Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Argh!! Swirls after waxing the car! How do I remove them?

Search this Thread

Old 05 September 2005, 12:04 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Argh!! Swirls after waxing the car! How do I remove them?

Hi all,

Set about giving my car a really good clean last nite. Used AutoGlym shampoo, a clar bar with the detailing spray and then NXT wax. Unfortunately I got disturbed having applied the wax and had to return to the job about 60 mins later, by which time it'd got dark. Its difficult to rub in wax with next to no light!! Took the car out of the garage this morning and despite it being showroom shiny and feeeling smooth as glass, there appear to be dark swirls under the wax.

Anyone know how I can remove them? Will a good wash and going over with the chamois (sp?) do the trick, or will I have to use the clay bar to remove the wax and start over?

Advice appreciated.

NS04
Old 05 September 2005, 12:12 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Let me guess...is it sonic blue? Very common with that colour. I hate metallic blue, and dark met red, or met green or met black for that...always show up the swirls

At a guess. The polishing cloth your using may be a bit too rough, or your using too much pressure when removing the wax.

Try washing it first, may bring it out.

Wouldn't bother with the clay bar, Use a cleaner wax or use a fine grade resin based polish such as Autoglym (red label) or Meguires deep crystal stage 2 polish then re-wax, taking care not to use too much pressure when removing and turing the cloth on the final wipes.
Old 05 September 2005, 12:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Let me guess...is it sonic blue? Very common with that colour. I hate metallic blue, and dark met red, or met green or met black for that...always show up the swirls

At a guess. The polishing cloth your using may be a bit too rough, or your using too much pressure when removing the wax.

Try washing it first, may bring it out.

Wouldn't bother with the clay bar, Use a cleaner wax or use a fine grade resin based polish such as Autoglym (red label) or Meguires deep crystal stage 2 polish then re-wax, taking care not to use too much pressure when removing and turing the cloth on the final wipes.
DBM mate. used a 100% cotton cloth, but admittedly was pressing reasonably hard. I think a bit of damp may have got into the wax as it was later than I would have been liked to have done it. Ironically I usually use Autoglym wash, polish and wax and have always been very pleased with the results, but thought I'd give Meguires a go. Was imressed with how much crap the clay bar got off! Also I have to say that the car feels glass smooth and the shine is very impressive.

I'll try a wash and good chamois and if that doesn't work its a case if start again I guess

Ns04
Old 06 September 2005, 12:28 AM
Ennoch
Scooby Regular

Try using microfibre cloths rather than cotton. I find that the rough nature of cotton can cause micromarring of the surface. I think it's a case of stripping right back and using a good polish to get rid of the marks.

If you want to do a reasonable job i would perhaps use the following:

AG shampoo
Meguiares clay bar (This isn't an abrasive, it gets contaminants to stick to it)
AG paint renovator for bad surfaces.
AG Super resin polish applied by a damp microfibre.
AG Extra Gloss protection or P21's wax.

In the UK I would use these guys to get stuff from: http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/

A great place to get info from is www.autopia.org

Hope that helps.
Old 06 September 2005, 07:43 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Ennoch
Try using microfibre cloths rather than cotton. I find that the rough nature of cotton can cause micromarring of the surface. I think it's a case of stripping right back and using a good polish to get rid of the marks.

If you want to do a reasonable job i would perhaps use the following:

AG shampoo
Meguiares clay bar (This isn't an abrasive, it gets contaminants to stick to it)
AG paint renovator for bad surfaces.
AG Super resin polish applied by a damp microfibre.
AG Extra Gloss protection or P21's wax.

In the UK I would use these guys to get stuff from: http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/

A great place to get info from is www.autopia.org

Hope that helps.
Ironically, I was using the AG polish and extra gloss protection before. Just thought I'd give the Meguiares NXT wax a go. I also got a Clay bar, which I was impressed with. I think I'll retain that and revert to Autoglym.

NS04
Old 06 September 2005, 08:43 AM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

I can tell you know it'll be the moisture from the evening air that's done it, i've had the same problem.

Agree with the above though, i use AG for everything apart from there Tyre dressing, cause i prefer the Turtle Wax Wet 'N' Dry.

Swen6
Old 06 September 2005, 12:01 PM
Ennoch
Scooby Regular

I tend to use AG for polishes/waxes and then meguaires for Tyre/wheel stuff and QD sprays. QD sprays are the best invention! takes you 15 minutes to clean your car with them!
Old 06 September 2005, 02:55 PM
Powerkiter
Scooby Regular

What is a clay bar ?
Old 06 September 2005, 03:51 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Do a search

But briefly its a plastacine type product that when lubricated and rubbed over the paintwork removes lots of C**P to return your paintwork to a glass type feel
Old 06 September 2005, 03:53 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html

tells it how it is