Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked keys in car this morning with engine running....

Search this Thread

Old 18 August 2005, 01:39 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locked keys in car this morning with engine running....

Decided to go to work in the Scoob this morning. So after pulling out of the garage, I got out (with engine running) and shut the garage door.....
I turned to find that the driver's door had semi-shut, and the alarm decided to lock the doors (as it normally would if the driver stays in the car).
Worst luck was that the misses had literally drove off to her place of work only moments before, and my house keys + mobile phone were in the car.

Anyway to cut a long story short I managed to get hold of my misses to come back so I could get in the house to retrieve my 2nd key fob.
GGRrrrrrr!! What a bummer.

So a warning to all with automatic door locking... If your drive is on a slope be careful if your car is facing up the slope when you start and you happen to nip back out whilst its running!

Nick
Old 18 August 2005, 01:52 PM
p1mark
Scooby Regular

Location: In a 405 BHP/360 ft/lb P1 with SN superstar Sonic dog at my side!

lol.

ive done it a couple of times. i now keep a spare house key hidden in the garden, so i can get in the house for my spare.

also useful for friday / saturday night pub return on occasion.
Old 18 August 2005, 02:13 PM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

I did this on a hyundai hire car so no spare fob, it was a freezing morning and the central locking was froozen too bad to open itself, so i managed to open the drivers door with the key got in started the engine and said to myself 'dont close the door while your scraping the ice off the windows, because the central locking is still Locked' anyway, cleared all the ice off, then thought 'damn, left my phone in the house' and i bloody shut the car door! as soon as i did it i heard the central locking doing the 'zip' sound, anyway 5 hrs of car idling (full tank) till the hire car people showed up!

It was nice a toasty inside with the heater on full though

Simon
Old 18 August 2005, 02:32 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Ben's on route to Marks house to 'borrow' his car
Old 18 August 2005, 02:50 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've done it twice so far.

First time, I was asked to rev the car to show people what the DV sounded like with the bonnet open. I revved the car from the linkage and the doors locked. I was in a field racing RC cars miles away from home so pretty stuck. We eventually got some wire and pushed it between the seal and the window and jabbed the electric window switch. One good thing about frameless doors.

Second time, pouring rain and the GF car breaks down. Off I go in the scoob with our 3 year old in the back to jump start the GFs car. Again rev the engine from the throttle link while she gets hers started and it locks again but this time with the nipper in the back. Our daughter was still strapped into her car seat and couldn't undo the buckle to reach the handle. Fortunately, she could reach the window switch and after much persuasion our daughter finally opened the window. Seems to find it very funny mummy and daddy jumping about outside in the torrential rain.
Old 18 August 2005, 03:15 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On a previous car that did this and on my sister's car I always open the window just incase

Mine won't lock until I've driven away though

Originally Posted by skoobidude
Decided to go to work in the Scoob this morning. So after pulling out of the garage, I got out (with engine running) and shut the garage door.....
I turned to find that the driver's door had semi-shut, and the alarm decided to lock the doors (as it normally would if the driver stays in the car).
Worst luck was that the misses had literally drove off to her place of work only moments before, and my house keys + mobile phone were in the car.

Anyway to cut a long story short I managed to get hold of my misses to come back so I could get in the house to retrieve my 2nd key fob.
GGRrrrrrr!! What a bummer.

So a warning to all with automatic door locking... If your drive is on a slope be careful if your car is facing up the slope when you start and you happen to nip back out whilst its running!

Nick
Old 18 August 2005, 03:21 PM
SCOOBY TOWERS
Scooby Regular

Its very easy to open a locked Scoob without the keys.
I won't tell anyone how, but its a lot easier than you could possibly imagine and it doesn't cause any damage.

Trending Topics

Old 18 August 2005, 03:29 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did this once with my Corrado...in Huddersfield up North..

My passenger side door handle broke, so bought a spare that i was going to change when i got back home, then when i left a client site managed to break the driver side!!!

so though as soon as i get home will have to change this....

So pulled into a petrol station to check my air, windows were closed and engine running with the music blasting, got out and closed the door...and i realised ****...door handles are broken! What made it worse was the Petrol station was closed and in the middle of no where...

Temperature was in the Minus, and snowing...and 3 hours later someone arrived with a saw and i ended up cutting the door handle off...
Old 18 August 2005, 03:32 PM
AS90
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SCOOBY TOWERS
Its very easy to open a locked Scoob without the keys.
I won't tell anyone how, but its a lot easier than you could possibly imagine and it doesn't cause any damage.
Thats easy - you just wave your hands around a bit and point at the car and shout SHAZZAM!

http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=21454872
Old 18 August 2005, 03:37 PM
manx minx
Scooby Regular

Red face

We were lucky a few weeks ago as I carry both sets of scooby keys on my set and we were out in hubbys sti and he had his keys in the ignition and for some reason my keys were in hubby's car. Anyway we both got out of the car to talk to graham wr1 and his car automatically locked but ours didn't, so to check it hubby took his keys out of the ignition to check would it automatically lock which it did after a few minutes. It was only a little while later we realised that both sets of keys were in the car and we would have been in big trouble had the car had locked as quick as graham's had.

-----------

Subaru Impreza wrx sti type uk ppp '03

Subaru Impreza turbo 4x4 '97