Sponsored by:

Imprezas with auto boxes

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2005, 10:14 PM
Sam G
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imprezas with auto boxes

Hi, just signed up to this site, and was just wondering, what are the Imprezas with auto boxes like to drive? Are they just as fast/powerful/reliable as their manual counterparts?
Old 07 August 2005, 10:00 AM
Sam G
Scooby Newbie

Anyone???
Old 07 August 2005, 09:55 PM
Sam G
Scooby Newbie

95 views and no-one knows?
Old 07 August 2005, 10:08 PM
ed_209
Scooby Regular

I had a JDM WRX auto until aug 04 got it april 02 and it never gave any problems, did track days and sidc meets in it. Off the mark they don't wheel spin it's like having a launch type traction control. put in drive and hit the gas. car just pulls away quickly slight slower than a well driven man gearbox mid range it's much faster in the 60-80 overtake but you do loose top end speed. after delimiting it ( standard delimiter ) top end is roughly 135-140 and fuel consumption is worse, oh one other thing. don't plant the gas halfway round a corner as the box will drop a gear and take off like a bat out of hell and will catch you off guard especially in the wet.

I got rid of mine last year to buy a jag xtype but that was even worse so I sold that and got another wrx but man gearbox this time.

If you decide to get one, I have a spare autobox and parts needed for it. and the americans love auto so lots of info on their sites.

Hope this helps
Ed
Old 07 August 2005, 10:17 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

They are down on power - 220 ps compared to 240 or 260 ps like the jdm wrx saloon. They have a smaller td04 turbo which means it lacks top end grunt (as you would expect from an auto set up i guess). The autos and the jdm wagons had a td04 and the saloons had a bigger td05
I drove a auto wagon once cos it was goin cheap but was very disapointed. So i bought a manual wagon and upgraded to a td05 and z4 ecu and the difference is amazing
IMO the auto car does not have the same feel or performance at all.

Andy

Originally Posted by Sam G
Hi, just signed up to this site, and was just wondering, what are the Imprezas with auto boxes like to drive? Are they just as fast/powerful/reliable as their manual counterparts?
Old 07 August 2005, 10:33 PM
Sam G
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your input guys, I was beginning to lose faith in this site for a while LOL!

At the moment I drive an Astra 1.4 but I really want to get a Impreza now (getting bored of Vauxhalls especially slow ones, and can now afford to get a "decent" car), but for various reasons I was looking into getting one with an auto box.

I know an auto will never been as fast/powerful as the manual equivalent, but I just wanted to know what people on here thought of them before I go down the route of taking one for a test drive > buying it etc.

How does the auto work on the WRX - are they tiptronic or whatever it's called, or just a normal gear lever like in my trusty little Astra?
Old 08 August 2005, 02:17 AM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

mate iv got one and it may be for sale its a jap spec wrx with a tiptronic box its also steptronic and automatic please dont think they are slow because they are not they do have a sport mode button wich realy makes the differance iv drove this back to back with a uk 300 and it is certanly not slower i know its quicker if you want to test drive one come to middlesbrough
Old 08 August 2005, 01:38 PM
Sam G
Scooby Newbie

Middlesborough is a bit far to go for me for a test drive matey but thanks for the offer anyway!

My Astra has a 'sport mode' as well - mind you nothing much happens when you press it haha!

I've seen a few wagons/saloons for about £4k on Auto Trader - usually 1995 or similar models. Are they OK to get? And is mileage a problem with Scoobys? I hope they are more reliable than Vauxhalls?...

I just downloaded a video of a WRX auto wagon from http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Event...2NOS-1288s.wmv and it sounds very orgasmic LMAO!

I really wanna get a Scooby now!
Old 08 August 2005, 07:57 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

no problem mate im not to sure about the older ones mines a 01 model i dont think they are tiptronic
Old 08 August 2005, 11:08 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Auto's on imports only for the turbo model IIRC.
Old 09 August 2005, 09:13 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I have an automatic Forester and it's quick, despite the 174bhp as standard.

If an Impreza has the same gearbox (which the classic imports will) then the Impreza will be lighter, have more power (218bhp compared to 174bhp) and a bigger turbo (TD04 vs TE035) giving better tuning potential.

If you are after more than 218bhp, then look at an automatic JDM Legacy. If you can afford the insurance, then the later ones have twin turbos (260bhp auto, compared to 280bhp manual IIRC).

