Sponsored by:

Car Prices

Search this Thread

Old 18 September 2000, 01:12 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

It's interesting how everyone's talking about car prices and about the fact that we're starting to see prices drop except for Subaru.

For the past few years many of us have been happy to pay around £20K for an Impreza because the performance for money was amazing.

Now that other manufacturers are finally dropping prices I have read some claims that the Impreza is overpriced. I have also realised that importing an Impreza from Holland is only so cheap because of a loophole - i.e. the Dutch have to pay more!

Anyway, as someone who likes to be sure that he hasn't been ripped off (I'm sure I'm not alone) I'd like to ask the question: "If car prices are excessive, who is actually making the money?"

I never begrudge paying for someone's hard work. I do begrudge paying a middle man who profit's from someone's hard work.
Old 18 September 2000, 01:20 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

I'm more interested in the residual and part ex values!
Need more top end speed.
Hopefully the fact that the new model is pig ugly will make mine more attractive and I can sell it private ...
Old 18 September 2000, 01:59 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Clearly the car industry has had a bad time recently. Judging by the way used car values are falling (some like stone) I think people will be very reluctant to buy new until they get a decent trade-in price for their current car.

I've just received a bid of 4K for my car against a 1995 Lexus. I wouldn't sell it for double that! So it looks like it is going to be staying for the rest of its life.

C
Old 18 September 2000, 02:32 PM
harryh
Scooby Regular

Clearly the car industry is long overdue for a bad time over here. They can hardly complain, they have been robbing us blind for years, so please, no "poor old car industry, it's getting it rough now" after all you never hear "Poor old muggers. The way the police treat them, it's a shame"

[This message has been edited by harryh (edited 18 September 2000).]
Old 18 September 2000, 03:32 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Question

Dippy,
What do you mean by the Dutch have to pay more? More than who? Even when they have paid their exorbitant car tax, it's still over £3500 cheaper than one in the UK!!

Geezer
Old 18 September 2000, 03:54 PM
ca
Scooby Regular

Harryh,

Exactly! They've had it far too good for too long.

C.
Old 18 September 2000, 05:44 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Geezer, that's what I was asking about and you have answered.

Many personal importers who boast on this BBS claim to save £5K, but that's because of the 'loophole'.

So the REAL difference between a Dutch and UK car is £3.5K? If so who is pocketing that £3.5K? Or is it more complicated than that? For example do Subaru UK have to pay more tax to import from Japan than the dealers in Holland?

I'm not defending the car industry, I'm just genuinely trying to discover the truth. It's a bit like the situation where the insurers are being slagged off for the high cost of insurance when in reality they're making a loss (or so we're told).