoother and more eager to pick up, particularly at low revs. The higher the RON the better the protection against Detonation too, which is a very good thing with turbo charged engines.

Mine gets optimax, seems very happy on it, very smooth and picks up very nicely from low revs.

BTW. All the best with the nipper!

NS04
Old 12 September 2005, 01:05 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Give it a few tanks to get used to it and you should feel a difference

Trending Topics

Old 12 September 2005, 02:10 PM
gumballer@STI
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

a lot of it probably comes down to the fact that as soon as u come onto the scooby scene, everyone is talking about optimax as the fuel u should use.

however at the start i didnt know what they were talking about and started using ultimate. made no difference as i had a sti type uk and was mapped for normal fuel.

with my car tuned etc now, i need to use whatever gives me the highest octane. now its optimax, tomorrow it could be tescos 99ron. then i add millers octane boost every tank.

if your cars a standard ish UK car then fill it with ultimate, optimax, esso super, whatever you want.
Old 12 September 2005, 03:22 PM
Scoobydrive
Scooby Regular

What are these new age UK/Euro Wrx and sti's mapped for from factory spec, is it 95 or 97 or 98. They must be safe on 95 also as not every Euro country or area has 97 or 98 ron fuel.
If you had to settle for 95, would it be ok or even 95 with octane booster??
Old 12 September 2005, 06:33 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

My MY03 WRX, slightly modified to 268 BHP is mapped to Optimax. I aint no ace or awesome driver, but i notice the difference in my car on BP's Ultimate, when i say difference, i mean ****e difference.
This is only mho, but Optimax for me pisses all over BP.
This is only noticeable if i am really driving the car hard and with plenty of high rev's.
It is only up the rev scale, say 6000 and upto redline that i can tell, and the car dont pull on BP like it does with Optimax. It just does not pull right.
Again, my car is mapped to the Optimax so that is probably all it is, but, just my opinion.
Old 13 September 2005, 09:57 AM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
My MY03 WRX, slightly modified to 268 BHP is mapped to Optimax. I aint no ace or awesome driver, but i notice the difference in my car on BP's Ultimate, when i say difference, i mean ****e difference.
This is only mho, but Optimax for me pisses all over BP.
This is only noticeable if i am really driving the car hard and with plenty of high rev's.
It is only up the rev scale, say 6000 and upto redline that i can tell, and the car dont pull on BP like it does with Optimax. It just does not pull right.
Again, my car is mapped to the Optimax so that is probably all it is, but, just my opinion.
My Mrs put Tesco 95 RON in MY 00 and it ran ok. Perhaps not as smooothly as on Sainsburys 97 RON or Optimax/Tesco 99RON.BP Ultimate put my check engine light on. Dealer said this was down to poor fuel.