Sponsored by:

The'Ring

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2005, 02:19 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The'Ring

Much talk at the moment, particularly from the old school, about a trip to the 'Ring. Well I'm desperate to cut my teeth but would love to go with experienced Scoob drivers and of course those like me who don't know their **** from their elbow (don't want to feel like the only puppy).

Anything on the horizon?

J
Old 04 September 2005, 04:07 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

Theres one in october.

http://bbs.22b.com

International section. We went with that lot (for our first time) on the august trip and they were very nice helpful guys!
Old 04 September 2005, 04:10 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.22b.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...;f=28;t=000058

I'm nervous already .......now where's that PS2?
Old 04 September 2005, 04:18 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

There is a chance I may be able to get over that weekend too, if that helps?
I don't recognise any of the names from the 22B board though. I'm shocked it's still going! Is Anders still involved does anyone know?

S.

Last edited by Stef; 04 September 2005 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04 September 2005, 04:30 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stef
There is a chance I may be able to get over that weekend too, if that helps?
I don't recognise any of the names from the 22B board though. I'm shocked it's still going! Is Anders still involved does anyone know?

S.
Now I am ******* nervous!
Old 04 September 2005, 04:30 PM
turbo it
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up The Ring

there are a few of us going on 14th sept for weekend, a few scoobs,evos and my mates 750bhp skyline! Been going twice a year since 2000, Car Heaven cheers Rob
Old 04 September 2005, 04:32 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by turbo it
there are a few of us going on 14th sept for weekend, a few scoobs,evos and my mates 750bhp skyline! Been going twice a year since 2000, Car Heaven cheers Rob
Castle Coombe on the 16th so no cigar.

Castle Coombe on the 4th Oct

The Ring on the 15th Oct.

All I need to do now is learn how to drive......
Old 04 September 2005, 04:33 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

But thanks for the heads up / invite. Appreciate it.
Old 04 September 2005, 04:36 PM
turbo it
Scooby Regular

castle coombe myfavourite, done it a few times this year was going to go next weekend but to close to the ring trip! cheers Rob
Old 04 September 2005, 05:12 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Stef / Turbo,

Are there any issues with standing water at the ring?

I've got Pirelli Corsas and RE040s.

The RA will wear the Corsas and I could take the RE040s just in case (although the Bridgestones aren't much cop in standing water, they're preferable to aquaplaning like a good'n on the Corsas), but would prefer not to drag them round with me.
Old 04 September 2005, 06:01 PM
Evo mattVI
Scooby Newbie

I will be over there on the weekend of the 14 th Sept it would be nice to meet some people over there
Old 04 September 2005, 06:05 PM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Next weekend - 10th. 11th + 12th - will be loads of scoobs - about 18 from the UK - 11 on the Stelvio Tour (see International Events) and about 7 going from the midlands with T5NYW

Old 04 September 2005, 06:16 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by terryb
Next weekend - 10th. 11th + 12th - will be loads of scoobs - about 18 from the UK - 11 on the Stelvio Tour (see International Events) and about 7 going from the midlands with T5NYW

That's more tempting.

Any answer to the standing water question?
Old 04 September 2005, 06:24 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been dying to do the "ring" at some point and because i have never been on a track day in my life, i am a tad nervous about steaming into such a demanding circuit.
I would love to try and hook up with some total newbies like myself who are just cutting their teeth (so to speak) but maybe someone has a better suggestion on a track on which to try before letting me and the car loose on the famous ring?
dont wont to hijack this thread
should i continue my my PS2 trial runs first
Old 04 September 2005, 06:41 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
I have been dying to do the "ring" at some point and because i have never been on a track day in my life, i am a tad nervous about steaming into such a demanding circuit.
I would love to try and hook up with some total newbies like myself who are just cutting their teeth (so to speak) but maybe someone has a better suggestion on a track on which to try before letting me and the car loose on the famous ring?
dont wont to hijack this thread
should i continue my my PS2 trial runs first
Mate

I'd love to see you at Castle Coombe. I'll be there on the 16th September (me and my bestie) and on the 4th October with the Plymouth gang - there'll be a lot of experience there, but all are really sound. Potential for some instruction with a WRC co-driver (Plymouth lad and acquaintance). PM if you fancy it. If it were me I'd go for the 4th - it's very rare you'll get the opportunity for passenger laps and tuition from top UK drivers.

