STi or M3

Search this Thread

Old 01 August 2005, 12:23 AM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STi or M3

Hi guys,
Just have an idea floating around my head and want some opinions. I currently have a 2004 STi but am contemplating p/x it for a 1-2 yr old M3 coupe as have had one too many niggles with the Scooby. Although I love the performance and the fun factor of the scoob, the niggles are driving me crazy at times. You could say I have a love/hate relationship with it. Anyway, anyone know what the performance of the M3 is like compared to an STi? I know the stats (0-60, top speed, torque etc) but I'd like to know what the driving experience is like. Would an M3 thrill me as much as my STi, or would I regret it for the rest of my days? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Toby
Old 01 August 2005, 12:54 AM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

M3's are nice cars and quick but when your driving one they dont really feel quick because the power delivery is smooth unlike a turbo. Dont get me wrong they are lovely cars but i didn't find it exciting to drive. Aparently the csl is a lot better though and so it should be for the extra cost. Stick with the scoob mate
Old 01 August 2005, 01:24 AM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

I've driven my mates E46 M3 cab a couple of times, its awesome to drive and kills my my00 uk turbo for accelration and top speed. But my car feels faster when your in it because the M3 is so refined, it's a really smooth drive. Impreza are a lot easier to tune. It's a hard choice i think i'd go with impreza because of the AWD and then tune it to make it quicker than the M3.
Old 01 August 2005, 09:10 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Toby,

Just out of curiosity, what are the niggles that you have/had with your Scoob? I've been toying with the idea of getting one and just wondered what they were?

Andy
Old 01 August 2005, 10:01 AM
keithD
Scooby Newbie

Just my opinion I had an manual e46 m3 which i sold and bought a new WR1 I had the wr1 a matter of weeks before putting it on the market. I then bought a M5 and now have another M3 this time a CSL.

Performance wise the M3 has more power but is a heavier car and one is a turbo and one in not, so it down to which experance you prefer . the big thing for me was the build quality of the M3 over the Impreza and the ability to cover large distnces in relative comfort, in the M3 you could potter about if that's the mood you were in , i felt like the wr1 only had one mode , maximum attack !!!

In comparing the cars you do have to consider the M3 is a much more expensive car to start with.

Keith
Old 01 August 2005, 10:09 AM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

Earlier this year I was looking for a new car and the choise came down to New Scoobie, New Evo FQ340 or 2nd hand M3. I have owned 2 M3's before - E36 and E36 Evo and I've also had a MY98 Scoobie. I test drove the M3 with both gearboxes and was disappointed - the manual had a terrible gear change and the SMG (after getting used to it) was much better but I still didn't like the way that the car drove.

I then drove the Scoobie - much more fun, much more space inside, better seating position (I'm 6'2" and found the M3 a bit short on headroom), and better handling BUT it felt like a tin can after the BMW and worst of all was the dreadful LAGGGG.

On the spur of the moment whilst passing Tewkesbury; I stopped off at Litchfields with the intention of test driving a JDM Scoobie to see if the twin scroll turbo helped with the lag. Ian pursuaded me to try a Type25 - great performance and no lag! An hour later I walked out with a new car

Two months on nothing has broken and I'm still trying to wipe the grin off my face

As you have probably gathered I can thoroughly recommend a Type25 over a UK model Scoobie or M3.

Tom

Last edited by ScoobyTom; 01 August 2005 at 10:18 AM.
Old 01 August 2005, 10:14 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Blimey Keith, thats a major car shift

must have cost you a big loss if you bought all these new.

I spent 3hrs down at BMW showroom this saturday looking at the 330 & M3 & M3 CSL & 645ci convertible.

although i didnt take any out for a test drive here's what i noticed compared to my 1999 RB5. (bear in mind i am 6' 5" tall and weigh in at 20 stone)

RB5 had more all round room and head room
M3 interior quality is a 100x better in build and looks
if you have kids and like me forget the M3 or 6 series, no rear seat leg room (AT ALL - which is y i ended up test driving a X5 4.8IS)

i know u have a more up to date scoob so I would say you would really notice the confined space in the BMW.

sorry i cannot help with any power comparisions.

NEVETAS would be a good person to speak to as he has gone from a 02 STI to M3 to M3 CSL

Trending Topics

Old 01 August 2005, 11:27 AM
keithD
Scooby Newbie

rb5 286

Bought them second hand appart from the WR1, broke even on all but the WR1!

Regarding the space for Kids,depends how old they are and how many, i have two ten year olds and a five year old and i have retro fitted a centre belt into the CSL altered the centre section of the rear seat so that i't now the same as a M3 .

There is more room in the back than the M3 Due to the CSL having much thiner seats. only minor agro is the seats don't tilt as far forward as the M3 so its a bit of a tight fit for a large adult to get in the back.

