Sponsored by:

Looking for a scooby is a knightmare

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2005, 01:58 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Looking for a scooby is a knightmare

Before i share with you my dissapointing search for an wrx back in 1996 i was about 19 yeras old and all i wanted in life was a vauxhall nova GTE, now dont laugh but at that time it was the 'in' thing.

My memory is a bit hayzee but we must of phystically looked at around 15 of them before i bought one, most of them have been in bushes, trashed, run badly, rusty etc...

Now it been nearly 2 months since ive been looking for an impreza wrx and all i have seen is the same crap, cars so badly painted children couldnt of done any worse, bits of pieces missing, and to be honest i havnt found much mechanically wrong with them as i normally give up after discovering their bad past panel life.

Now the majourity of the cars which i have physically looked at were from ebay, its amazing how they make the pictures look so nicley and when seeing the car in real life they become so ugly! I really feel for anybody who has bidded and bought one of these ponnies!!!

I dont ask for much all i want is a standard (ish) wrx, any colour, dont mind some paint work being done to a good standard as the car is likely to have enocountered something in its 10-12 year life but not every panel painted badly and not prepared properly before hand showing loads of patches underneath the paint which is visable in sunlight!!

Give me strength!
Old 29 August 2005, 02:39 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mozzaITA

Give me strength!
How much would you like sir ??
Old 29 August 2005, 02:41 PM
MrDBM
Scooby Regular

there are so many sheds out there it's unreal

If I were starting again I would go for a UK spec car, they tend to have been molested a little less, and you are much more likely to find a 'minter'. You can always upgrade to WRX power levels if that's your thing.

I traded mine in last week and now it's for sale 5 miles down the road - whoever gets that will be getting a very good car, pretty much perfect really. (yes I do miss it a bit!)

Surf the Scooby forums and try and find someone's pride and joy, it will most likely have been very well looked after - history and servicing is everything with these things.

All in all don't be put off, there are some decent cars, unfortunatley at the moment the shed to mint ratio is about 10:1
Old 29 August 2005, 03:49 PM
skoosh
Scooby Regular

Funny thing looking for an impreza...I decided 2.5 years ago that I wanted an impreza...wanted a white uk wagon with history for about £7k.

Walked into a local garage that wasn't known for imports but did know what customer service was and had a general interest in my needs and requests.

This was a sunday and he " didn't deal with subarus as too many people were doing the same thing." He took my number and said if anything came up he would contact me.

At 14H30 next day, phone rang and was asked if I still wanted a scoob?

Yes, I replied, well I have one coming over, actually on the way to a Scoob main dealer I was told. White, MY96, uk wagon, FSSH, completely std and 72k on clock, all for £6.8k.

I instructed him to hold it for me and I'd view it that day....bear in mind that I'd absolutely NO knowledge of imprezas and had NOT found Scoobynet at this stage.

Anyway, I went along, realised that it was a pre-facelift model and although a little dissappointed at wasn't a MY97, I took it for a test drive and was hooked from that moment on, although it was std at the time, I'd been driving an ALFA 164 CLOVERLEAF V6, 24V, 3L, nearly 2 tonne but 215 BHP and was a large comfy cruiser.

I bought the car for £7k and had a tracker and class 1 alarm/immob fitted as part of the purchase price after a little haggling.

I've not looked back since and after speaking to both previous owners, both doctors, I realised just how much TLC this car had had. Full Subaru history, oil changed at least every 3/4k AND came with optional aircon and full Prodrive interior styling pack with consists of Mcrae style recaros, rear seat and doorcards retrimmed to match, momo gearknob and full carbon-style dashboard pack, an extra £2000 worth of extras from brand new.

Second owner, 3 months before trading car in, had fitted a scoobysport centre section and backbox and kenwood 6 cd changer.

Both owners had told me about each having a bumper replaced due to minor carpark altications and were both very open and honest about the car's history, this was after me writing to both of them first and asking questions to which they both answered by telephone.

I've had the car now since March 2003 and it's nearly done 120k, in that time I've added plenty of tasteful mods and the car probably doesn't resemble what it was 2.5 years ago. In that time I've had to replace the header tank due to a split and radiator due to a leak. It's regularly serviced and oils changed religiously although it is in at present having all engine seals and gaskets replaced along with head gasket and new cambelt after i started to lose coolant and wanted everything changing.

Even though the car is modded to about 260-270 bhp and runs very smoothly after taking silly vta d/valve and ridiculous TSL firestorm b/box off I still wish that I'd discovered scoobynet a few months b4 buying my wagon as I'd have bought a TypeR or sti wagon but hey I don't regret it one bit.

I've spent a fortune on her and she's not missed a beat and I only looked at one car.