J

P.s. Dont' worry about experience - I'm a ******* awful driver
Old 04 September 2005, 07:20 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Good thread here. The 959 clip takes flipping ages to download but it's worth the wait for the instructive commentary.

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...29#post4960729
Old 04 September 2005, 07:29 PM
turbo it
Scooby Regular

only been out in wet a few times there but didnt experience any standing water, i had corsas on last year and they where excellent round there, just a shame they are sided cos they are still excellent on the inside tho i did do a couple of trackdays here with them aswell! cheers Rob
Old 04 September 2005, 07:38 PM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

I did it for the first time at the start of August and it is fantastic. More a road than a circuit, if you see what I mean, but with no ***** coming the other way.

Took some advice and drove it initially as I would any road in a spirited manner as several of the corners are totally blind and it takes a few runs around to get a feel for these, regardless of how much GT4 practice you have had.

Once you start getting into the track it becomes a dream and you just want to go around and around again, especially when it is quiet such as the early mornings where there are few cars to get in your way. A damp track is also ideal as it keeps the bikers off, but does focus the mind somewhat.

I enjoyed it so much I am already looking to go again, but it is some distance from UK. I recommend the Hull-Rotterdam ferry to all those in the north as driving down to Dover and then across is just a ball-ache.
Old 04 September 2005, 07:54 PM
turbo it
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by supertouring
I did it for the first time at the start of August and it is fantastic. More a road than a circuit, if you see what I mean, but with no ***** coming the other way.

Took some advice and drove it initially as I would any road in a spirited manner as several of the corners are totally blind and it takes a few runs around to get a feel for these, regardless of how much GT4 practice you have had.

Once you start getting into the track it becomes a dream and you just want to go around and around again, especially when it is quiet such as the early mornings where there are few cars to get in your way. A damp track is also ideal as it keeps the bikers off, but does focus the mind somewhat.

I enjoyed it so much I am already looking to go again, but it is some distance from UK. I recommend the Hull-Rotterdam ferry to all those in the north as driving down to Dover and then across is just a ball-ache.
I agree it does become almost an obsession, we used to go the chunnel way but always go on the Hull ferry now and will be there this time in 2 weeks Happy Days cheers Rob
Old 04 September 2005, 08:01 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Mate

I'd love to see you at Castle Coombe. I'll be there on the 16th September (me and my bestie) and on the 4th October with the Plymouth gang - there'll be a lot of experience there, but all are really sound. Potential for some instruction with a WRC co-driver (Plymouth lad and acquaintance). PM if you fancy it. If it were me I'd go for the 4th - it's very rare you'll get the opportunity for passenger laps and tuition from top UK drivers.

J

P.s. Dont' worry about experience - I'm a ******* awful driver
mate

You are on
I think the 4th will be the best bet for me.(but isnt that a week day ??)
I will PM you to arrange a date (not that kind )
Old 04 September 2005, 08:21 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
mate

You are on
I think the 4th will be the best bet for me.(but isnt that a week day ??)
I will PM you to arrange a date (not that kind )
Bingo. It's a Tuesday....either take the day or plan a sicky.

I'll give you a mobile and landline and we'll have a natter - i'll be in 'till about 9 otherwise anytime tomorrow. I'll also give you the organisers details and see if he can get you in on the group booking - you'll save a couple of quid.

Nice one.

Speak soon

J

Last edited by JTaylor; 04 September 2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05 September 2005, 01:54 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Rob/turbo it.

Did you used to have/still got a Cossie with the plate 'turbo it'?
If so, then i remember you being over at The Ring on one of my last visits. I think it may have been your first trip actually.
Is your mate with the Skyline the same one that had the Skyline on that trip? I remember him posting somewhere on his return how nothing had passed him on track the whole trip, which was amusing as my footage (which I haven't seen for years and really should use for a Cossiekiller sequel considering the emails I still get about the first video!) showed otherwise.
If it is you, good to see you're still around.
If it's not, I'll get me coat!

S.
Old 05 September 2005, 12:38 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
That's more tempting.

Any answer to the standing water question?
Loads of it when I was over in Aug on the Sunday including rivers running across the track!!. You will need good rain tyres I run on Michelin PS2's and they were excellent, Floyd, who I went with, ran on RE040's and they were not good, just ask him!!

