not long got my first scooby

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2005, 11:46 AM
eddie c
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile not long got my first scooby

Hi guys

just new to this so please be patient with me. Got my first sccooby not long back 99v,Plenty of toys on in and i having loads of fun driving it. Please feel free to pass on any words of wisdom to me so that i do not trash my new toy.
Old 10 September 2005, 11:55 AM
Barney19
Scooby Regular

Welcome. Enjoy!!
Old 10 September 2005, 12:04 PM
eddie c
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Barney19
Welcome. Enjoy!!
Thanks i will. Having tons of fun looking fwd to a good drive up to dundee tonight.
Old 10 September 2005, 12:40 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

Good words of wisdom that were given to me 4 years ago when I bought my first Scoob:

a) Always allow the car to sufficiently warm up before booting it in a morning, as a general rule I use to wait 15 minutes

b) After a hard drive (and this can include a steady motorway drive at 90MPH) always give the car time to cool down by doing a few miles at 30mph (through town etc)

c) Oil change every 3 to 5 thousand miles

I lived by those rules when I had my first classic scoob, a 95 UK Turbo and it had 175,000 miles on the clock and was still running like a dream when I sold it

Hope this helps, and if any of it is wrong I'm sure I'll be corrected

Old 10 September 2005, 02:10 PM
eddie c
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Hanley
Good words of wisdom that were given to me 4 years ago when I bought my first Scoob:

a) Always allow the car to sufficiently warm up before booting it in a morning, as a general rule I use to wait 15 minutes

b) After a hard drive (and this can include a steady motorway drive at 90MPH) always give the car time to cool down by doing a few miles at 30mph (through town etc)

I lived by those rules when I had my first classic scoob, a 95 UK Turbo and it had 175,000 miles on the clock and was still running like a dream when I sold it

Thanks for the advice will try and remember them.
Old 10 September 2005, 02:35 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I always allow my WRX to warm up too, before taking it to high revs - I keep it under 3k rpm's until the engine temperature is at its normal running temp.

When getting home after a good thrash or motorway miles I allow mine to tickover for as long as my patients allows - I try to leave it for at least a minute before turning off the ignition.
Old 10 September 2005, 02:42 PM
eddie c
Scooby Newbie

will try but car has a only one cat and is quite loud even after it has been run for a long time. I think next door are already complaining about me. oh well to them.

Trending Topics

Old 10 September 2005, 02:55 PM
bengsi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eddie c
will try but car has a only one cat and is quite loud even after it has been run for a long time. I think next door are already complaining about me. oh well to them.
I have the same problem with next door! Get a turbo timer and tell them you cant turn it off till its run down! I work shifts so they usualy get mine at 5am!
Old 10 September 2005, 03:07 PM
eddie c
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bengsi
I have the same problem with next door! Get a turbo timer and tell them you cant turn it off till its run down! I work shifts so they usualy get mine at 5am!
Me to i leave the house at about 6am or if i am on nights i might get in any time from 4.30am to 8am. If you get a trubo timer can you lock the car while the engin is on run down?
Old 10 September 2005, 03:20 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

You need to remember that turbo timers need to be notified to your insurance company. Unless it's integrated into the alarm/immobiliser system, (Clifford do one that is), they may not be too happy and might put up your insurance premium.

Me to i leave the house at about 6am or if i am on nights i might get in any time from 4.30am to 8am. If you get a trubo timer can you lock the car while the engin is on run down?
Old 10 September 2005, 04:07 PM
eddie c
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
You need to remember that turbo timers need to be notified to your insurance company. Unless it's integrated into the alarm/immobiliser system, (Clifford do one that is), they may not be too happy and might put up your insurance premium.
Insurance is already to much so i do not think i will bother geting one plus with the rising fuel costs and the distance to my work 25 m each way i am struggeling to run the car as is.Fuel my way is as much as 100.9 for optimax and 98.9 for normal. !!!!
Old 10 September 2005, 04:13 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Where are you based? I live in S.Wales and have been paying 100.9p/litre for Optimax for a couple of weeks, it's a nightmare!!
Old 10 September 2005, 04:21 PM
eddie c
Scooby Newbie

Near to kilmarnock a town called stewarton on the west coast of scotland. Love my car but they dont half cost a lot to run. I am having to fill my car about one to two times a week allmost cryed when i saw the cost of fuel.All i can hope for is a win on the lottery or big T to sort his stuff out soon, and stop picking on us poor car owners. Or the scooby might have to go sooner than planed.
Old 10 September 2005, 04:25 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Tell me about it - it's bizzare watching the 'litres' and 'pound/pence' counters going round at the same on the pump!!!