If the Imprezas are too expensive, look at automatic Legacys. The early ones are about 200-220(?)bhp, cost £500-3000 depending on condition with most selling for £1000. Same engine as the Impreza, but with a chargecooler, instead of an intercooler. Should be cheaper to insure as it is not percieved as a "boy racer" car.

Good luck

PS - I'm sure some of the Legacy owners will correct me if I have made any mistakes.
Old 09 August 2005, 06:13 PM
Sam G
Scooby Newbie

Well to be honest I was after this shape Impreza turbo auto (is this the classic shape yeah?):

And what's the difference between a chargecooler and an intercooler?

Pardon my ignorance here... I don't know that much about turbochargers and their associated bits. I've been naturally aspirated up until now LOL!
Old 09 August 2005, 06:20 PM
cw42
Scooby Regular

My mate might be selling this one soon

Pm me if your interested, and I'll pass on his details.
Chris.
ps kept up with us on the welsh evo run this year, no problems
Old 13 August 2005, 12:15 AM
bis96gw
Scooby Newbie

I drive an auto JDM Forester S/Tb (240bhp) and it is still rapid - probably more difficult to harness the power though, as someone said, plant the gas during a corner and prepare to fill your pants, as it'll drop gears and stick you straight into boost territory.... not for the faint of heart in the wet. A tip/steptronic would be a better option, preferred the auto/tip box on my FTO to be honest... much easier to control. Given the choice next time, I'd probably go for a manual, but if you're definitely after an auto, the power is still awesome, so don't worry about it.....
Old 14 August 2005, 01:22 AM
ed_209
Scooby Regular

Let us know what you decide to get Sam.

Ed
Old 20 August 2005, 01:22 AM
Morba
Scooby Newbie

Ive been looking at auto wrx wagons aswell!
Infact thats why i signed up here, to find out what the boxes are like

Seems that noone has a bad thing to say really, which is a good thing. It seems that jap vehicles are much better at handling the power over 200bhp, unlike fords etc.
Old 20 August 2005, 04:48 PM
Sam G
Scooby Newbie

Well I still wanna get an Impreza auto, but some people have told me that I would have problems with a JDM import in terms of servicing at main dealers, one person even said the windscreen is a slightly different size compared to UK ones?!

I've never bought an import before so am wanting to be extra extra cautious when buying one, things like no service history on cars make me nervous, as I don't want to spend a lot of money (to me anyway) on an Impreza only for it to go bang a week later or something.

Oh well - I have 3 months to decide what to do as my insurance is due for renewal in November, and my present company won't insure me on an Impreza until I have 2 years NCB - but I want to change companies anyway as they aren't the cheapest (Privilege).

Don't suppose there's some sort of online buyer's guide to buying an import is there? Checklists and so forth?
Old 20 August 2005, 05:07 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Most of what youve been told about imports is nonsense; if you want to buy a JDM car then go ahead. My local dealer; Montys, are more than happy to work on imports and even have a parts CD which cross references chassis numbers!

Simon
Old 21 August 2005, 08:06 AM
Big-G
Scooby Regular

I've had my JDM WRX Auto Wagon for 12 months now, here is a list of faults/problems for you to read through :-

None!!!!

Get one, use it, if you don't like it just re-sell it.
Old 21 August 2005, 09:20 PM
Sam G
Scooby Newbie

Is the insurance any cheaper on a wagon than on a sedan?
Old 19 September 2005, 01:44 AM
pabelgaduan
Scooby Newbie

I personally don't think the insurance is any different, still group 20, I pay £750 live in a decent post code and park in my driveway, 4 yrs NCB, 24 yrs old. no mods.

I have had my 94' Automatic WRX Wagon for 6 months now and I haven't had any problems, just maintenance and that's it, I recently changed the oil from the rear differential and it rides smother, other than that just normal maintenance.

As mentioned above, it can catch you out if you floor it in a bend, the turbo kicks is just after 2800 rpm and normally in that kind of situations the gearbox would donwshift and take the engine to about 3500 rpm and off you are....so be ready! The torque zone is between 3k and 4.5k RPM, don't know after that 'cause I have been too busy watching the ROAD!

The car is really practical, I have carried bath tubs, mountain bikes, big tvs, big 90cm satellite dishes and no probs.

I get about 18 MPG around town, unless I start flooring it and get it down to 14-15MPG.

Service parts are not the cheapests (had a fiesta before so you can imagine the diference) oil filter £8, fuel filter £20, air filter £10 OEM parts only and so on and so forth.

Other than that the scooby pulls like a train and gets a smile in my face.

Pabel