Stef you logger I maybe going on the 22B trip if I can do the date if not I am trying for dates around that

Simon
Old 05 September 2005, 02:12 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by simo
Loads of it when I was over in Aug on the Sunday including rivers running across the track!!. You will need good rain tyres I run on Michelin PS2's and they were excellent, Floyd, who I went with, ran on RE040's and they were not good, just ask him!!

Stef you logger I maybe going on the 22B trip if I can do the date if not I am trying for dates around that

Simon
Yeh we had F1 GSD3s and they were great. Going up a hill with a river coming down at you is quite daunting though!
Old 05 September 2005, 04:23 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phelpsa
Yeh we had F1 GSD3s and they were great. Going up a hill with a river coming down at you is quite daunting though!
Hmm, guess I'll have to pray for sun.

Thanks for the responses chaps.
Old 05 September 2005, 06:21 PM
turbo it
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rob/turbo it.

Did you used to have/still got a Cossie with the plate 'turbo it'?
If so, then i remember you being over at The Ring on one of my last visits. I think it may have been your first trip actually.
Is your mate with the Skyline the same one that had the Skyline on that trip? I remember him posting somewhere on his return how nothing had passed him on track the whole trip, which was amusing as my footage (which I haven't seen for years and really should use for a Cossiekiller sequel considering the emails I still get about the first video!) showed otherwise.
If it is you, good to see you're still around.
If it's not, I'll get me coat!

S.

Hi Stef yes it is me no not got the cossie anymore it broke all the time!! Had an sti7 uk car for a few years now been to the ring a few times in it, getting my times down and not to far away from you now ha ha could really do with setting the car up more for the ring as its pretty standard, yeah i remember that first time it was scary and also made me realise bhp isnt everything, we are going over next week really looking forward to it, i remember doing that first Bedford track with you bit of a crap day as i recall, would be good to see you again especially at the ring, our main trip is at easter when its open all day for the four days, because i think Clarkson has almost knackered it up as its mad busy all the time now, dont think it was my mate with the skyline who posted as he dosent go on any boards and isnt arsed about people passing him but to be fair theres not many do hes down to 8.10 which was on standard suspension etc, the car is down at Abbey now been mapped and full set up with tein coilovers so should be interesting next week, Oh ive No passenger so if your free youd be more than welcome to jump in !! Cheers Rob
Old 05 September 2005, 08:11 PM
simo
Scooby Regular

Hi Stef yes it is me no not got the cossie anymore it broke all the time!! Had an sti7 uk car for a few years now been to the ring a few times in it, getting my times down and not to far away from you now ha ha could really do with setting the car up more for the ring as its pretty standard, yeah i remember that first time it was scary and also made me realise bhp isnt everything, we are going over next week really looking forward to it, i remember doing that first Bedford track with you bit of a crap day as i recall, would be good to see you again especially at the ring, our main trip is at easter when its open all day for the four days, because i think Clarkson has almost knackered it up as its mad busy all the time now, dont think it was my mate with the skyline who posted as he dosent go on any boards and isnt arsed about people passing him but to be fair theres not many do hes down to 8.10 which was on standard suspension etc, the car is down at Abbey now been mapped and full set up with tein coilovers so should be interesting next week, Oh ive No passenger so if your free youd be more than welcome to jump in !! Cheers Rob
and breath
Old 05 September 2005, 10:26 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

LOL!!!!!!!!!
Fair play Rob, glad you switched teams!
I'd love to come next week but would hate going and not driving, plus I'm in the process of moving too.
Next Easter is a def though. I may still go next month too.

S.
Old 06 September 2005, 01:27 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

LOL!!!!!!!!!
Fair play Rob, glad you switched teams!
I'd love to come next week but would hate going and not driving, plus I'm in the process of moving too.
Next Easter is a def though. I may still go next month too.

S.
I'm putting my first outing off until next season. Partly because I want to get my time in on the revised set-up on my RA...but mostly because I'm a big baby. I'll keep an eye out for you Stef........do you do signed photographs?
Old 06 September 2005, 09:50 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

www.northloop.co.uk the official unoffical 'ring' website and forum.

Darren

Quick Reply: The'Ring