Sponsored by:

BMW 120D? - May be selling the 54 STI uk

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2005, 10:43 AM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face BMW 120D? - May be selling the 54 STI uk

The STI is coming up for a year old and about to clock 10,000 miles.

It has been a mixed year and I am still astounded at the back road pace and that dream engine note from the prodrive rear box.

However the cost of fuel / fuel consumption, chronic depreciation and the fact that I simply have not really used it as intended (no time at weekends - the wife screams every time it hits 4K plus and daily commuting to work on a rigorously speed restricted 50mph max road).

Its time to cut my losses and make a move to TDi power, looking at the BMW120D MSport 0-60 in 7.9 and 139 max very good handling package and 60 MPG. Anyone tried one?
What price for the Scooby nowadays?
Anyone want a September 54 Type UK STI hardly "used" in Black??
cheers Paul.
http://www.usedsubarucars.co.uk/used....0%20WRX%20STi
Old 17 August 2005, 11:33 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulhsti

It has been a mixed year and I am still astounded at the back road pace and that dream engine note from the prodrive rear box.

However the cost of fuel / fuel consumption, chronic depreciation and the fact that I simply have not really used it as intended (no time at weekends - the wife screams every time it hits 4K plus and daily commuting to work on a rigorously speed restricted 50mph max road).

Its time to cut my losses and make a move to TDi power, looking at the BMW120D MSport 0-60 in 7.9 and 139 max very good handling package and 60 MPG. Anyone tried one?
cheers Paul.
Depreciation is only relevant when you sell - so my advise is DON'T.If you keep the car for another 2-3 yrs, the depreciation will be less per year of ownership......which is a good thing.

If £20 a week extra fuel cost(based on your mileage) is a major issue then....erm.....maybe you shouldn't be buying an expensive car?
Old 17 August 2005, 11:48 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrollySTI
Depreciation is only relevant when you sell - so my advise is DON'T.If you keep the car for another 2-3 yrs, the depreciation will be less per year of ownership......which is a good thing.

If £20 a week extra fuel cost(based on your mileage) is a major issue then....erm.....maybe you shouldn't be buying an expensive car?
Exactly, the many thousands of pounds you will lose when you sell it will far outweigh any fuel you will save with the BMW.
Old 17 August 2005, 11:54 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

If you can hear your wife screaming after 4000rpms, maybe its time for a louder back-box ? (or a quieter missus)
Old 17 August 2005, 11:54 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

There's a ship load of 06 Impreza's and Legacy's at Bristol, most dealers are chopping upto 25% off current stock in order to shift them before the new stuff arrives.

I got bid 16k for my mint Legacy Spec B Tourer that I paid 26k for in Nov 04, that's a 10k drop in 8/9 months, I'm sure you can tell what I told the stealer!

After 4 new Subaru's in 3 years this will be my last, surely nothing else depriciates as quickly as a Subaru?
Old 17 August 2005, 12:19 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by G00ner
After 4 new Subaru's in 3 years this will be my last, surely nothing else depriciates as quickly as a Subaru?
a 54-plate City Rover ?
Old 17 August 2005, 12:21 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

There's a ship load of 06 Impreza's and Legacy's at Bristol, most dealers are chopping upto 25% off current stock in order to shift them before the new stuff arrives.

I got bid 16k for my mint Legacy Spec B Tourer that I paid 26k for in Nov 04, that's a 10k drop in 8/9 months, I'm sure you can tell what I told the stealer!

Just thinking I should maybe cut the losses now before the 06 gets on sale and then the new new version comes out and values continue to plumet. I Feel the tide is turning against the current scooby in in terms of style perception, image and costs, even the std performance level is becoming the norm with latest diesels and vxr astras etc.
anyone want avoid that same initial drop and buy a mint year old car?
Old 17 August 2005, 01:43 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by MJW
a 54-plate City Rover ?
pmsl
martin
Old 17 August 2005, 01:51 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

funnily enough my mate has just had one as a courtsey car - he absolutely hated it and didn't have a good word to say about it.

So there goes a spanner in your works!
Old 17 August 2005, 02:04 PM
New_scooby_04

cheers Paul.
Paul,

Don't be hoodwinked by depreciation and diesels! Depreciation is just something that happens, not relevant unless you sell and MOST relevant if you sell within 3 years of ownership where it hits the hardest, losses become more modest thereafter. As pointed out above, you'll loose your shirt on depreciation and get back a few stiches and buttons in the form of better economy from the Diesel.

BUT

Don't be fooled, modern Diesels are very impressive, but once you've got used to the plentiful low down torque you'll be left wanting when you're forced to change up at 4k and get nowt in the form of aural satisfaction from the car. AND if you drive it like that, bang goes your economy argument for getting the Diesel!

Performance Diesel is no longer an oxymoron, I've driven some belters, but its performance without character or joy. IMHO the real enthsiast still goes for the petrol car!

NS04
Old 17 August 2005, 02:40 PM
paulhsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Paul,

Don't be hoodwinked by depreciation and diesels! Depreciation is just something that happens, not relevant unless you sell and MOST relevant if you sell within 3 years of ownership where it hits the hardest, losses become more modest thereafter. As pointed out above, you'll loose your shirt on depreciation and get back a few stiches and buttons in the form of better economy from the Diesel.

BUT

Don't be fooled, modern Diesels are very impressive, but once you've got used to the plentiful low down torque you'll be left wanting when you're forced to change up at 4k and get nowt in the form of aural satisfaction from the car. AND if you drive it like that, bang goes your economy argument for getting the Diesel!

