Sponsored by:

Importing from Japan

Search this Thread

Old 03 September 2005, 01:45 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing from Japan

Has anybody tried importing a Scooby direct from Japan if so how about did you make a reliable contact in Japan and what are the procedures?

I take it I can't just **** a Scooby over and start driving it on the road.
Old 03 September 2005, 08:32 AM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't try and '****' a scooby, thats gotta sting
Old 03 September 2005, 08:43 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

im in the process of shipping a 03 sti over, i had to make full payment by telegraphic transfer within in 2 working days.then when it lands you have to pay 17.5% VAT and 10% duty. i also rang model reports up who recomend the SVA centre in liverpool docks who do a full sva test and register the car etc etc for £2k so you can just drive the car away from the docks
Old 03 September 2005, 01:08 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Steve

how did you find the car in Japan?
have you got a contact for Model Reports (if thats who you used for the SVA)?
Old 03 September 2005, 01:11 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id advise against trying to import a car yourself. There are so many hurdles and even more opportunities to get ripped off. Virtually everyone Ive spoken to has had the **** taken over something, when Ive looked at their charges. If youre interested, Ive mentioned all of the pitfalls / problems in previous posts at some length.

Simon
Old 03 September 2005, 03:20 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd listen to Simon above. He seems to know what he's talking about!
Old 03 September 2005, 05:25 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
Steve

how did you find the car in Japan?
have you got a contact for Model Reports (if thats who you used for the SVA)?

i have been watching some company in japan for a year now and decided to buy one, you need to make sure the car is a respectable price as there is loads of charges etc to be added. you dont really need to get a model report for the car to pass the sva test but if you do it guarantees the car will pass as they have all the things to bolt onto the car to make sure it pass's

just remember if you do import one yourself you have got virtually 30% to add on for vat and duty then a futher £2k to cover for everything to get the car on the road for the UK so that a big lump to add to the cars price
Old 03 September 2005, 06:06 PM
John McAndrew
Scooby Regular

anything over 10years old does not need a sva test,its about 7-800 quid for shipping...then you have customers and vat to pay...but it can work out cheaper thats why there are so many dealers about....if you want to PM me your number a friend of mine works for YA logistics in Southampton which is a shipping agent and he can give you loads of advice and all good trustworthy people in japan
Old 03 September 2005, 06:10 PM
John McAndrew
Scooby Regular

as for a model report,im pretty sure if the car is under 10 years old then it needsa a model report...my mate has a honda in his compund which ive never heard of...he is waithing to find out if its over 10 years old as there is not a model report...if its newer then it aint going on hte road
Old 03 September 2005, 09:01 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

i have spoken to the dvla/sva centres about model reports. andif you buy a model report your car has to match that model report exactly hence the £2k but if you take a chance on doing it your self you can just SVA the car but it has to meet all UK standards plus for my year car im importing it needs a lean ecu plus a catted exhaust which the liverpool docks sva centre all cater for
Old 04 September 2005, 02:03 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CyprusScooby
I'd listen to Simon above. He seems to know what he's talking about!
Old 04 September 2005, 02:13 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by John McAndrew
anything over 10years old does not need a sva test,its about 7-800 quid for shipping...then you have customers and vat to pay...but it can work out cheaper thats why there are so many dealers about....if you want to PM me your number a friend of mine works for YA logistics in Southampton which is a shipping agent and he can give you loads of advice and all good trustworthy people in japan
Without wanting to appear argumentitive; shipping costs are much less. Expect to pay $68US per cubic metre. An Impreza is approximately 10.5M3 so youre looking at approximately US$720. Shipping companies use the HMC&E Dollar exchange rate set for the month, for conversion, which tends to be poorer than a commercial rate but better than tourist. At present this would equate to about £394. The shipping cost will attract Duty at 10% (£39:40) and VAT at 17.5% (£75:85) totalling £509:25. You will have to pay Duty & VAT on everything that youve paid including agents fees, commission and all other expences.

Simon
Old 04 September 2005, 02:18 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
i have been watching some company in japan for a year now and decided to buy one, you need to make sure the car is a respectable price as there is loads of charges etc to be added. you dont really need to get a model report for the car to pass the sva test but if you do it guarantees the car will pass as they have all the things to bolt onto the car to make sure it pass's

just remember if you do import one yourself you have got virtually 30% to add on for vat and duty then a futher £2k to cover for everything to get the car on the road for the UK so that a big lump to add to the cars price
As other people have stated Steve; with a few exceptions which I wont mention, as they wont apply to you, a car manufactured after 311296 must have a Model Report available for you to hire otherwise is can not be E-SVA tested. No approval; no registration.

A vehicle thats less than ten years old but manufactured before 311296 will require an SVA test (not an E-SVA); this doesnt require a Model Report and may be the cause of your confusion.

Hope that this helps.

Simon
Old 04 September 2005, 03:02 PM
baddermans
BANNED

Mate you wanna listen to gc8 the guy is spot on.
Old 04 September 2005, 04:35 PM
John McAndrew
Scooby Regular

it was an estimate,thats why i said i would give him the number of a friend who works for Y A logistics in southampton who would be able to give him accurate advice and good contacts in Japan...my price came from an estima which we were having a coversation about the other day