Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Non turbo and the need for more power

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2000, 02:31 PM
Matthew Mason
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you help ! a friend of mine here in Belgium has a 2.0ltr sport Scooby, he’s in need of more power and cant afford to buy / insure a turbo L He has a turbo back box I suggest he removes the cat, buys a performance manifold, K&N air filter, performance spark plugs, a chip change and session on a rolling road. Is there anything else before having the cylinder heads ported / cams changed. Is there somewhere in the UK who can supply performance parts for non turbo’s.

One last thing, is there anything on the web covering the new Scooby that’s official information. Every magazine I read says something different

Cheers

Old 22 September 2000, 05:31 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If he cannot afford Turbo insurance, then what will happen when he does all the above mods to his insurance - it might end up being as much.

Certainly when I looked into tuning a 2.0L focus to 165 BHP the insurance quotes I got were going to be higher than for a Subaru Impreza Turbo - i.e they more than doubled. Resale value would also be horrendous.

Maybe he'd need to consider a hot hatch somewhere in between a Sport and a Turbo, but I suppose he would lose the 4wd & handling. What about a Puma? Or some other beast like a used Pug 106GTi (0-60 7.2s)(don't laugh it is an amazing car for its price - try one if you don't believe me!) IMHO both better drives than a NA Impreza (although I've only had one test drive) but obviously no comparison with a Turbo. Flame suit on...

I've not yet seen anything official in terms of spec for the MY01 Impreza, and I need a car NOW so the MY00 Turbo arrives soon.