It's luck of the draw I suppose and some are more lucky than others. I know plenty of people with jap spec sti's who've had to have complete engine rebuilds within 1000 miles.

Here's a pic of my 96 uk wagon.http://photobucket.com/albums/y47/sk...nt=scooby1.jpg

Good luck in your' search as you WILL find a good 'un.

Si.

Last edited by skoosh; 29 August 2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 29 August 2005, 05:11 PM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Ebay isnt the best place to look - an awful lot of cars on there seem to be sheds people cant sell in the local freeads or auto trader - probably due to people coming to look at them, going 'its a shed' and walking away pretty quickly.

I had the same problem when I was looking - went to look at lots of sheds that sounded like bargains in the ads - found out pretty quickly that anything in vgc sells for a lot more than the rough ones.
Old 30 August 2005, 06:57 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

sad to see some of these wrx's in such a state though...... i guess i'll keep on hunting
Old 30 August 2005, 07:12 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reckon you should look for a Standard UK Wagon ................. THEN, you will see some very nice examples (you'll get the crap cars too, but your odds are much improved!!)

A 12 year old WRX??? ................ they are all on council estates and owned by chavs - those that aren't are NOT for sale!!

Its the same with all cars .......................... description says immaculate in the advert, you drive 100miles and its a pile of ****e!! I don't travel more than 20 miles now - unless I am on a definate!!

I have had some fun with these tosser owners ...... most of them refuse to come out of their houses when I yell that they are w*****kers through the letterbox and tell them to 'get their ***** outside and show me this fooookin immaculate car they have for sale' mad??? mad???

Keep looking ............ but, don't expect any 12 year old import to be anything other than a chavmobile!!

Pete
Old 30 August 2005, 07:19 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I reckon you should look for a Standard UK Wagon ................. THEN, you will see some very nice examples (you'll get the crap cars too, but your odds are much improved!!)

A 12 year old WRX??? ................ they are all on council estates and owned by chavs - those that aren't are NOT for sale!!

Its the same with all cars .......................... description says immaculate in the advert, you drive 100miles and its a pile of ****e!! I don't travel more than 20 miles now - unless I am on a definate!!

I have had some fun with these tosser owners ...... most of them refuse to come out of their houses when I yell that they are w*****kers through the letterbox and tell them to 'get their ***** outside and show me this fooookin immaculate car they have for sale' mad??? mad???

Keep looking ............ but, don't expect any 12 year old import to be anything other than a chavmobile!!

Pete
go away you with your wagon!! smelly
Old 30 August 2005, 07:21 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
Well, thats IRISH for you!!!

Pete
Old 30 August 2005, 07:24 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Dare i say it, some wise words from Uncle Pete!

Plus not all imports are clapped out has beens!
Old 30 August 2005, 07:27 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Pete
Oh come on Pete !!!

There are some very desireable imports out there, it just depends on
what your willing to pay.

And for god's sake, quite using the bloody 'C' word !!!!!

Rob
Old 30 August 2005, 07:29 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flat4_ire
Nothing wrong with Wagons, Irish !

Rob
Old 30 August 2005, 07:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Oh come on Pete !!!

There are some very desireable imports out there, it just depends on
what your willing to pay.

And for god's sake, quite using the bloody 'C' word !!!!!

Rob
The thread starter is looking at 10, 11 and 12 year old WRX's ................ thats the imports I was referring to!!

Pete
Old 30 August 2005, 08:17 PM
AVI-8
Scooby Regular

Try this website www.pistonheads.com click on the clasifieds section

It's where I got mine and there seemed to be quite a few nice ones although as already mentioned pictures can hide a multitude of sins.

Also there's usually some nice ones for sale on this website
Old 30 August 2005, 08:52 PM
oscarprezza
Scooby Regular

buy mine if u r serious in the hunt for a never damaged decent one with fsh 7500 pounds gets u my mint v3 sti ,nuff said
Old 30 August 2005, 09:07 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oscarprezza
buy mine if u r serious in the hunt for a never damaged decent one with fsh 7500 pounds gets u my mint v3 sti ,nuff said
I would hazard a guess that he is looking to spend less than £7500!!!

That money puts you well and truly into the MY2000 UK territory!! No need to settle for second best and buy an Import with £7500!!!

Pete
Old 30 August 2005, 09:43 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Timing is everything. I was selling a mint'ish' wagon a couple of months ago. Started at 4800 quid and slowly dropped the price to 3500 quid. I then went as far as 3400 quid but decided not to sell at this low price even though I was starting to get bites.

I bought it for 5k 18 months ago and have spent over 2.5k on it, and have looked after it very well.

Seems to me you can't sell them, not you can't buy them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...llerscooby.jpg