Sponsored by:

Help.....

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 03:54 PM
mrsf
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help.....

Well at the weekend I brought a 52 reg WRX STi with 23k miles in WR Blue.

What I wanted to know is there anything that I should change? I keep hearing people say 'Oh make sure you replace/add knocklink etc or xxx will melt/the engine will blow'

Is this just old wives tales or is there some truth in it? If so what do you have/recommend to change etc?!

Rather hear it from some knowledgable owners TBH!

Cheers

MrsF

Last edited by mrsf; 15 August 2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 15 August 2005, 05:33 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming that it's an unmodified UK car (the intercooler will say "Type UK") or a Euro import, rather than JDM import, then there is nothing you need to do in the sense of things going bang if you don't. Everything is optional, and depends on what mods you plan, if any.

M
Old 15 August 2005, 06:07 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

^^^ Wot 'e said ^^^ Newage UK cars are very reliable, especially unmodified. You may want to consider uprating the brake pads with something like Ferodo DS2000/2500 and maybe adding braided lines with better DOT5.1 fluid, and tightening up the handling with solid rear droplinks and an uprated (Whiteline) ARB. Run it on Optimax/SUL and treat her to some good quality oil every 5k or so and it will be absolutely fine.
Oh, and welcome to SNet
Old 16 August 2005, 09:04 AM
mrsf
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up ..

Its an unmodified european import......and I am not planning on modding it at the moment!

Thanks for the advice........its appreciated. If anyone else has some comments then please feel free to let me know!!!
Old 16 August 2005, 05:53 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to watch out for: the infamous rear suspension "bonk", which seems to be a common STI fault, but not universal. You hear a sort of "bonk/clonk" from somewhere at the back of the car when cornering or going over bumps at low speed (at high speed you can't hear it over the exhaust/wind/road noise...). It's caused by the rear struts, and is a known issue. If the car is under extended Subaru warrantly then just get Subaru to sort it out. If it's not under warranty (private sale or whatever) then I'm not sure if the noise is serious: I have a feeling it's just annoying.

M