Sponsored by:

VTA Dump Valves

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2005, 04:59 PM
Jdub
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTA Dump Valves

I have just taken off my HKS SSQV (fitted to JDM 02 STI) and re fitted the OEM DV to see if I could tell any difference in performance and to be honest I couldn't really tell any difference apart from the ouvious lack of noise. So what I am saying is while a VTA DV does not aid performance it hasn't made it worse as far as I can tell whilst driving. I also didn't have any of the probs other people have stated ie iratic idling or misfire/back firing and as for fuel economy, well I drive quite quick any way so I am never gonna have good economy in a car that drinks fuel like crazy.

I think the main reason people notice a difference when taking a VTA off is because you drive it in a more sensible way. As the noise of them can be either a bit distracting, or a person may drive a bit more iratically to make the noise ie on and off boost more than nessecary, now if you have one fitted and are honest you know this is the case!

So Does any one have any hard facts (ie you are a mechanic that works on Scoobies, not just something you read on the net) as to why you shouldn't have a VTA DV on a Scooby, or maybe you thought your Scooby ran better with a re-circ one. at the momment I am leaving it off because 1) I cant be arsed fitting it again and 2) My dad will using my motor while I am away, dont think he would like the attension!!

Like I said please no posts to your view on wether they sound crap etc..just sensible ones please, so these questions will never have to asked again.

So at the end of the day does it just come down to a matter of taste to weather you want the Whoooosh,is there an advantage, I know HKS and all the other manufacters seem to think so or are we damaging our cars.

Regards Jdub.

Last edited by Jdub; 27 August 2005 at 05:22 PM.
Old 27 August 2005, 05:27 PM
Dspeed
Scooby Regular

General opinion is that there is little point in fitting one to an impreza until you are running over 300BHP (Indirect quote from RCM). IM nt quite at that figure but Ive jus fitted a DV10 to mine (not so noisy) to help reduce turbo stall at mid rev changes and to increase acceleration. It has made a noticable differance to my car.
Old 27 August 2005, 05:31 PM
prelude
Scooby Regular

fitted two(didnt like the first one) now both made car run idle like carp , finally learnt now wont be fitting one again .

Dan ( i like the noise thoe)
Old 27 August 2005, 08:10 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by prelude
fitted two(didnt like the first one) now both made car run idle like carp , finally learnt now wont be fitting one again .

Do you mean the car is running a bit fishy?
Old 27 August 2005, 08:10 PM
nonads
Scooby Newbie

Question

Originally Posted by prelude

did it sound like a fish then?