The way i think best sums my feelings up is that the m3 was not as focused as i expected it to be , the wr1 was, but was let down by the build quality. the CSL takes the best bits of both.

That said i did miss the awd comeing into work in the torential rain this morning as mine is on CUP's

My vote goes to the CSL especialy at the prices you can pick one up for. another car which i rate highly and you can pick up a decent one at reasonably money is the E39 M5, mine was awsome especialy with a milltek exhaust on it. The only reason that went was the wife could not get used to the box , and i made thing worse by fitting a quick shift!!!!

Keith
Old 01 August 2005, 11:31 AM
chippy17
Scooby Regular

I hate to say it having just bought an Impreza, but if you do not need the extra space (although the M3 is not exactly tiny inside) it has to be the M3, different league in terms of performance and price. I guess in terms of comparing performance with a new STi type Subaru perhaps not, but even that would not be able to live with an M3 at high speed.
Old 01 August 2005, 11:41 AM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by T4molie
Toby,

Just out of curiosity, what are the niggles that you have/had with your Scoob? I've been toying with the idea of getting one and just wondered what they were?

Andy
Firstly, and probably the most annoying (I have no hair left now after pulling it out) there is a very noticable rattle coming from the back. It's been back to the dealer 3 times and it's still not sorted. It's not just a case of me hearing a tiny rattle and then focusing on it and blowing it out of proprtion. Other pasengers have also commented on it saying "what's that annoying rattle". It sounds like it's coming from the rear window and sounds like something metallic tapping against it. Initially thought it was the rear seat belt mechanism, but am now convinced it's the rear window. I have to have my music cranked right up now so I don't lose the plot Going to take it to a different dealer to see if they can sort it.

Secondly I had a knocking from the rear shocks. A fairly common problem on the STi. Sorted after one visit to the dealers.

Thirdly, the aircon doesn't seem to be working correctly. Blows cold air for about 10 secs, then 'normal air for 5 secs, then cold air for 10 etc etc.

Fourthly, and not really annoying but thought I'd mention being as I'm having a rant, is the tiny squeeks and rattles you get from just about everywhere in the car. Like I said not really a problem as you have to listen for them and so normally don't hear them. Although the drivers seat has started squeeking a lot louder lately, but then again I am 19 stone (6'4" though I'd like to add ). Will ask the dealer to sort this out when it goes in for the service.

Fithly, that bloody rattle again from the rear window

Don't let all this put you off though, I think I've just been unlucky. Must have got a 'friday afternoon' car. Once you get the Scoob into the open coutryside your face starts hurting from the big smile on your face Like I said, I have a love/hate relationship.

Cheers, Toby
Old 01 August 2005, 11:46 AM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rb5 286
Blimey Keith, thats a major car shift

must have cost you a big loss if you bought all these new.

I spent 3hrs down at BMW showroom this saturday looking at the 330 & M3 & M3 CSL & 645ci convertible.

although i didnt take any out for a test drive here's what i noticed compared to my 1999 RB5. (bear in mind i am 6' 5" tall and weigh in at 20 stone)

RB5 had more all round room and head room
M3 interior quality is a 100x better in build and looks
if you have kids and like me forget the M3 or 6 series, no rear seat leg room (AT ALL - which is y i ended up test driving a X5 4.8IS)

i know u have a more up to date scoob so I would say you would really notice the confined space in the BMW.

sorry i cannot help with any power comparisions.

NEVETAS would be a good person to speak to as he has gone from a 02 STI to M3 to M3 CSL
Space isn't too much of an issue to be honest. I don't have any kids and don't carry passengers all that often. Plus I had a 2001 BMW 330 sport coupe before the Scoob and didn't have a problem with the size then. Surely the M3 is the same size?
Cheers, Toby
Old 01 August 2005, 11:59 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Cheers Toby

Just one more quick q..... you being 6' 4" did you not find that the seating position was a little high? I'm 6' 3" and found that even on the lowest setting I still felt like I was higher up than in my MY02 WRX?

Andy
Old 01 August 2005, 12:17 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Cheers Toby

Just one more quick q..... you being 6' 4" did you not find that the seating position was a little high? I'm 6' 3" and found that even on the lowest setting I still felt like I was higher up than in my MY02 WRX?

