Importing cars from Dubai

Search this Thread

Old 15 August 2005, 11:00 AM
lowlander
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importing cars from Dubai

Hi there,

I'm working out in Dubai at the moment and am thinking about exporting a car back to the UK. Second hand RHD impreza STi's are very cheap out here (about 60% - 65% of the UK price). The cars are imported directly from Japan from track use as you can't register a RHDcar for road use in the UAE?

Anyone got any advice? I've heard some horror stories about cars being stolen in Japan and exported to the middle east. Is there any way to check?

Cheers.

Martin.
Old 15 August 2005, 11:25 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dubai certainly was the destination for virtually all of the vehicles stolen in Japan, they had an industry geared up to ringing them; few ever ended up here though. In order to prevent this Japan requires the inspection and de-registration of all vehicles that leave the country: this has been effective. If I were you I wouldnt spend too much money. As long as the car was manufactured before 311296 then registration wont be difficult, before (currently) August 1995 will need little more than an MOT. Later manufactured vehicles will almost certainly require a Model Report and an E-SVA (unless it qualifies as a Personal Import which has residence amd length of ownership stipulations), which isnt available for the majority of models. As the vehicles cant be registered in the UAE, only go for a vehicle that still has its Japanese Certificate of De-registration with translation; without it you wont be able to register the car here.

Simon