I might have to start walking the 20 mile round trip to work each day so that I can afford to waste fuel on the A/B roads at the weekend!!
Old 10 September 2005, 04:31 PM
eddie c
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Trap2Terrorist
Tell me about it - it's bizzare watching the 'litres' and 'pound/pence' counters going round at the same on the pump!!!

I might have to start walking the 20 mile round trip to work each day so that I can afford to waste fuel on the A/B roads at the weekend!!
sounds like a good plan . I am off to dundee tonight think i will take some back road a cheer my self up . You only live once must dash you about £30 worth of fuel to burn and some boy races to play with.
Old 10 September 2005, 04:42 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

LOL

sounds like a good plan . I am off to dundee tonight think i will take some back road a cheer my self up . You only live once must dash you about £30 worth of fuel to burn and some boy races to play with.
Old 10 September 2005, 04:44 PM
JCScooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks i will. Having tons of fun looking fwd to a good drive up to dundee tonight.
Just watch your speed on the road up, the M9 from dunblane is a hot spot for unmarked police and from perth onwards it can be worse.
Old 10 September 2005, 05:35 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Hanley

If you have run one for that amount of time then you have to be a source of ref. !!!!!
Old 10 September 2005, 06:22 PM
scooby11
Scooby Regular

welcome to scoobynet,

i have a MY99 as well, in DBM, absolutely brilliant car....gf keeps complaining about the fuel costs, but everytime I step on the gas, the speed and characteristic burble is just too addictive.

These cars seem to go on for ever, just make sure you keep to the servicing schedule, and have it looked at by someone who has scooby experience.

Apart from the obvious, make the most of it....I still have the biggest grin on my face
even after 5 months of owning it!!!

Good luck mate.
Old 10 September 2005, 07:12 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Bit of advice my boss (who'd had a scoob for 6yrs) gave me when i got mine:

People don't realise how fast you can come round an island and will dilly out infront of you. Always be prepared!!
Old 10 September 2005, 07:22 PM
RB5 69
Scooby Regular

I used to work in Stewarton for a while .... live in Larkhall and had my first Impreza at the time (standard 96 model car) .... IIRC the drive at 10pm at night from Stewarton over to the M77 and then onto the Eaglesham moor road into E.K. was a cracker .... just as well the car had PIAA's!!

Ive owned Impreza's for over 8 years now and have found out more about the cars in the last year after joining the RB5 Owners Club than I had done in the previous 7 .... have also spent more as well though!!

My point is, Eddie, keep an eye on all the different forums, anything you need to know, post it up here or on the RB5 OC or the P1WOC etc,etc. ... you will always find out what you need to know!

Cheers,

Norm.

PS if its a 99 car .... WATCH THE MAF!!
Old 11 September 2005, 01:07 PM
eddie c
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RB5 69
I used to work in Stewarton for a while .... live in Larkhall and had my first Impreza at the time (standard 96 model car) .... IIRC the drive at 10pm at night from Stewarton over to the M77 and then onto the Eaglesham moor road into E.K. was a cracker .... just as well the car had PIAA's!!

Ive owned Impreza's for over 8 years now and have found out more about the cars in the last year after joining the RB5 Owners Club than I had done in the previous 7 .... have also spent more as well though!!

My point is, Eddie, keep an eye on all the different forums, anything you need to know, post it up here or on the RB5 OC or the P1WOC etc,etc. ... you will always find out what you need to know!

Cheers,

Norm.

PS if its a 99 car .... WATCH THE MAF!!
thanks for all the good advice guys all noted and taken on board. .