Andy
Can't compare with that I'm afraid as I've never been in a MY02 WRX. However, I did feel like I was sat high after having had my BMW. It felt like I was sitting in a Range Rover or something. However, I did get used to it in no time and now actually like being sat that bit higher, it gives you much a better vision. Plus there's still a fair ammount of headroom and you don't feel like the roof is coming down over you and cutting out some of your view.
Cheers,Toby
Old 01 August 2005, 04:42 PM
MitcheAndr
Scooby Newbie

hi
just swopped my Lexus is200 sport for a wrx with a ppp on it. has 600 miles on it now, and has started to talk to me (rattle and squeak) , the lexus had 47,000 miles and no rattles. but i would not go back!!!!!!!!! the scooby feels so much more fun to drive
Old 02 August 2005, 10:12 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Going for a test drive in a M3 on sunday at Sytenr BMW in Sheffield Will let you know what I think.
Old 09 August 2005, 12:12 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Well I've been for the test drive in the M3, 2 M3's to be exact. What an awesome car. The sound is to die for, the looks are to die for. The car is sooo precise around the corners, it feels much sturdier than the scoob. I know we're all lead to believe that Scoobies have the ultimate road holding but I'm not so sure. The M3 feels like it will stick forever and a day, even when flooring it out of the corner. The luxury and build quality are obviously in a different league.

However, in a strange way this all contributes to me deciding to stick with my Scoob for now. The Scooby is just somehow more fun to drive, probably due to it's lack of sofistication. Although it's not, the Scoob feels quicker under acceleration due to it being all or nothing, whereas the M3 is more gradual (the power's there right from the start though). The M3 just doesn't excite the same way the Scooby does. I will definately buy an M3 within the next couple of years, maybe within the next year but I'm sticking with my Scoob for now. I just haven't had all my fun with it yet.
Old 09 August 2005, 03:13 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

So you're keeping the scoob

I pick up my 05 STi on Saturday....hopefully

Bye Bye WRX......
Old 09 August 2005, 09:27 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

So you're keeping the scoob

I pick up my 05 STi on Saturday....hopefully

Bye Bye WRX......
Nice What colour have you gone for?
Old 09 August 2005, 09:43 PM
Elmer Fudpucker
BANNED

Not very constructive I know

but i would eat worms for breakfast before considering any BMW as my choice of vehicle
Old 09 August 2005, 09:46 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine has just bought a 04 plated e46 M3 and i went for a spin
with him.

Now having owned a Beemer myself it was like a dream for me to jump into
the seat.......oh dear if your after the sort of kick you get from the Scoob
it won't happen.

Once you have driven a Turbo'd motor i think you get a little spoilt.

As for build quility, well another league and the M3 is a stunning looking car.

One thing to bear in mind though are it's wet weather capabilities, my friend
has spun his twice now, not someting you will do in the Scoob.

4WD does give you that extra safety feature.

Rob
Old 10 August 2005, 10:31 AM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

and a silly point to add, but how many e46 m3's do you see. And people say scoobies are common
Old 10 August 2005, 10:56 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by automodellistagt
and a silly point to add, but how many e46 m3's do you see. And people say scoobies are common
Whats worse is the number of 'M3 pretenders' out there! Just stick an M3 badge on it and it gives it 300bhp don't ya know!

My M3 cab owner never let me behind the wheel of his, but I did get severl passenger rides and can confirm that the engine is an absolute peach in looks and delivery, there is clearly a lot of grip and traction and the build quality is superb.

BUT

Once you've gotten used to a turbo, it's hard to go back to Naturally aspirated cars, unless you go for a large capacity one with oddles of torque! like oh, I don't know....a V8! The M3 just doesn't deliver the kick in the back that the Scooby does and I have a distinct feeling that the average driver just wouldnt be confident enough to be able to enjoy the M3s abilities on the road like they could in a scooby. Also in the wet, the M3 is just not going to be as able as a well sorted 4wd drive car like the Scooby.

It must be said, that I really liked the Beemer though, but I love the scooby

NS04
Old 10 August 2005, 12:05 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by snerkler
Nice What colour have you gone for?
Ermmmmmmm...... BLUE

I did consider both the silver and the Crystal Grey, but everybody seems to have a silver car and unfortunately the Crystal Grey is er not quite as grey as I would have liked

Now if the Crystal Grey had been the same as the RB5 grey then I would have gone for that
Old 10 August 2005, 12:10 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Ermmmmmmm...... BLUE

I did consider both the silver and the Crystal Grey, but everybody seems to have a silver car and unfortunately the Crystal Grey is er not quite as grey as I would have liked

Now if the Crystal Grey had been the same as the RB5 grey then I would have gone for that
Well i wish you all the best with your new Beemer.

It really is a stunning looking car........ if only i could afford one !

Rob
Old 10 August 2005, 12:55 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Well i wish you all the best with your new Beemer.

It really is a stunning looking car........ if only i could afford one !

Rob
Thanks Rob.... but just to be clear it's a 05 STi I'm getting
Old 10 August 2005, 03:44 PM
scoobfan
Scooby Regular

Thanks Rob.... but just to be clear it's a 05 STi I'm getting
Doh !!!!
Old 10 August 2005, 04:18 PM
jimmyu.r.uk
BANNED

Have OFTEN driven both and always enjoy an STi more , even with cabriolet M3 in nice weather , the STi is just more involving and exciting when giving it some , also mmore of a mans car than a reps or a womans .
imo