ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza turbo review.........

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2005, 03:21 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Impreza turbo review.........

I have been posting on Scoobynet for about a year now. I initially joined to seek info regarding an impreza turbo - but ended up with something else.

Anyway, I have heard people complain about lots of dealers, servicing costs, MPG, having to run most cars on 97+ ron, insurance, reliability, breaking engines, breaking gear boxes, insurance, thieves, fit and finish, quality of materials, dodgy / poor handling and general excessive premature wear and tear on all components. Then after all that they loose lots of money. And they are fugly !!! [again to 1 or more people but not all]

Obviously comments were made about certain cars and isn't a generalisation of all Scooby's. But I have to conclude that the majority of owners buy the Scooby because of the engine noise !?!?!?

Am I right ?????

Even if i am wrong, Subaru have done something right, to keep those punters happy ?
Old 10 August 2005, 04:03 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

A lot of it has to do with the Rally success , I owned one ( for about 3 months !)and liked it but the running costs far outweighed the enjoyment of it , woudn't buy another either
Old 10 August 2005, 05:16 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I have been posting on Scoobynet for about a year now. I initially joined to seek info regarding an impreza turbo - but ended up with something else.

Anyway, I have heard people complain about lots of dealers, servicing costs, MPG, having to run most cars on 97+ ron, insurance, reliability, breaking engines, breaking gear boxes, insurance, thieves, fit and finish, quality of materials, dodgy / poor handling and general excessive premature wear and tear on all components. Then after all that they loose lots of money. And they are fugly !!! [again to 1 or more people but not all]

Obviously comments were made about certain cars and isn't a generalisation of all Scooby's. But I have to conclude that the majority of owners buy the Scooby because of the engine noise !?!?!?

Am I right ?????

Even if i am wrong, Subaru have done something right, to keep those punters happy ?
In a word: no! You're always going to hear more of the bad stuff on a forum and you also have to bare in mind that a lot of the peeps who post on here have modified their cars, some very heavily.

At the end of the day, people buy Imprezas because:-

1) They're fast. Period. Anything that ducks under 6 secs to 60 and does the 30-70 increment in the same time is fast, so no silly Impreza bashing arguments there please! They also sound fantastic.
2) They handle well and are very forgiving in unforgiving conditions
3) They're good value for money, if rather expensive to run.
4) Kudos from Rallying. I don't think any of us are deluded that our road going Impreza is really a rally car- cause it isn't- but the fact that the car that Colin McRae and Richard Burns won the drivers title in was a rally version of a Scooby doesn't hurt does it!
5) They are reliable if looked after, driven sensibly with mechanical sympathy and not modded/modded intelligently. Of course there are a few bad apples, but on the whole these are bloomin tough cars, especially given what is expected of them.
6) You can have all the above, 4 doors and a boot!
7) They respond to mods very well......providing you do your homework!

NS04
Old 10 August 2005, 11:49 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kbsub
A lot of it has to do with the Rally success , I owned one ( for about 3 months !)and liked it but the running costs far outweighed the enjoyment of it , woudn't buy another either
So what the **** you doing still posting on a subaru forum FFS..!

Don't tell me, why shouldn't you..? (fooking human rights..!)
Old 11 August 2005, 09:13 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Some fair points made - i have generally supported the car as one of the best point to point cars - and some models are very pretty
Old 11 August 2005, 10:00 AM
KG386
Scooby Regular

Maybe I should find a BMW forum and harp on about how it wasn't possible to keep the car in a straight line due to tramlining, the paintwork (from new) was at best patchy, the rear suspension coils both broke at 25,000 miles for no obvious reason, the dashboard rattled, the windows creaked in the seals and the pedals were so far offset to the right that you needed to sit sideways - BUT THEN ... MAYBE I WON'T BOTHER!!

Too many non-Subaru owners with nothing better to do than post on this forum. By the way - love the WRX300 and wouldn't go back to the Beemer.

Last edited by KG386; 11 August 2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11 August 2005, 11:51 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by KG386
Maybe I should find a BMW forum and harp on about how it wasn't possible to keep the car in a straight line due to tramlining, the paintwork (from new) was at best patchy, the rear suspension coils both broke at 25,000 miles for no obvious reason, the dashboard rattled, the windows creaked in the seals and the pedals were so far offset to the right that you needed to sit sideways - BUT THEN ... MAYBE I WON'T BOTHER!!

Too many non-Subaru owners with nothing better to do than post on this forum. By the way - love the WRX300 and wouldn't go back to the Beemer.
pmsl, funny how all the most passionate replies seem to come from the newest owners...I'm not taking the pi$$ btw, just making an observation
Old 11 August 2005, 11:57 AM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
So what the **** you doing still posting on a subaru forum FFS..!

Don't tell me, why shouldn't you..? (fooking human rights..!)
Cos I like to wind up some of the kn0bheads on here
Old 11 August 2005, 01:38 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kbsub
Cos I like to wind up some of the kn0bheads on here
You'd be better off getting a life..!
Old 11 August 2005, 01:50 PM
KG386
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by trails
pmsl, funny how all the most passionate replies seem to come from the newest owners...I'm not taking the pi$$ btw, just making an observation
No problem, no pi$$ taken - time will tell, no doubt. Mind you, I mean to be ever so boring and keep the car as nature intended so hopefully it will 'survive' the 3 years I'm planning on keeping it.
Old 11 August 2005, 02:32 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

No problem, no pi$$ taken - time will tell, no doubt. Mind you, I mean to be ever so boring and keep the car as nature intended so hopefully it will 'survive' the 3 years I'm planning on keeping it.
is it a UK300 blobeye? PPP or no PPP?
Old 11 August 2005, 03:31 PM
KG386
Scooby Regular

is it a UK300 blobeye? PPP or no PPP?
Trails,

Its a WRX300 - MY2005, basically a WRX with PPP and a few other extras (Tracker etc.)

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Su...9?Opendocument
Old 11 August 2005, 03:53 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Trails,

Its a WRX300 - MY2005, basically a WRX with PPP and a few other extras (Tracker etc.)

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Su...9?Opendocument
full de-cat, sti or green panel filter and a TEK3 remap, then no more fiddling and you will get many more grins per mile...
Old 11 August 2005, 03:55 PM
KG386
Scooby Regular

full de-cat, sti or green panel filter and a TEK3 remap, then no more fiddling and you will get many more grins per mile...
BUT what about my warranty and insurance???

Told you I was boring...
Old 11 August 2005, 04:03 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

BUT what about my warranty and insurance???

Told you I was boring...
you can always alter your insurance...mmm as for the warranty, another good reason NOT to buy a new car

Good for you if you do manage to stick to not modding the thing but wait 'till someone takes you out in a car that has been
Old 11 August 2005, 04:06 PM
KG386
Scooby Regular

you can always alter your insurance...mmm as for the warranty, another good reason NOT to buy a new car

Good for you if you do manage to stick to not modding the thing but wait 'till someone takes you out in a car that has been
Me and the Mrs are off to the Rallyday at Castle Combe on Saturday - maybe I will be inspired - anyway cheers for the ideas...
Old 11 August 2005, 04:16 PM
trails
Scooby Regular

Me and the Mrs are off to the Rallyday at Castle Combe on Saturday - maybe I will be inspired - anyway cheers for the ideas...
Enjoy your day and your car

Cheers,
Ian
Old 11 August 2005, 06:58 PM
tath
Scooby Regular

hi i've got no problem with my car and was wondering if someone on this forum couldn't help me. every thing is tickety boo and my car is great.

odd that people post when they have problems and not when they don't isn't it?