Performance Diesel is no longer an oxymoron, I've driven some belters, but its performance without character or joy. IMHO the real enthsiast still goes for the petrol car!

NS04
I did read in "What car" that on purchase price v pure fuel consumption saving basis it takes 90,000 miles for a 320 diesel to start saving compared to a standard 320 petrol. The overal picture looks better with diesels making better resale values but food for thought.
Still can't help thinking the tide has turned somewhat against Scooby's and don't trust Subaru's handle on protecting their customer interests, i.e suddenly new Scooby's have PPP as standard and existing not even a sniff at a discounted rate when I asked.
Old 17 August 2005, 02:50 PM
New_scooby_04

I did read in "What car" that on purchase price v pure fuel consumption saving basis it takes 90,000 miles for a 320 diesel to start saving compared to a standard 320 petrol. The overal picture looks better with diesels making better resale values but food for thought.
Still can't help thinking the tide has turned somewhat against Scooby's and don't trust Subaru's handle on protecting their customer interests, i.e suddenly new Scooby's have PPP as standard and existing not even a sniff at a discounted rate when I asked.
Look at any manufacturer as a buiness i.e. they sell cars and you won't be dissapointed. Start thinking about whether they care about depreciation or existing customers feelings when they produce offers and you'll come away disillusioned. Its progres: they'll always be a better deal down the road, you can go on like that forever.

What matters is the quality of the car -that's what you have to live with- and the STi is a cracker!

Reading about the latest generation of hot hatches the other day inc the new Astra and it struck me that 10 years on from the 1st UK Scooby not one of them can demonstate a clear performance advantage. The Scooby and Evo may have competition now, but they are still the Daddies, make no mistake.

NS04
Old 17 August 2005, 03:30 PM
916Duke
Scooby Regular

My mate has just got 120d as company car. It has loads of extras - M tech suspension, wheels, M3 leather seats etc...(£24k's worth!) - I had a drive in it with just 400 miles on it. I was very impressed with way it handled and the engine is very strong (for a diesel) and it generally felt very well put together - Trouble was that it's very small inside - even for me (and I'm only 5'8) and althought there was plenty of head room, the top of the windscreen seems very low and far away, its like looking through a letter box! Oh, and it looks like a training shoe from the outside. Hope that helps...
Old 17 August 2005, 05:01 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

There seem to be a lot of people on Snet since I've really been looking over the past 6 months, constantly chopping and changing cars. Buying one, changing their minds, selling it on and losing a couple of grand and then buying another new car. How on earth do people afford it? Obviously there are some rich blokes on here who can afford a scoob or an M5 or an Evo or whatever they want.

In this case selling a one year old car and losing around 4-5k in depreciation. It will take a long time to gain that back in diesel miles having forked out for the new car as well.
Old 17 August 2005, 05:51 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by mgcvk
In this case selling a one year old car and losing around 4-5k in depreciation. It will take a long time to gain that back in diesel miles having forked out for the new car as well.
Bingo! It's in the early years where you loose the most in depreciation. This negates any fuel bill savings and to compound the misery you end up with a car you don't enjoy driving as much.

NS04
Old 17 August 2005, 06:12 PM
bugsti
Scooby Regular

You are 1 ahead of me in cars but 4 behind me in years (3rd Subaru in 7 years,)!

I tend to keep my cars 3 - 4 years and have not found Subarus particulary bad for depreciation. In fact, my first Subaru (my98 turbo 2000), lost very little.

However, having no experience of 9 month ownership, I can't comment on depreciation in the short term.

Have you considered car rental? - Hertz may be cheaper than buying for 8 months!
Old 17 August 2005, 06:43 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

60 MPG on a 120d - I really doubt it! I drive one a 120d Sport regularly and am lucky to return over 36mpg on the fuel computer and that's about 33mpg in reality. The outlaws also have a 120d SE and they struggle to get over 40mpg and they are and do drive like old people! We recently did a comparison on a run between our Ibiza 160 PD Cupra and the 120d, even playing the Cupra always returned over 30mpg average but the beemer hit as low as 23!!! More gentle roads showed 44mpg on the Ibiza and 36 on the 120d. They are so upset (the 120 has ben back and tested, its fine according to the dealer) after their previous Golf TDI 110 that really did return 50 mpg that they are thinking of changing back to a Golf. Get a test drive and watch the fuel computer to see for yourself, the savings might not be what you think especially if you like to get a move on.

Other than that it is a very relaxing car to drive, very smooth and has exactly the same performance as the 160 Cupra off the mark, mid range and high speed, handles well in SE and Sport form not tried the M. If the top speed really is 139 you must need the shuttle landing strip to reach it. Lovely to sit it, yes its like a pillar box, less visibility than a TT! Marmite shape and every one I see is driven by an old person!

Oh and it still sounds like a tractor, just a quieter one!

Still if you like it, try it!
Old 17 August 2005, 06:45 PM
ForesterBoy
Scooby Regular

If you've really made your mind up best to just get shot of the scoob.

It will be worth more today than it will tommorow, simple as that.

Diesel is the way forward for any one with any sense, whether people like it or not.

60mpg instaed of 20mpg, cheap road tax, decent performance and better residuals.
Old 17 August 2005, 06:57 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Keep the scoob.
Factor in the loss on the sti and the cost of the BMW. That would pay for alot of optimax!

dipster.
Old 17 August 2005, 07:40 PM
deano555
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm not saying dont swap her , but not for a 1 series and yes I have driven loads, as previously stated they do handle well but that my friend is it.